Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Fairy

12,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
okay, so i have alot of things to talk about here.

first off, i have fine hair, which gets greasy within 24 hours.

many people have told me that i am a clean freak and need to calm it down a little.

i recently started to wash my hair twice a day and shower twice a day, but i have noticed its too much. when i was little i always used to get complements on my hair, saying it was shiny and soft. i am going to go back to only washing my hair once a day, because it seem just right for me.

ONLY thing about that is that i have to wash my hair in order to feel clean. I shower in the morning because it makes me feel clean and then i shower right before i go to bed. i cannot stand going to bed dirty, and i have to wash my sheets the next day if i do not take a shower before i go to bed night.

I think part of me feeling dirty is having two girls in my class who have very low hygiene. they smell constantly and their hair is greasy, and i am forced to have to sit by them, and at the end of the day i feel like i have their smell, and i am afraid to look the way they do. Infact, i recently got ringworm from sitting by one of them, so it makes me feel even dirtier and making me feel like i need to shower more. I also had surgery 2 months ago (august 8th), so i am trying to stay clean while my body is healing, and i haven't got sick since then which is weird because after surgery your immune system isn't as strong for at least 6 months, and almost everybody in my 19 student class has, multiple times because viruses/sicknesses around the school.

so i am basically asking, am i being too clean?

P.S. I am sorry for all the grammatical errors, i am so tired that i am shaking while typing this.

Eloquent Vampire

Washing too often is TERRIBLE for your skin and hair. Over washing causes your skin and hair to produce more oils to counteract you stripping them away constantly. So the vicious cycle continues; the more you wash, the more you feel you HAVE to wash.

The natural oils on your skin and hair are good for them, they're naturally moisturizing and protective. Constantly washing them away with harsh chemicals in soaps and shampoos is incredibly detrimental to skin and hair health. You HAVE to have some oils on your skin and hair for them to be healthy. Washing too often with harsh cleansers/chemicals can lead to severe dermatitis, or infections of the skin.

Ideally, you should be showering once a day, or even once every other day. Shampoo only 2-3 times a week, and condition every time you shower. Constantly washing your skin actually leaves you open to infection and sickness more, because you're washing away the good bacteria and oils on your skin that protect you from harm.

EDIT: After having done some quick reading on ringworm, you only get it by touching the affected areas on people with it. You CAN get it from infected dogs or cats, but that way is rare. So you must have actually touched these filthy girls, on their infected areas, which tends to be warm moist areas, like skin folds, arm pits, groin, etc. areas. You can also get it by sharing things they use, like towels, clothes, hair brushes, etc. You can also get it semi-randomly, as it lives in soil and can live on surfaces for a short period of time.

Lavish Wench

12,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
My god... No one should be forced to sit next to someone so filthy that they risk getting fungal infections.

I'd say something to the authority figure in this situation, it's obviously causing you mental distress... And I'd say for good reason. Demand to move, it's for your health and well-being.

Wheezing Fairy

12,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Lilac Wood
My god... No one should be forced to sit next to someone so filthy that they risk getting fungal infections.

I'd say something to the authority figure in this situation, it's obviously causing you mental distress... And I'd say for good reason. Demand to move, it's for your health and well-being.

I just gah

I sit by the one that gave me ring worm in about 3 of my 7 classes
And I got lunch detention twice for asking to be moved to a different seat

Wheezing Fairy

12,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Jagger-Wolf
Washing too often is TERRIBLE for your skin and hair. Over washing causes your skin and hair to produce more oils to counteract you stripping them away constantly. So the vicious cycle continues; the more you wash, the more you feel you HAVE to wash.

The natural oils on your skin and hair are good for them, they're naturally moisturizing and protective. Constantly washing them away with harsh chemicals in soaps and shampoos is incredibly detrimental to skin and hair health. You HAVE to have some oils on your skin and hair for them to be healthy. Washing too often with harsh cleansers/chemicals can lead to severe dermatitis, or infections of the skin.

Ideally, you should be showering once a day, or even once every other day. Shampoo only 2-3 times a week, and condition every time you shower. Constantly washing your skin actually leaves you open to infection and sickness more, because you're washing away the good bacteria and oils on your skin that protect you from harm.

EDIT: After having done some quick reading on ringworm, you only get it by touching the affected areas on people with it. You CAN get it from infected dogs or cats, but that way is rare. So you must have actually touched these filthy girls, on their infected areas, which tends to be warm moist areas, like skin folds, arm pits, groin, etc. areas. You can also get it by sharing things they use, like towels, clothes, hair brushes, etc. You can also get it semi-randomly, as it lives in soil and can live on surfaces for a short period of time.

I got the ringworm because one of them has like 20 cats and she got them from them and another student and I got it from her just because of sitting by her. You can get ringworm without touching someone, or example if they touched the infected area, and then touched the desk, and I touched the desk, and then touched my hand or something, I could get it. I just feel gross
Yes, as stated before you are washing the natural oils on your skin.

You sound as though you possibly have mysophobia, also known as germaphobia, and with utmost respect I think you should look into counseling.

Wheezing Fairy

12,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Averiyx
Yes, as stated before you are washing the natural oils on your skin.

You sound as though you possibly have mysophobia, also known as germaphobia, and with utmost respect I think you should look into counseling.

Thank you, I can handle different types of dirty, I just feel like when I'm in school I smell bad like them. I have very good skin, I hardly get pimples and I am a teenager so that says something.

Tipsy Kitten

You should bring it up with someone that the people in your class cause you mental distress. Just tell them that you're big on hygene and that it bothers you, they should understand you shouldn't have to be FORCED near people with bad hygene.
It does sound like you are too clean.
And do you know that washing too often makes you more susceptible for infections. By washing that often, you break down the natural barrier of your skin and actually give that ringworm a lot of space to do whatever it wants.
It also can irritate your skin and cause atopic eczema (which can look a lot like ringworm, but is not communicable).

I also feel the need to shower a lot, which is one of the reasons why I have atopic eczema. (an other reason is the season, I am more likely to get it in the winter/fall/spring. and genetic predisposition)
I shower once a day, which my doctor told me was a lot, but not too often, if I don't use too harsh products. I feel filthy if I do not shower every morning, so I try to change the products I use. Instead of shampooing all of my hair in the morning, I only shampoo my fringe and use conditioner on everything else.
And I moved to a SLS and SLES free soap, so it is less harsh to my skin. And already that warm water can make me feel a bit cleaner.

Mega Shopper

Not really, but showering twice a day is too much. However, you DID mention that you sit next to two very un-hygenic girls in school. Can you consult the teacher in private to move your seat? Tell her about the ringworm and how you feel very dirty and uncomfortable sitting next to them. Usually reasonable seat changes like that are fine. If not you can probably bring it to the school board, because you feel it's personally hurting your health (and it sort of is).

Showering/washing your hair too often dries out your skin and hair, and actually makes your hair get oily quicker because it feels the need to replenish the oils that you're washing away more. I know everyone is different, but I used to wash my hair daily also, then I went to every other day, now it's every 3-4 days.

Questionable Streaker

10,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm the same way. I shower 2-3 times every single day, just because I can't handle feeling dirty. Like I feel like just being out makes me dirty. And I physically cannot go to bed if I haven't showered, because I'll get the bed dirty and I can't sleep in a dirty bed.

But it's bad for your skin and hair, and really dries you out. Or, well, it does me at least. Now that the colder weather is coming in, I'll have to cut back or my skin starts to flake and peel, especially my arms and eyelids.

And I'm sick as ******** right now and wash my hands ALL THE TIME, so who knows. Sometimes you just get sick.

I don't think you're too clean, though. You can't be too clean, unless it's damaging your skin or hair.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff