Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Yah all those no wave bands.... I mean, I guess I could make a more involved thread but I think I'll just go with this one for now. Anyway no wave is s**t like this

A brief history of no wave. There are probably better ones out there but here you go.

Wikipedia

Films on the subject
"Kill your idols"
"Video Hysterie: 1978-2006"

Books
"No Wave"

You know, blends some elements of jazz,punk, maybe with a little bit o punk thrown in. Anyway, any bands you like? Anything you have to say about this short lived genre? Any bands you can share?
Swans is one of my fav bands of all time

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Shadowolf

What's a good album?
Valtiel the Watcher
Shadowolf

What's a good album?

I made a long reply/suggestion here you can read, depending on your taste.

But for no wave, it was only their early stuff that was really-really no wave (Filth, The Young God, etc).
Children of God/World of Skin is my personal favorite album though, it's a quieter (save a few songs, like "Beautiful Child" ), but very discordantly depressing post-punk/goth album, but I think still borrows from their no wave stuff with their repetitive song structures.

Liberal Streaker

3,950 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Yeah, Swans are pretty awesome. Sonic Youth also released some really cool stuff.

(they're no wavier on their album, trust me, lots of jazz sections and s**t)

kearni filth

i feel like it's almost a stretch to call tbp no wave........................ but they did have jazzy elements going on, i guess

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Because there's not enough discussion about punk here I am going to bump this up to the top. That and I would like to know what is a good album for teenage jesus and the jerks?
Valtiel the Watcher
Because there's not enough discussion about punk here I am going to bump this up to the top. That and I would like to know what is a good album for teenage jesus and the jerks?

Just get ahold of Everything ... it has well, everything, which is an album worth of material. I think Teenage Jesus only ever a few singles and EPs... no full length album.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Shadowolf
Valtiel the Watcher

Just get ahold of Everything ... it has well, everything, which is an album worth of material. I think Teenage Jesus only ever a few singles and EPs... no full length album.
that certainly does make things simple

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
What about lizzy mercier descloux? The handful of her stuff that I have heard was great especially torso corso.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I have to admit I don't have the faintest idea what No Wave is, but some of the stuff I listen to has been described specifically as No Wave.

Also, this clip is amazing.

4,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
not a regular listener but I like Swans very much

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers