Welcome to Gaia! ::

Take A Stand: A Hardcore Thread

Wikipedia
Hardcore punk (usually referred to simply as hardcore) is a punk rock music genre and subculture that originated in the late 1970s. Hardcore music is generally faster, heavier, and more abrasive than regular punk rock. The origin of the term "hardcore punk" is uncertain. The Vancouver-based band D.O.A. may have helped to popularize the term with the title of their 1981 album, Hardcore '81. Hardcore historian Steven Blush said that the term "hardcore" is also a reference to the sense of being "fed up" with the existing punk and new wave music. Blush also states that the term refers to "an extreme: the absolute most Punk." One definition of the genre is "a form of exceptionally harsh punk rock."

Hardcore has spawned the straight edge movement and its associated submovements, hardline and youth crew. Hardcore was heavily involved with the rise of the independent record labels in the 1980s, and with the DIY ethics in underground music scenes. It has influenced a number of music genres which have experienced mainstream success, such as alternative rock, grunge, alternative metal, metalcore, thrash metal, post-hardcore, and hip-hop.

Hardcore sprouted underground scenes across the United States in the early 1980s particularly in Washington, D.C., California, New York, New Jersey, and Boston—as well as in Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.

While traditional hardcore has never experienced mainstream commercial success, some of its early pioneers have garnered appreciation over time. Black Flag's Damaged, Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime and Hüsker Dü's New Day Rising were included in Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003 and Dead Kennedys have seen one of their albums reach gold status over a period of 25 years. Although the music started in English-speaking western countries, scenes have also existed in Brazil, Japan, Europe and the Middle East.

List Of Hardcore Bands via Wikipedia

#

100 Demons
25 ta Life
50 Lions
7 Seconds
7 Angels 7 Plagues
88 Fingers Louie

A

AC4
The Accüsed
Agnostic Front
Against
Adolescents
AFI (early)
A Global Threat
American Nightmare
Angry Samoans
Angst
Anti-Cimex
Antidote
Anti-Flag
Armbar
Agent Orange
Avail
Awkward Thought

B

Bad Brains
Bad Religion (early)
Bane
Battalion of Saints
Bayonet
Beastie Boys (early)
Billy Talent
Biohazard
Bishop A.C.
Black Flag
Blacklisted
Blame Game
Blood for Blood
The Blood
Bloodlet
Bold
Born Against
Born from Pain
Broken Bones
The Bronx
Bury Your Dead
Burn
Butthole Surfers

C

Cancer Bats
Career Suicide
Carpathian
Casey Jones
The Casualties
Ceremony
Champion
Charged GBH
Chokehold
Circle Jerks
CIV
c**t 45
Cocobat
Code Orange Kids
Cólera
Comeback Kid
Counterparts
Converge
Cro-Mags
Crossingpoint
Crucifix
Cruel Hand
Culture

D

D.O.A.
D.R.I.
Dag Nasty
Damage
Dayglo Abortions
Dead Kennedys
Dead Swans
Death Before Dishonor
Death Piggy
Declino
Deep Wound
Deez Nuts
Defeater
Descendents
Discharge
D.R.I.
Down To Nothing
Dr. Know
Drabness
DYS

E

Earth Crisis
E.Town Concrete
Econochrist
Endpoint
Endwell
The Exploited

F

F-Minus
Faith
Fear
Finest Hour
First Blood
Flipper
Flock Of Seagulls
The Freeze
******** Up
The F.U.'s
Fugazi

G

Gallows
Gang Green
The Geeks
GISM
Give Up the Ghost
Gorilla Biscuits
GG Allin
Government Issue
Government Warning

H

Hate Force
Have Heart
Hogan's Heroes
Homy Hogs
Hoods
The Hope Conspiracy
Hüsker Dü

I

Icepick
Ignite
Ill Repute
Infest
In My Eyes
Inside Out
Incendiary
I.R.A.

J

Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine
Jerry's Kids
JFA
Judge
Jawbreaker

K

Kajagoogoo
Kid Dynamite
Kill Your Idols
Killing Time
Knuckledust

L

Lard
Leathermouth
Limp Wrist
Litmus Green
Los Crudos

M

Madball
MDC
Melvins (early)
Middle Class
Million Dead
Minor Threat
Minutemen
The Misfits
Mob 47
M.O.D.
Modern Life Is War
Morning Again
Mouthpiece
Murphy's Law

N

Napalm Death (early)
Necros
Negative Approach
Negative FX
Negazione
The Nerve Agents
New Regime
NOFX
No Innocent Victim
No Redeeming Social Value
No Trigger

O

Off!
The Offspring (early)
One King Down
One Life Crew
Operation Ivy
Outbreak
Outspoken

P

Painstream
Paint It Black
Pennywise
Phinius Gage
Point of No Return
Poison Idea
Project X
The Proletariat

Q

The Queers

R

Raised Fist
R.A.M.B.O.
Rancid
Ratos de Porão
Rattus
Reagan Youth
Really Red
Refused
The Replacements (early)
Revenge of the Psychotronic Man
Rich Kids on LSD
Ringworm
Rise Against (early)
Rites of Spring
Ruiner
The Ruts

S

S.O.A.
Scream
Septic Death
Sheer Terror
Shelter
Sick of It All
Side By Side
Skarhead
Slapshot
SNFU
Social Distortion
Sons of Abraham
SSD
Straight Faced
Stretch Arm Strong
Strike Anywhere
The Stupids
Suicidal Tendencies
The Suicide File
Subzero
Sworn Enemy

T

Tales of Terror
The Teen Idles
Ten Yard Fight
Terveet Kädet
This Is Hell
Title Fight
Toe To Toe
Touché Amoré
Toxic Reasons
Tragedy
Trash Talk
Trial
T.S.O.L.

U

Unbroken
Undertow
Uniform Choice
Up Front
Urban Waste

V

Vatican Commandos
Verbal Abuse
Verse
Vision of Disorder
Void

W

The Warriors
Warzone
Western Addiction
Wrangler Brutes

X

X-Cops

Y

Your Demise
Youth Brigade
Youth Defense League
Youth of Today

Z

Zegota
Zeke
Zero Boys

Discuss: Straightedge. Vegan. Bands. Your scene. What are you listening to?
What does it mean to you? How does it affect your life? UB/TIHC/Other fests.
Cheerwine. Post pictures of merch and shows. Be respectful.
i have a super neat 1st pressing of Charles Bronson's 2nd 7" on grey, YA001. $500 or a six pack of Kirin.
all silliness aside, The Repos might be the only hardcore band i still listen to with any regularity.
exluvr
Cheerwine.

Is this a hardcore thing? I know a guy who books shows in Nashville who is also all about some Cheerwine. Am I missing out on some sort of joke? I just thought I liked Cheerwine because of it's great taste and refreshing effervescence.
Slag10
exluvr
Cheerwine.

Is this a hardcore thing? I know a guy who books shows in Nashville who is also all about some Cheerwine. Am I missing out on some sort of joke? I just thought I liked Cheerwine because of it's great taste and refreshing effervescence.
It was most definitely a joke on my part but all of my friends who I have met through going to hardcore shows are really into Cheerwine and introduced me to it. That and Baja Blast Mountain Dew. I don't get it anymore than you do.
bung life
all silliness aside, The Repos might be the only hardcore band i still listen to with any regularity.
The Repos are really great. I love Youth Attack Records.
I would highly recommend taking a listen to Stoic Violence and Violent Reaction.
exluvr
bung life
The Repos are really great. I love Youth Attack Records.
I would highly recommend taking a listen to Stoic Violence and Violent Reaction.

i actually have Stoic Violence's demo cassette as well! One of them sent it to me when I ordered some stuff from his label, i like it a lot. Violent Reaction is super neat, but I don't own any of their records.

My Repos/Ropes collection, however, is ******** stellar and only keeps growing.
bung life

i actually have Stoic Violence's demo cassette as well! One of them sent it to me when I ordered some stuff from his label, i like it a lot. Violent Reaction is super neat, but I don't own any of their records.

Yeah, those dudes are super cool. They had some Creem and Altered Boys cassettes with them last time they played here for sale but I was so broke at the time. I got the Violent Reaction 7" when they played here with The Flex (UK). Also a sick band. Ever listen to Gag?
Chrissy Columbine
Lots of the bands on this list should be moved to a classic rock list, but that's just my opinion

I agree. I honestly don't have the attention span to sit here and make my own list
so I copy and pasted the list from Wiki and added a few videos for reference.
I may get around to edit it eventually. Maybe.
exluvr
bung life

Yeah, those dudes are super cool. They had some Creem and Altered Boys cassettes with them last time they played here for sale but I was so broke at the time. I got the Violent Reaction 7" when they played here with The Flex (UK). Also a sick band. Ever listen to Gag?

i've seen Gag a few times, i need that VHS they put out earlier this year!
exluvr
Slag10
exluvr
Cheerwine.

It was most definitely a joke on my part but all of my friends who I have met through going to hardcore shows are really into Cheerwine and introduced me to it. That and Baja Blast Mountain Dew. I don't get it anymore than you do.
I never realized that going to hardcore show is what predetermined my favorite soft drinks ._. who knew?
Slag10
exluvr
Slag10
exluvr
Cheerwine.

I never realized that going to hardcore show is what predetermined my favorite soft drinks ._. who knew?

Cheerwine is pretty nice but Baja Blast might be one of the most foul drinks on this Earth.

do you guys have Rocket Fizz near you? every soft drink enthusiast should visit Rocket Fizz.
I do, it seems. Will have to check it out next time I'm in Nashville.
bung life

Slag10

Yeah, Baja Blast is nasty. I went through a Pitch Black phase but it's nearly impossible to find any around Atlanta (actually I think anywhere outside of the internet for that matter). I think it was discontinued. I've never had Rocket Fizz but I'm all about some Cheerwine and Jones Cola.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff