Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Hello everyone.
I have a small story of sorts for you and if you would be so kind as to give me suggestions or help, that'd be wonderful. I also have some questions just for you! =D
Feel free to jump into the chat <3

I am now, 19 years old, starting to come into my own person. I am discovering the magic that is makeup (I have made a few threads about that if you've seen them) and am also discovering my sense of fashion and style. I like to say that I have good fashion sense, I just don't use it on myself for a few reasons: I don't have much extra money to spend, no really good clothing stores, I am plus size so it's hard to find something I actually like. I guess what I am trying to say is, do you have an suggestions on where I can start so I can become the person I want to be and know is hidden inside of me somewhere? lol.
I have no clue where to really look for the clothes I like. I would have to describe my own style as more of a relaxed, layered, brown and white scheme, maybe some floral and bits of color pop. I was thinking of going to the local Salvation Army and raiding those clothing racks, but they don't have much of a selection. Any ideas or help would be nice ^_^

Also some questions, just for you:

- when did you discover your fashion sense/style?
- what are some of your favorite clothing stores?
- do you have an inspiration for what you wear (ex: a celebrity's style or maybe a favorite color scheme)?

Eloquent Vampire

I just gave up caring what people thought of me, trying to impress them and fit in with them, and just did what I wanted to do, for my own benefit. There is no use trying to impress those who won't be impressed, there is no point trying to please those who won't be pleased, so why bother?

I was once called a "scene kid" because when I walked into a room I "made a scene." Apparently it was all because of my purple hair, visible body modifications and uncommon style of dress. I was like "b***h, please. I make a scene because I'm hawt!" talk2hand That will always be my favorite fashion insult I've received, because it was just so funny.

I moved into the goth scene in about late 9th grade into my sophomore year of high school. I had always liked it and at that point just wanted to do it, since everything else I'd done to fit in failed, I might as well fail while doing something I actually enjoyed. It was mall goth, admittedly, but it was a stepping stone most goths go through in one form or another. I had a few goth friends to hang out with and I just kind of did what I wanted to do. I never liked the trends of the time, didn't like the people in those trends, and I knew it would be impossible to be friends with them, make them like me or whatever, so why even bother? I was uncomfortable in those fashions anyway, they didn't fit my body type or my personality, so I just gave it up.

I fell out of the goth scene a few years ago. It just wasn't appealing to me at the time, the people in the scene were discouraging and unsupportive, and it just wasn't fitting my life. I still loved goth and things it stood for and represented, just the fashions weren't what I wanted. I got really into the 60's-70's retro vintage thing that came out around that time, with some Asian influences.

More recently I've gotten back into the goth scene. I do it for myself and my own benefit, and people can either take that or leave it. I am not trying to make a scene, I'm not trying to get attention, I'm not trying to "out goth" people, I'm just doing what I want, how I want it, because it makes me happy. The attention is just an unfortunate, though expected, side-effect of the way I've chosen to dress and decorate myself.

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
incredibly deadly lisa
You could go into the gym and see if the girl inside you will come out.

not what I meant.
I want to be able to express mysef through clothes and make up.
Not through sweaty gym socks and side stiches.

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Jagger-Wolf

Wow you've had quite the fashionable journey. So I am assuming that you just wore whatever you wanted whether or not people liked it lol. I grew up in a restricting household so I couldn't dye my hair or wear lots of makeup..I was "too young"..well that was the excuse given lol. A lot of my friends in high school were into goth and were considered "scene" as well. I would go to school and they would put eyeliner on me and some other makeup. ^__^
I have always been the tomboy who wears nothing but t-shirts and jeans. Nothing special. But like I mentioned, I've been finding it more appealing to myself to want to show my actual fashion sense. Like I want to show how I feel..ugh so hard to describe. I just wanna be comfortable with myself, and I find that I feel good about myself when I have clothes on that I actually like to wear and makeup that enhances my better features. A sort of confidence. =)

Eloquent Vampire

Double Boubble
Jagger-Wolf

Wow you've had quite the fashionable journey. So I am assuming that you just wore whatever you wanted whether or not people liked it lol. I grew up in a restricting household so I couldn't dye my hair or wear lots of makeup..I was "too young"..well that was the excuse given lol. A lot of my friends in high school were into goth and were considered "scene" as well. I would go to school and they would put eyeliner on me and some other makeup. ^__^
I have always been the tomboy who wears nothing but t-shirts and jeans. Nothing special. But like I mentioned, I've been finding it more appealing to myself to want to show my actual fashion sense. Like I want to show how I feel..ugh so hard to describe. I just wanna be comfortable with myself, and I find that I feel good about myself when I have clothes on that I actually like to wear and makeup that enhances my better features. A sort of confidence. =)
Not really. I tried the trendy stuff as best I could, figured out it didn't work for me, then went with something that did.

I wore what I wanted. People either liked it, or didn't. I didn't care so long as they weren't openly hostile about to my face or within earshot.

I didn't have any interest in coloring my hair anything crazy at a young age, though I did do black. And I had bleached Rogue-like streaks for a while. Other than that, I was a pretty normal kid. I didn't even start getting any of my body modifications until I was 19 and out of high school. I just didn't have the overwhelming driving NEED to have them or die, which seems to be the prevailing motivation now.

I was a mall goth before emo and scene were a thing, so there was no confusion and it wasn't a problem.

I grew up as a tomboy too, which is why I am still uncomfortable in skirts and dresses. Skirts and dresses=special occasion. Special occasion=best girl manners and proper-ness. Best girl manners=uncomfortable situations and people and interactions. That's all I associate them with, but I'm slowly getting better. Wearing leggings under pretty much every single skirt I own has helped alleviate a lot of the awkwardness I feel.

Don't rush your style, and you don't have to fit any sort of established style out there. Don't be anything you don't want to be, you don't HAVE to have a one-word description for your style, you don't need a "label." (We can have the discussion on why the hating labels argument is stupid and asinine later on, should the need or want arise). Do what you want. Do what makes you happy. Wear what you feel good in, and don't give two shits to someone who doesn't understand it or you. They're not the people you want to be friends with anyway.

Lunatic

11,525 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
incredibly deadly lisa

Your a Troll.
GTFO!

Anyways Double sweetie I think its lovely that you are looking for your taste in fashion it takes allot of time to get together some girls it comes naturally but to us Plus Sized women it's kinda hard to find certain sizes that fit our style. I myself often have found that shopping at GoodWill, Ross, Torrid, and even a couple Maternity stores (for interview shirts, I'm also quite busty as well) have some great selections at reasonable prices.

I'm more of a Jeans and T-shirt kinda girl but when I feel like dressing up a nice pair of black slacks and a colored dress shirt is what does it for me. As for makeup I'm just getting into it as well sweatdrop I use a bit of eyeliner, masquera, and blush every now and then but that's about it nothing to elaborate.

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Chibi Shippo Chan
incredibly deadly lisa

Your a Troll.
GTFO!

Anyways Double sweetie I think its lovely that you are looking for your taste in fashion it takes allot of time to get together some girls it comes naturally but to us Plus Sized women it's kinda hard to find certain sizes that fit our style. I myself often have found that shopping at GoodWill, Ross, Torrid, and even a couple Maternity stores (for interview shirts, I'm also quite busty as well) have some great selections at reasonable prices.

I'm more of a Jeans and T-shirt kinda girl but when I feel like dressing up a nice pair of black slacks and a colored dress shirt is what does it for me. As for makeup I'm just getting into it as well sweatdrop I use a bit of eyeliner, masquera, and blush every now and then but that's about it nothing to elaborate.

Thank you for pointing out the troll. I reported her for trolling. I don't think it was needed for her to troll me for my size..anyways..

My mom has been pretty supportive and you and her seem to be on the same page. the dressy shirt and some black slacks. she also does the little bit of make up but she's really into lip gloss while i'm into lip stick..kinda funny to me ^^;;

I just don't know where to really start. i was thinking about asking for giftcards for christmas and maybe when i DO have extra money, buy 1 article of clothing at a time like i like, so i don't have to worry about budget too much.

I have never thought about maternity stores, they do have some nice clothing. =) I think I have a mternity shirt somewhere, it's on of my favorites, but i'm self concious when I wear it because I know where it came from. >.<;;

Timid Fatcat

I just wear whatever I think looks neat, but it also depends on my mood. I don't think I have a particular sense of style, because it changes every day. Sometimes I like lacey frilly things and some days I dress just in baggy everything. It was just this year that I kind of came into acknowledging that my style was not having a style, and I'm okay with that. 3nodding

Chatty Smoker

Try Goodwill and stuff. I know you said Salvation Army doesn't have much of a selection, but there's plenty of thrift stores, and some real gems if you look closely. I sometimes go through racks and racks at Goodwill only to find the one thing I totally love at the very end. It does take a lot of searching to get a good bargain, but worth it in the end!

My style just evolved over the years. I get my inspiration from pictures I see in magazines and celebrities.

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
such small hands

I just wear whatever I think looks neat, but it also depends on my mood. I don't think I have a particular sense of style, because it changes every day. Sometimes I like lacey frilly things and some days I dress just in baggy everything. It was just this year that I kind of came into acknowledging that my style was not having a style, and I'm okay with that. 3nodding

Not having a style, well that's awesome! That seems really easy to just wear whatever you want when you feel it. =) cool cool

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Princezz Brianna
Try Goodwill and stuff. I know you said Salvation Army doesn't have much of a selection, but there's plenty of thrift stores, and some real gems if you look closely. I sometimes go through racks and racks at Goodwill only to find the one thing I totally love at the very end. It does take a lot of searching to get a good bargain, but worth it in the end!

My style just evolved over the years. I get my inspiration from pictures I see in magazines and celebrities.

We have a Goodwill too but it's a bit out of the way so I do go when I can but it's not often. One time I found this really nice hippy type shirt that was more for the dressy occasion, and it was like $2. That made my day! :3

Which celebrities? ^_^

Chatty Smoker

Double Boubble
Princezz Brianna

We have a Goodwill too but it's a bit out of the way so I do go when I can but it's not often. One time I found this really nice hippy type shirt that was more for the dressy occasion, and it was like $2. That made my day! :3

Which celebrities? ^_^

I don't really have any specifics. I just look in People magazine and stuff and see what they're wearing. Also, I look at clothing advertisements in magazines. They're actually good for SOMETHING I guess razz I get ideas from there too.

This is random but when I'm buying clothes I always make sure it 1) fits 2) is reasonably priced and 3) I have stuff to wear it with. There's a lot of things I'd like to own, but think... do I really have anything to wear this with? I'd love a collection of heels but I only have a few because I know I only wear them on special occasions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff