Welcome to Gaia! ::

☨POST-PUNK OVERVIEW, ETC☨

post-punk: what happened to punk after it realized it was tired of shouting about politics that it couldn't really properly articulate thoughts about anyways, and decided to cut to the core of punk: RAW ******** EMOTION.

let's educate you about the sound first before we get to history, important acts, and game changing albums.
post-punk's driving musical sound is its heavy focus on the use of bass guitar (you'll have a hard time finding a post-punk band that doesn't focus its sound on the bass guitar) and almost primal drumming. minimal use of synthesizer is allowed, but be careful or you might end up sounding like Genesis.
if you start from the beginning (say, with stuff like Siouxsie Sioux & The Banshees' The Scream, Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, or The Cure's Three Imaginary Boys) it's terribly easy to see where the punk influence comes in. at the same time, the genre had heavy influences from the new wave moment as it did from punk. this is more noticeable with bands like Echo & The Bunnymen, Tuxedomoon, or The Boys Next Door.

as far as music and lyrical themes go, you're going to hear themes of gloom, doom, and plenty of introspection. themes of suicide and nihilism are prevalent. at the same time you could totally go with less destructive themes and instead focus on simple melancholy (The Cure have made a career of being melancholic).

post-punk is to punk as emo is to hardcore: slowed down music, more experimentation with sound (debatable) and a turning away from political themes in favor of emotional complexity.
☨ ARTIST LIST ☨
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bands:
Red Lory Yellow Lory
The Pop Group
Virgin Prunes
Joy Division
James Chance and The Contortions
The Cure
AUTO-MOD
Siouxsie and The Banshees
UK Decay
Pere Abu
The Birthday Party
This Heat
New Order
G-Schmitt
The Boys Next Door
And Also The Trees
The Danse Society
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Crime & the City Solution
[early] Death In June
The Fall
Fad Gadget
Malaria!
Swans
Wire
Gang of Four
Suicide
Sadie Sads

POST PUNK ALBUM LIST

[[this is just important albums, tbh, that influenced their own scene or otherwise. not a personal favorite list.]]
open etc c** n and hang urselfz
POST PUNK THREAD IS BEST THREAD.
aww yeah Suicide

ohhh did i win's Partner

Dangerous Lunatic

fux yeah, dis be what I'm talking bout
so you guys are more about the american post-punk scene then?
Shadowolf
fux yeah, dis be what I'm talking bout

right?

too bad most of the post-punk i listen to is super unimportant (like ******** ピヴィレヌ, or Still, both of which were totally lost to time)
I got like 2 songs from Still, I dunno who ピヴィレヌ is... maybe I do if you gave that to me in romaji, lolll.

But yeah, I do love me some lesser known Japanese stuff!

I care about any post-punk, (well, OK, I don't collect enough of the noise rock aspect of it, admittedly).
I got a huge collection, and I absolutely obsess over obscurities... but it's never big enough because I've been futilely trying to collect every single post-punk-related stuff out there that I can (for a Shoutcast radio I've been trying to do for years, but I got a lot of troubleshooting to figure out still... I wanna make it the most comprehensive post-punk/goth/shoegaze radio shiznit). Alas I've been too busy lately -_-; and there's much too many blogs to keep up with, but I'm still tryin' at it emo

Smoker

I'll admit that my knowledge of the genre doesn't get much further than The Cure and Joy Division (plus all the random black metal / post-punk bands that I don't really hear post-punk in). But Aves is probably my single favorite artist for the last few months now. Which is part of that BM/post-punk thing, but this time I don't really hear the BM in it.

I even have a tough time choosing which songs to post, that's rare. Also, I'm pretty sure I've posted songs from him/them before.

EDIT: After revisiting his bandcamp page, apparently he finally uploaded the Demo onto it, with some tracks I haven't seen/heard before. I'm actually like legitimately happy.
Shadowolf
I got like 2 songs from Still, I dunno who ピヴィレヌ is... maybe I do if you gave that to me in romaji, lolll.

I care about any post-punk, (well, OK, I don't collect enough of the noise rock aspect of it, admittedly).
I got a huge collection, and I absolutely obsess over obscurities... but it's never big enough because I've been futilely trying to collect every single post-punk-related stuff out there that I can (for a Shoutcast radio I've been trying to do for years, but I got a lot of troubleshooting to figure out still... I wanna make it the most comprehensive post-punk/goth/shoegaze radio shiznit). Alas I've been too busy lately -_-; and there's much too many blogs to keep up with, but I'm still tryin' at it emo

well i'm basically responsible for introducing still to the internet after a friend gave me their stuff. i uploaded both of their EPs onto my old (and now defunct) blog (asoftlysleepingrose.blogspot.com). there are plenty of other rarities there, too.
Contagioned
I'll admit that my knowledge of the genre doesn't get much further than The Cure and Joy Division (plus all the random black metal / post-punk bands that I don't really hear post-punk in). But Aves is probably my single favorite artist for the last few months now. Which is part of that BM/post-punk thing, but this time I don't really hear the BM in it.

I even have a tough time choosing which songs to post, that's rare. Also, I'm pretty sure I've posted songs from him/them before.

EDIT: After revisiting his bandcamp page, apparently he finally uploaded the Demo onto it, with some tracks I haven't seen/heard before. I'm actually like legitimately happy.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm a really big fan of Aves myself, really strong and surprisingly catchy instrumental post-punk all around. Both of those are my two most fav tracks. "Feathers I" particularly has been repeating in my media player a lot lately. =3

Btw, this track kinda reminds me of the stuff Aves does (they're an influence on him), though this band doesn't normally do instrumental tracks, I think you'd like it.
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
Shadowolf

well i'm basically responsible for introducing still to the internet after a friend gave me their stuff. i uploaded both of their EPs onto my old (and now defunct) blog (asoftlysleepingrose.blogspot.com). there are plenty of other rarities there, too.

Right, I remember your blog, I lost the link when I got a new computer, thanks for that! =3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff