Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pyris's Wife

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm curious of the people that use them on a regular/semi-regular basis. I understand it may not be recommended to use them all the time, but what about some of the time?

How does it go down, using them I mean? Do you keep them safe somewhere? Do you use those stickers to put them on or the glue? How long do they last? What's the process of having them and taking care of them?

Any info is great! Thanks!

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300

Chatty Smoker

I used to get my nails done, not use the stick on ones. I used stick on ones once and they were made of plastic and fell right off :/ they were pretty uncomfortable.

Naughty Moonwalker

I've only had mine done once. I didnt like it but i loved the tapping noise i could make.
now i just paint my normal nails or add a texture. Its alot funner than ripping one of the fake nails off
I've heard of bad things about acrylics, so I always went with gel or solar nails instead. :/
Though I'm talking about the ones you get done at a salon.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
horror-piece
I've heard of bad things about acrylics, so I always went with gel or solar nails instead. :/
Though I'm talking about the ones you get done at a salon.

Oh? What kind of things?
Crinis
Oh? What kind of things?

Big one I hear is that 'exposure to sunlight made them go yellow'

Gawker

As far as I'm aware, you can't take acrylic nails off and put them back on. Those are just regular plastic nails.

Having acrylics really wears your nail out where they file it down and scuff it to apply the acrylic solution. My recent set came off a few weeks ago and I have to keep cutting my nails down to the finger because they're so weak. Waiting for the new growth to make it all the way to the top of my nail.

However, if you want to do them every so often, wait for your strong new growth to grow back first before re-application. That way, you can have the acrylic set on strong nails.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
horror-piece
Crinis
Oh? What kind of things?

Big one I hear is that 'exposure to sunlight made them go yellow'

Ahh. That is something I will look into, as far as protection goes. Thanks!

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Rhouis
As far as I'm aware, you can't take acrylic nails off and put them back on. Those are just regular plastic nails.

Having acrylics really wears your nail out where they file it down and scuff it to apply the acrylic solution. My recent set came off a few weeks ago and I have to keep cutting my nails down to the finger because they're so weak. Waiting for the new growth to make it all the way to the top of my nail.

However, if you want to do them every so often, wait for your strong new growth to grow back first before re-application. That way, you can have the acrylic set on strong nails.

Thank you very much, I will try to keep this in mind!

I'm thinking this may be one of the things that nail strengthener may be for?

Vicious Bloodsucker

5,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300
AS is mentioned before about gel nails. I've heard gel nails are much better than acrylic nails. If you're interested you should look into gel nails, they are pretty much the same only made out of gel and I THINK but not sure, are a bit better on your nails as well. (less damaging)

Fashionable Noob

Stick on ones are stupid. They'll just pop off.

The other kind is like a resin that coats and adheres onto the nail like a layer of glue. It doesn't just come off but it can be taken off just like glue can be taken off things when necessary. My mom does hers every 2 weeks because they tend to chip and grow out. I think every other appointment is touchup(?) You don't have to do anything to them but washing dishes or hitting your nails on things may cause the occasional chunk to chip off.

It will weaken your nails a lot, but some people with naturally weak nails choose to just do acrylics more or less permanently so they don't have broken nails constantly. Healthy nails will absolutely be damaged after removal and wont just recover. It has to be conditioned and grow out like damaged hair.

I believe the gels are easier to break but harder to remove fully. My mom (i know all this from her getting them all the time) has done both but has chosen to stick with acrylics. I'm pretty sure she chose that because of the breaking.
I've never had mine done before because I naturally have strong, clean looking nails and I wouldn't want to mess that up.
I've heard it makes them weak and about the sun turning them yellow:
Yes! Completely true. (girl in school would sun in a tanning bed and her tips were yellow.)
Hell to the no
Um I got these really cheap a** stiletto nails at Walmart. The glue is absolutely terrible. They pop off all the ******** time so I can't really wear them unless I need to reglue a nail every 10 minutes.

If you're doing them yourself, find out about a better glue. They can last for months depending on the glue. But with a professional, usually they get them to stick really well.

I've also heard of gel nails. Those seem really nice. I'll probably try them eventually.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff