Welcome to Gaia! ::

Screamo V2.0
--
User Image

Failures

History:
This pretty much hits the nail on the head, Answers.com

"Screamo" is a music style that developed out of Emo, more specifically hardcore Emo, in the early 1990s. Characteristic of the genre are the screaming vocals (not growling). Other than that, it's fairly hard to classify (particularly since the rule about screaming vocals is bent fairly often). Sometimes also misreferred to as Emo Violence which is a closely related but not identical genre, though each genre borrow ideas from one another. Much like its predecessor, it's very much an underground genre with virtually no mainstream recognition. The majority of screamo bands are from the Northeastern or East coast of the United States (side-by-side with Hardcore coming out of the same area), but there are some bands coming out of Canada, France Germany, Australia, and Japan.

Again, much like screamo's predecessor, emo, bands often release 7" records on independent labels, much in the spirit of D.I.Y.. Some of the larger labels releasing a large number of screamo records include Level Plane, Ebullition, Slave Union, Alone, and Electric Human Project.

Many screamo bands are short lived (which was also common with emo bands during its prime in the 90s), and oftentimes recorded material goes out of print. Examples of this are Mohinder, who made only 2 7"s their career (they also had a split 7" with Nitwits, and a few compilation tracks - later almost all of their vinyl recordings were documented on an LP released by GSL (http://www.goldstandardlabs.com)), and Hassan I Sabbah, who had a similar output. This makes it difficult for the genre of screamo as a whole to expand.

In recent years, the internet has helped spread word of screamo through websites and through online distros (distributions). Many fans of the genre have turned to EBay to expand their collections of rare and out-of-print records. This leads to very high prices on records that often cost a meager $10 or less when they were first released. Some members of bands who have broken up have expressed displeasure in these high prices and urge fans not to buy them, or buy a posthumously released discography instead.

However, in recent years, the term "screamo" has been misused very commonly to describe postpunk, pop-rock, rock, metalcore, or hardcore bands with emo influences. Bands like Taking Back Sunday, Glassjaw, Thursday, Underoath, Refused, Bleeding Through, Every Time I Die, Unearth, Atreyu, Senses Fail, Finch, Hawthorne Heights, Emery, Saosin, Silverstein have been wrongly called screamo in the press.

Screamo is still thriving.

If you need help with something emo/screamo related, whether it be questions or what-not, just ask I or one of the regulars of this thread, we'll help if you're willing to learn.

User Image

I was digging "I Got Worried" until 00:34
after the drum part thing?

"I Got Worried..." is my favorite song atm emo "
Really cool. 3nodding
Byron the Bulb v2
I fell in love with their s/t EP, and Blazing Fires... just blew me the ******** away.
I dun have their s/t yet...
Kill Yr Idols
Byron the Bulb v2
I fell in love with their s/t EP, and Blazing Fires... just blew me the ******** away.
I dun have their s/t yet...

WELL GIVE ME TWENTY MINUTES, THEN.
I HAVE WHAT.CD IM JUST LAZY

BRB

NVM THEY DONN"T HAVE IT

ILL LUV U FOREVR <3
Kill Yr Idols
after the drum part thing?

"I Got Worried..." is my favorite song atm emo "

The song starts with "******** yeah, Jesus Lizard bass gonna ******** pound" and then cuts to some typical spooky military roll beat then some singer who sounds like the dude from Secret Machines and then even more typically GYBE aimlessness and a prententious foreign language voiceover.

Let down.
Truth be told, I really wasn't expecting you to like any of it.
this is awesome
The mods just moved my other screamo thread mad
Kill Yr Idols
The mods just moved my other screamo thread mad

I've enjoyed everything so far on their myspace. Downloading the album right now.
cool
it's awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas