Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Humorist

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-123-worst-musicians-of-all-time

Here's all the rap/rnb related ones:

BEASTIE BOYS

Obnoxious, ironic white boys taking the hot sound of black America, white-washing it, and half-assedly farting it back on over to the suburbs? Is that a description of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis? Nope! It’s the Beastie Boys. If the Beasties came out in 2014, we’d all ******** hate them.

BEYONCÉ™

Beyoncé™ sings like the member of the choir who no one likes trying to show off, but the only people Beyoncé™ is showing off to are her corporate sponsors. No matter how many GIFs you make of Beyoncé™, you will never manage to make one of her being sincere.

DR. DRE

A one-hot-album-every-22-years-and-counting average is apparently all it takes to be a rap genius these days.

EMINEM

Thank you, Eminem, for convincing a generation of white people that rap was nothing more than screeching homophobic, misogynistic slurs at the top of your lungs. The real Slim Shady should stand up at the top of a cliff and then fall off.

ERIC B & RAKIM

Undoubtedly the best rap act from an era that produced exactly zero records anyone still listens to.

MARVIN GAYE

How big of an a*****e do you have to be to have your dad shoot you?

JAY Z

Literally only got famous because Biggie died.

NAS

You know in Peanuts, how Charlie Brown’s always trying to kick the football and Lucy keeps moving it at the last second? That’s what it’s like to be a Nas fan, and he’s Lucy. This guy's so-called classic album crams way too many words into every verse in an attempt to prove he’s brilliant, rather than just showing us how brilliant he can be. Listening to it feels like running on a treadmill with your ears, but because it offered the sheer shock of actually forcing listeners to pay attention to music for once, Illmatic became mislabeled as a hip-hop classic whose legacy Nas would never be able to follow up on. Still, by offering just enough scraps of promise, Nas was able to convince his fans he somehow deserved the title of greatest rapper ever and trick them into listening to a series of underwhelming albums with terrible beats and overwrought concepts for perpetuity. Plus, the diss track that supposedly cemented his legacy peaks by calling Jay Z a gay slur in a shitty insult rap that doesn't even rhyme.

NOTORIOUS B.I.G./TUPAC

Aren’t these two just the same guy?

N.W.A.

You know a rap group is legendary and full of talent when half the members in it don't even write their own raps.

OUTKAST

No one likes Outkast because he turned rap into a fashion-oriented top 40 freakshow, abandoning the true lyricism that the genre was founded on in favor of following his own agenda about promoting Southern soul. This guy was indulgent enough to make a double album with two sides that didn’t even really fit together, and then he had the temerity to do a reunion tour where he just played festivals instead of catering to the real fans who have been with him since day one.

PUBLIC ENEMY

Maybe they'd be OK if they tried rapping about anything anyone actually cared about instead of politics, but then again, they'd still probably sound like your uncle lecturing you with a clock radio as a backing track.

OTIS REDDING

This guy’s “best” song was “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay,” and he didn’t even bother to finish it.

THE ROOTS

“Everyone’s favorite late night television sideshow” isn’t quite immortal cred. It’d be easy to criticize their other music, but no one has heard any of it.

RUN DMC

These guys have always sounded like dads, and, like dads, now people just assume they're cool because they're old when in fact they're lame and obsessed with Aerosmith.

A TRIBE CALLED QUEST

Every Tribe song sounds like the hardest quest involved was how to get from one end of a hopscotch game to the other. The only “it” they should have kicked was “the bucket.”

KANYE WEST

He’s okay, but he’s really a better producer than a rapper.

WU-TANG CLAN

Oh cool, a bunch of nerds rapping about kung-fu. Shaolin’s probably not even a real place.
lol'd at whole list

Invisible Humorist

Visions_of_La
lol'd at whole list

I can't believe they have to add the damn corporation sign to Beyonce's name

Tipsy Sex Symbol

referring to OutKast as "he", good job

Blu should be on this list, I was at his show last night and he was VIOLENTLY too high. Like, not in a good way.

Invisible Humorist

Doc Dee

Blu should be on this list, I was at his show last night and he was VIOLENTLY too high. Like, not in a good way.

I thought Blu fixed his drug problems

Perfect Member

Quote:
JOY DIVISION

Despite the fact that there are about two million Joy Division shirts out there, there are maybe two listenable Joy Division songs. That's a ratio of one million shirts per listenable song, which is a pretty terrible ratio. But hey, cool shirt, bro!

OK this was my favorite one

Vermillion Phantom

13,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Doc Dee

damn not Blu. I thought he cleaned up already
This was a hilarious read. I actually have a friend when I bring up Rakim tells me EVERY RAPPER LOVES RAKIM, BUT CAN YOU NAME 7 RAKIM SONGS? Lol he does this with alot of artists I bring up but only Rakim I can't actually name 7 songs...
blu is notorious for his performances. I remember reading an article about it and experiencing it in person a short while after. He messes up a lot. Its weird because he performs songs that are timeless; songs that everyone in the crowd has memorized. Its disappointing in a listeners perspective.
Hilarious commentary xd

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Sushi~X
This was a hilarious read. I actually have a friend when I bring up Rakim tells me EVERY RAPPER LOVES RAKIM, BUT CAN YOU NAME 7 RAKIM SONGS? Lol he does this with alot of artists I bring up but only Rakim I can't actually name 7 songs...
Yeah, 'cause "Rakim's a legend".

Dude's alright. A trailblazer for sure, but there have been other rappers that have done it better, and that's the way it should be. We should always be improving.

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I love this list. I knew I'd find Smashing Pumpkins on it. One of my favorite bands, and I am very much aware of the suck factor. I laughed when I saw a few other bands I really like on this list.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff