Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Prophet

...because when talking about punk music with people, everybody seems to be operating under a completely different definition. I've heard the label used to describe artists from Avril Lavigne to Green Day to The Ramones to Screeching Weasel, all of which fall in very different locations on the music spectrum. It's gettin' damned confusing.

So is it just punk music with pop riffs? Or is it pop music with punk riffs? Is it about the instrumentation, the lyrics, the attitude, radio playability, or something else entirely? (Or is it just a secret code for bands you hate?) Break it down for me, people.
I would say more the "punk music with pop riffs" thing.
Where it gets confusing is that some people who didn't know anything about punk, used the pop punk term to describe pop bands where the members have an alternative look. Avril Lavigne is just a pop singer.

I think this is a good recent example of pop punk.
pop punk is probably the worst in terms of "bands being associated with a certain genre while not actually playing that kind of music", especially with the Man Overboard and Four Year Strong crowd.

just listen to Dillinger Four.
It's punk that sounds like The Ramones.

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Pop punk is an ironic term. It's a very horrible term and the bands are more terrible than the word. If Justin Bieber joined this, then the musicians and fans of punk will probably commit suicide or lynch Justin Bieber. Pop punk isn't real punk and a perfect example was The End Of The Century album by The Ramones and Green Day's work after Dookie.
The "pop" in pop-punk refers mostly to vocals, as I understand. In pop-punk, there is a greater attention to vocal melody than other forms of punk. Straight-up pop-rock acts, such as Green Day or Avril Lavigne are often confused for punk as a result of image. Although to Green Day's credit, their earlier work has a stronger punk influence than most pop-rock bands.

But yeah, The Ramones were a pretty major pioneer of pop-punk. They had that punk energy and simplicity, but their music was also meant to be catchy and accessible, which is the basic pop approach.
Diverse as flip.

People assume it's crap because of artists like Avril Lavigne; the one that lean more towards pop. The only punk essence she has is the instruments used. The way they're being played doesn't even sound like punk.

There are some bands that lean more towards punk than pop. They sound like punk, but catchier. Go listen to Sum 41 for that kind of sound.

Then we have the bands that are the perfect cross between them. All Time Low would be a great example of that. You can't say they're one side more than the other.
Then what would guys classify Icon For Hire as? They sound similar to Paramore, who I always figured were just rock, but people refer to them as pop punk. I have no idea. Genre classification is such a pain. :c

Alashuko The Fighter
Pop punk is an ironic term. It's a very horrible term and the bands are more terrible than the word. If Justin Bieber joined this, then the musicians and fans of punk will probably commit suicide or lynch Justin Bieber. Pop punk isn't real punk and a perfect example was The End Of The Century album by The Ramones and Green Day's work after Dookie.

No it's not an ironic term and The Ramones were always a pop-punk band and so were Green Day, if anything they weren't AFTER those albums.

actual pop punk:

What you think is pop punk even though you've been told a bunch of times already:

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The best thing about The Ramones was how they were just a '50s girl band sped up.
Seppington
Then what would guys classify Icon For Hire as? They sound similar to Paramore, who I always figured were just rock, but people refer to them as pop punk. I have no idea. Genre classification is such a pain. :c

post-evanescense-core: woman with no self awareness who's just attractive enough that her dorkass bandmates won't call her on her s**t because then she might not look at their dicks when they jerk off in front of her

alternatively: a band assembled with a v****a in front for the sole purpose of cashing in on the success of acts like Paramore while operating under the veil of "girlz can rock 2"
rawheavygreen
Seppington

post-evanescense-core: woman with no self awareness who's just attractive enough that her dorkass bandmates won't call her on her s**t because then she might not look at their dicks when they jerk off in front of her

alternatively: a band assembled with a v****a in front for the sole purpose of cashing in on the success of acts like Paramore while operating under the veil of "girlz can rock 2"
hush little darling don't say a word, daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird
Seppington
rawheavygreen
Seppington

hush little darling don't say a word, daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird

if you can't handle an honest answer then you shouldn't ask questions

Smoker

why isn't this thread about alkaline trio

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items