Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"West Coast Powerviolence - Lets ******** go!"

And with that one line, Man Is The b*****d had coined and introduced us to the term 'Powerviolence' in an effort to name and describe the nascent scene which they had birth alongside other bands (as listed on their song 'H.S.M.P') with their unique take on hardcore.

Musically, Powerviolence evolved in very close relation to that of grindcore scene at the time, but where as grindcore fuses crust punk/hardcore and death metal, powerviolence was an attempt to fuse noise/noise rock, sludge and hardcore punk to create a very heavy, dissonant brand of hardcore.

The key components of the powerviolence sound is its odd tempo and time signatures, stop-start blasts of noise and occasional slow passages mixed in with traditional hardcore riffing altogether coupled with a very raw, noisy production quality. Powerviolence is also know for it's musical speed and brevity with bands producing multiple rather short songs in quick succession - but the best powerviolence bands know that going slow is just as an effective; still these moments are few and far between the furious blasting of 30-40 second long songs.

Powerviolence is inherently rooted in leftist politics, and as such you'll find these kinds of messages littered through out most bands releases - increasingly socio-political; but with bands like Charles Bronson and Spazz, you may also find the lyrics go off on either mocking parodies of issues pertinent to the band or seemingly bizarre self-referential humor.
IMPORTANT ARTIST LIST:
(if you aren't well versed in powerviolence/new to the genre these are the go-to bands; check this s**t out immediately.)
Neanderthal
Man Is The b*****d
Infest
Crossed Out
No Comment
Capitalist Casualties
Lack Of Interest
Hellnation
Apartment 213
Spazz
Dropdead
Despise You
Agents of Satan
No Less
******** On The Beach
Charles Bronson
Gasp

(will update with youtube link soon.)
god bless this thread
I call this thread open and s**t; lets post some ******** powerviolence!

Putrid Corpse Of Christ
god bless this thread

May this thread please thee, O'glorious Eric Wood.
We are all the bastards.

ohhh did i win's Partner

Dangerous Lunatic

I need to give more powerviolence a listen, as it stands I really only listen to Teen Cthulhu and on occasion I'll throw an ACxDC track on.
what inspires this:
tho tbh i've never listened to Harm's Way, it's just i always see them rec'd on other powerviolence band's last.fms. and this dude is just always so ripped.
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:
tho tbh i've never listened to Harm's Way, it's just i always see them rec'd on other powerviolence band's last.fms. and this dude is just always so ripped.

earlier stuff like Imprisoned is some slick PV, but they are like some ******** holy terror/clevo hardcore band - and not a particularly interesting one at that.

that dude definitely lifts; he is ripped as ********.
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:

earlier stuff like Imprisoned is some slick PV, but they are like some ******** holy terror/clevo hardcore band - and not a particularly interesting one at that.

that dude definitely lifts; he is ripped as ********]
not just lifts; he probably does steroids

anyways, here's some hilarious greyscale footage of them and their fans doing power slamzzzz:

gonna go redownload charles bronsons' s**t. i lost p much all my music about three months ago.
Only as the Day Is Long
I need to give more powerviolence a listen, as it stands I really only listen to Teen Cthulhu and on occasion I'll throw an ACxDC track on.

The only thing I could think of in similarity to Teen Cthulhu (seeing as I know you love them) is a local Australian band by the name of Night Hag.

Most of the bands of the important artists lists is a good start for PV - but since you toss ACxDC in there, the modern PV stuff might be more in your vein; bands like Hatred Surge, Iron Lung, The Endless Blockade, Weekend Nachos and Extortion. Good places to start with modern PV.
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:

anyways, here's some hilarious greyscale footage of them and their fans doing power slamzzzz:

gonna go redownload charles bronsons' s**t. i lost p much all my music about three months ago.

Maybe the steroid shrinkage of his balls is what caused the band to do a 180 and start playing heavy dude-brobeatdowncore to compensate.

I bought the Charles Bronson discog on CD about seven months ago. Was cool as ********.

ohhh did i win's Partner

Dangerous Lunatic

DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Only as the Day Is Long

The only thing I could think of in similarity to Teen Cthulhu (seeing as I know you love them) is a local Australian band by the name of Night Hag.

Most of the bands of the important artists lists is a good start for PV - but since you toss ACxDC in there, the modern PV stuff might be more in your vein; bands like Hatred Surge, Iron Lung, The Endless Blockade, Weekend Nachos and Extortion. Good places to start with modern PV.

That Night Hag was ******** cool. Will be looking into them further.

I'll also give those others a listen as well as some from the original post.
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:

Maybe the steroid shrinkage of his balls is what caused the band to do a 180 and start playing heavy dude-brobeatdowncore to compensate.

I bought the Charles Bronson discog on CD about seven months ago. Was cool as ********]
you mean Complete Discocrappy? so ******** good, right?
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:

I bought the Charles Bronson discog on CD about seven months ago. Was cool as ********]

yeah, Complete Discocrappy.
One of the best CD's in my collection. I rarely by CD's in favour of tapes and vinyls, but this CD is so ******** worth having. All the content from the booklet is just dripping with gold.
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
DEATH TO FALSE GRIND
Putrid Corpse Of Christ
what inspires this:

yeah, Complete Discocrappy.
One of the best CD's in my collection. I rarely by CD's in favour of tapes and vinyls, but this CD is so ******** worth having. All the content from the booklet is just dripping with gold.

was it never put out on vinyl/tape?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces