Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I originally made this thread to figure out books that I should probably look up to learn more about the history of punk and I more and more realized.... I am sick of arguing about what punk is and isn't on this forum so I figured I would let literature do that for me. I mean that's what it's for right? A means of conveying information? Maybe it's due to the fact that ignorance doesn't just seem willful among younger rebellious generations, but adamantly forced. I mean maybe it's silly to even be arguing about this and pulling the seniority card when it comes to knowing about s**t and a movement that no one here lived through can and should be taken with a grain of salt since I wasn't born until 87 but my mother grew up in LA when all those early punk bands were around.

I mean... I guess I wouldn't care as much if people didn't have a cow over this.

Since I got my mom the book "Violence Girl", that Alice Bag autobiography, it made me wonder if there were any other good books about the subject. I mean we argue so much about what is and isn't punk on here that I assume there might be some histories on the subject that paints a somewhat accurate picture of the era.

Most of the books I do find on the subject are actually pretty limited, either just being a coffee table book with pictures and quotes from popular figures in the punk scene or it focuses entirely on the Ramones or the sex pistols. Probably the better ones I do find focus on a single band like this one does. So after all that, any good books you guys would recommend?

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image

A compilation of vintage fanzines, it has the IMPORTANT COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK vibe while still being fascinating to read.

Lonely Hoarder

sadly i mainly only know fictional books about punks

Non-Fiction:
Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God
Drugs are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir

Fiction:
Hairstyles of the Damned
Fat Kid Rules the World
A Masque of Infamy
How the Mistakes Were Made: A Novel
Let It Bleed

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Metronome
User Image

A compilation of vintage fanzines, it has the IMPORTANT COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK vibe while still being fascinating to read.
I sort of wish that they did something like that with slash magazine.
it is kind of pretentious and i haven't read it all but this is nice sort of documentary type of book on the post punk goth rock scene
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Buy Our Band Could be Your Life and then IMMEDIATELY skip to the Butthole Surfers section.

You're welcome.
Metronome
Buy Our Band Could be Your Life and then IMMEDIATELY skip to the Butthole Surfers section.

You're welcome.
then do sonic youth, fugazi, and minor threat and then i dont care what you do with the rest
aerosols

this book is faaaaaantastic

also i liked Lexicon Devil
ps it's not really punk literature but steer clear of Milk It because that s**t is booooooooooooooooring

Conservative Fatcat

Wheezing Lunatic

My friend found this at a garage sale.

I'm going to go find a copy of Our Band Could Be Your Life.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Getting some good stuff here. Most of what I know about punk comes second hand so I figured some reading might be a good idea.

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image

Got $200 to spare? Wanna document every UK Punk disc ever released from '76 to '79, written by a crazy ******** who records his own music, presses it and then burns most of it in bonfires?

I don't have this book. I ******** need this book.

Wheezing Lunatic

Metronome
User Image

Got $200 to spare? Wanna document every UK Punk disc ever released from '76 to '79, written by a crazy ******** who records his own music, presses it and then burns most of it in bonfires?

I don't have this book. I ******** need this book.

$200??? I really want that book, but I don't have $200 just lying around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff