Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,825 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Ok, so the other night, I applied henna hair dye to my hair, and it was red just fyi.Well... it didn't work as well as I had though, and I only left it in for an hour. I was wondering if I could but apply it again this week and I have dark brown almost black hair. Also another question, this is temporary right? It only stays in for a month right? (PLEASE QUOTE I WILL GET IT MUCH QUICKER)

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
In my experience with henna, you really need to keep it on longer. One hour is not going to do anything, especially with dark hair.
I would say that since there's no ammonia or harsh chemicals that re-dying it within a short amount of time will not be as detrimental as using hair dye. Also, the henna needs to build in your hair so re-dying is a good thing.
As for the temporary-ness of Henna, Read this: http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html In my experience, it will fade in your hair... but does not completely go away.
What kind of henna are you using? Are you using the actual henna powder? If not, I suggest you do. I tried to use a henna bar that Lush was selling.... worst thing ever, didn't work.
Anyway this is my routine to bring out as much color as possible, it's not scientifically proven or anything, it's just what I have tried to make the red stand out:
First I mix the henna with pure orange juice (I use simply orange no pulp). The acidity in the orange juice helps bring out the color. I put in just enough to get it all moist, so it will still have a very thick consistency. (You don't want too much because too much acidity isn't great for your hair). I leave that over night.
In the morning, I brew 3-4 of Tea bags of Rooibos tea in 2 cups of water to make it strong, since it's a "red" tea I figure it has the best effect, but any tea will do. I pour it in while it's crazy hot, and bring the mixture into a nice thick lotion consistency, not so soupy that it'll fall off my head and not so thick that it's like rubbing clay in there. I will also add in cinnamon. Some sites recommend adding turmeric and paprika, I have yet to do that... but I want to. Then I go to work for 8 hours and let the tea absorb in. When I get home, I apply it to my hair. Wrap it up in plastic wrap, and hang out for like 3-4 hours to really let it set in. Since I live in California, I don't have to worry about keeping the mixture warm in my hair, but I have seen on other forums that people will lightly blow dry the plastic wrap just to warm up the mixture on your head and put a towel around it.
People also suggest putting in essential oils, but I have no experience with that.
So after 4 hours minimum or longer if I can stand it, I wash it all out. I do not use any shampoo, I just use conditioner to help with the tangles
Anyway, this website has bunch of helpful tips, and mixes that seem to work great
http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Umbraphilia
Ok, so the other night, I applied henna hair dye to my hair, and it was red just fyi.Well... it didn't work as well as I had though, and I only left it in for an hour. I was wondering if I could but apply it again this week and I have dark brown almost black hair. Also another question, this is temporary right? It only stays in for a month right? (PLEASE QUOTE I WILL GET IT MUCH QUICKER)

I forgot to quote you in my previous post... my bad.
Ofcourse you can dye your Double hair coloring but use Amonia free hair color because it is harmful for your long strong Hair.. be carefull.

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Shaniatwain427
Ofcourse you can dye your Double hair coloring but use Amonia free hair color because it is harmful for your long strong Hair.. be carefull.

Henna doesn't have Amonia, it's a natural plant product.

Obsessive Cultist

Pretty much what Classy Dame said. Doing a second round won't hurt and you should definitely keep the henna in longer next time.
I usually have mine in all day and don't add anything to the mix. Just pure henna powder and hot water since that seems to work best for me.
If your hair really is almost black to begin with, I hope you don't expect to get flaming red hair from this though. No matter what you add to the mix or how long you leave it in, not gonna happen.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
Pretty sure henna is permanent.

Demonic Darling

13,590 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Nerd 50
angel_259236102
Pretty sure henna is permanent.

^this is true.
Henna is basically permanent. It will fade for the first couple of days, and the color may vary from day-to-day (mine varies so much that people sometimes think I dyed my hair again). Overall, though, it's going to stay in your hair for good.

Classy Dame is right. Personally I use lemon juice instead of orange juice but it's all personal preference. I leave mine in for around 4 hours but honestly, you can leave henna in for as long as you want. It's not going to fry your hair. Just remember - it IS permanent so it's better to re-apply rather than apply too much!

7,825 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Classy Dame
In my experience with henna, you really need to keep it on longer. One hour is not going to do anything, especially with dark hair.
I would say that since there's no ammonia or harsh chemicals that re-dying it within a short amount of time will not be as detrimental as using hair dye. Also, the henna needs to build in your hair so re-dying is a good thing.
As for the temporary-ness of Henna, Read this: http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html In my experience, it will fade in your hair... but does not completely go away.
What kind of henna are you using? Are you using the actual henna powder? If not, I suggest you do. I tried to use a henna bar that Lush was selling.... worst thing ever, didn't work.
Anyway this is my routine to bring out as much color as possible, it's not scientifically proven or anything, it's just what I have tried to make the red stand out:
First I mix the henna with pure orange juice (I use simply orange no pulp). The acidity in the orange juice helps bring out the color. I put in just enough to get it all moist, so it will still have a very thick consistency. (You don't want too much because too much acidity isn't great for your hair). I leave that over night.
In the morning, I brew 3-4 of Tea bags of Rooibos tea in 2 cups of water to make it strong, since it's a "red" tea I figure it has the best effect, but any tea will do. I pour it in while it's crazy hot, and bring the mixture into a nice thick lotion consistency, not so soupy that it'll fall off my head and not so thick that it's like rubbing clay in there. I will also add in cinnamon. Some sites recommend adding turmeric and paprika, I have yet to do that... but I want to. Then I go to work for 8 hours and let the tea absorb in. When I get home, I apply it to my hair. Wrap it up in plastic wrap, and hang out for like 3-4 hours to really let it set in. Since I live in California, I don't have to worry about keeping the mixture warm in my hair, but I have seen on other forums that people will lightly blow dry the plastic wrap just to warm up the mixture on your head and put a towel around it.
People also suggest putting in essential oils, but I have no experience with that.
So after 4 hours minimum or longer if I can stand it, I wash it all out. I do not use any shampoo, I just use conditioner to help with the tangles
Anyway, this website has bunch of helpful tips, and mixes that seem to work great
I did use powder. and thank you. Um could you tell me if it's permanent or not? A ffriend of mine who used it said it isn't permanent and the box said it isn't. But I'm slightly unsure.

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Umbraphilia
Classy Dame
I did use powder. and thank you. Um could you tell me if it's permanent or not? A ffriend of mine who used it said it isn't permanent and the box said it isn't. But I'm slightly unsure.

the website said: "Even the most “Permanent” hair products are not truly permanent. Once the henna’s dye has oxidized and reached its final shades, the color is permanently impregnated into the strand. Shampooing, chlorine, blow-drying, will all cause some type of degradation. Because there is a single-compound natural dye in henna, it is far less likely to go brassy or bronze like multiple-compound synthetic dyes, which will degrade and change color after a shorter period of time, and do not bond to the hair in the same way. "
I find that yes it does fade after some time but your hair will not go back to its normal color before you dyed it.
sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment. but i have a question about henna dying my hair and do not wish to make a whole new thread.

I have dyed my hair with box dye red color for a while. It fades quickly, and i have never gotten the right natural red head color i want with these box dyes...so i want to try henna dying to achieve the natural redhead color smile ... So, 2 questions...

will red body art quality henna be the right color for me to get the color i want (like the little picture below)?
User Image
and...
with the fact that i have been dying my hair with box dyes effect to color and outcome of the henna dye? will my many years use of ammonia dyes mess with the henna when i apply it?

also...where can i buy this henna?...can someone provide a link or something? biggrin

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Cup o Spoilers
sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment. but i have a question about henna dying my hair and do not wish to make a whole new thread.

I have dyed my hair with box dye red color for a while. It fades quickly, and i have never gotten the right natural red head color i want with these box dyes...so i want to try henna dying to achieve the natural redhead color smile ... So, 2 questions...

will red body art quality henna be the right color for me to get the color i want (like the little picture below)?
User Image
and...
with the fact that i have been dying my hair with box dyes effect to color and outcome of the henna dye? will my many years use of ammonia dyes mess with the henna when i apply it?

also...where can i buy this henna?...can someone provide a link or something? biggrin

1) It depends on what color your hair is now as to what color it will turn out. I would say that the first time you henna your hair, it's probably not going to be that red color your want it. Henna is all about building the color over time. Obviously the lighter your hair the more red it will look.
2) From what I have read, henna does not play well with ammonia dyes, so you want to wait a while maybe a few weeks to a month before you put henna on your hair, just so that you're sure the ammonia and stuff is gone. This site provides a lot of good information Especially about the way chemicals mix with henna.
This is where I purchased my BAQ Henna from I have never had a problem with them, neither has my sister-in-law. They also have these interesting things called Option Bars, which are shampoo bars with henna in them that help to build and maintain the color. I'm still up in the air about them though. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hygienic Member

maybe i'm missing you
I know a girl who wraps her hair in seran wrap, puts on a bathing cap and sleeps with it in. It gets a really nice colour but her hair is also like a medium brownish colour.
yum_tea

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces