Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Sex Symbol

7,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
Since my adolescence I've loved the idea of being punk. The ripped up plaid jeans kept together with safety pins. Leather jackets covered in studs, pins and patches. Mohawks and Doc Martens! I love all of it. But I've suffered from one hindrance, I don't like the pivotal aspect of being punk, and that's the music. I just don't enjoy it. The closet I've come is old school Green Day, blink-182 and Sum 41. But it's arguable that those aren't even punk, or never were punk.
I appreciate and respect the idea of the real punk bands like the Misfits, Sex Pistols and The Ramones, but those are all the main stream bands.I'm uneducated in the ways of being punk and it pains me so much! I've just never enjoyed their music. I prefer something I can sing and dance along to. I like upbeat fun music.

But punk is a way of life! It's become so elitist now a days what is 'real' and 'not real' punk. Most days I have platinum blonde hair and I like to wear dresses. But I'm also known to change my hair color every few months to something under the rainbow, I'm partial to blue and purple. That's when I pull out my plaid red jeans and my band tees, throw on my old doc martens and use my special eyeliner that smudges more. And if I could get piercings with out allergic reactions, you know damn well I'd have an eyebrow ring and have my dimples pierced.

But does that not make me a real punk? I've never labeled myself as such because I don't want to disrespect the style. It's something I hold in such high regard I don't want to slander the name. I'm too girly to be punk, but I'm to 'punk' to be considered girly.

So what's your opinion? Is real and fake punk a societal idea we need to destroy? Is there such thing as 'real punk'? Or can anyone with the right attitude and a pair of combat boots be considered punk?
There has always been elitism in the punk world and it has often stemmed from the debate over whether punk is just a style of music and an associated fashion, or a subculture/social movement. There are certainly arguments for both. I tend to feel that the music and fashion has tended to grow out from a movement to challenge and change the status quot. I don't think there's a right answer to that question. There are many people in the scene who talk about change and radical politics and DIY and building community, but who apply none of those ideas in their real life. At the same time there are people who live out those things daily and have nothing to do with the punk scene at large. Punk is what you make of it. There are so many scenes within that you can really choose what your involvement is. With that will also come derision from others. It will never go away, but you can find your own way to deal with it.

Addressing your concern over the music, it sounds like you just have had some trouble branching out into stuff you like. Certainly there is a lot of upbeat punk rock. You mention a lot of pop punk bands so here are some others to check out

Alkaline Trio

Fifteen

Jawbreaker

Pinhead Gun Powder (Bay Area super groupe featuring Bille Joe Armstrong and later Jason White of Green Day)
This is with original guitarist and lead vocalist Sarah Kirsch(who was still known as Mike at the time)

This is a later song after Kirsch had quit over personal differences with Armstrong.

J Church

The Queers

Screeching Weasel:

Dillinger 4 (Green Day ripped off some of D4's riffs on American Idiot)

There are also some really good lables that specialize in this sort of music you might try:
Insubordination Records
Stardumb Records
Whoa-oh Records
Fat Wreck Chords
Silver Sprocket Bike Club

Lookout! Records was also a good source for pop punk, but it closed up a few years ago.
Just act like you're a powerviolence/crusty kid and have a secret love for old school screamo. Dread your hair with cat s**t, and then promptly get out of the phase until you're just some annoying hippie b***h that talks about bullshit feminism. Then also talk s**t on the scene and how you've moved on to terrible indie acts and folk punk, but you still have a Saetia and Charles Bronson patch on your backpack for some reason. But don't do that because I'll slap you upside the face with a slab of ham.
Doom Mantra
Just act like you're a powerviolence/crusty kid and have a secret love for old school screamo. Dread your hair with cat s**t.

It doesn't require that much effort.

Or any.

Just stop cutting your hair. And brushing it. And washing it. Also put on some tight black denim and surplus boots. Like the look? Good, because you are never taking it off again. Sew up as needed with whatever is around, which will usually be patches from bands you've never heard. Need to wash out a stain? No you don't, you're a crustie!
Stop worrying about it.
That will get you the most punk points.
Unless you care about punk points, and then it will bring your balance to 0. That's better than your punk account being in red I guess.
Visions_of_La

That will get you the most punk points.
Unless you care about punk points.

The crux of the punk points dilemma.
Doom Mantra
Just act like you're a powerviolence/crusty kid and have a secret love for old school screamo. Dread your hair with cat s**t, and then promptly get out of the phase until you're just some annoying hippie b***h that talks about bullshit feminism. Then also talk s**t on the scene and how you've moved on to terrible indie acts and folk punk, but you still have a Saetia and Charles Bronson patch on your backpack for some reason. But don't do that because I'll slap you upside the face with a slab of ham.

so it'll be like... a... SLAP-A-HAM?????

WHACKITY SHMACKITY DOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
It's best to just not worry about it. I mean sure you might get s**t for it.... it might help if you find at least one band that you like. what else do you listen to?

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100

any of these do it for you?

The Final Boss's Husbando

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250
The only person that can define punk and live it the way it should be is you. But don't listen to my authoritarian a**. Because that's not punk! Haha!

Just be you. ******** the rest. Real people are better than fakes in a uniform any day.
Doom Mantra

why are you being such a c**t
op u are 2 cute
destroy the idea that you need to be approved by others to be punk. the whole idea of punk was individualism, but nowadays if you don't have the spikes and the mohawks and the docs you aren't one???? people need to make up their minds
you just rock the fashion, baby, who gives a ********

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces