• Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
FearlessDictator
Brink Kale
FearlessDictator
Knight Yoshi
FearlessDictator
http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/scor/5099162/
How can I fix that bar on the left side of #main?

Change the Classic template "type" above the "theme override" box in the profile prefs. account setting page. Set it to "Custom"

I was in such a rush to get to the doctors yesterday, I did not even consider that. Thank you for not mocking me. D:
Doctors? Derail incoming and I sincerely apologize for this.
What happened? Are you okay?

I opened a can of potatoes the wrong way.
=[
5 stitches, and I cried like a baby and cussed in spanish the whole time.
Awww that sucks T~T At least you got it taken care of. Just one thing though . . . a can of Potatoes. I swear to god that sounds like the weirdest thing ever. xD

Okay okay I promise derail over OP.

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Brink Kale

FearlessDictator

Please do not hold non-profile related conversations in the thread.

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale

FearlessDictator

Swoops; apologies OP, I swear to god I was talking about Doctor related profiles and she mentioned Stitches that was code-word for she was gonna start it right away. xD I kid, I'll avoid said conversations.

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale

FearlessDictator

Swoops; apologies OP, I swear to god I was talking about Doctor related profiles and she mentioned Stitches that was code-word for she was gonna start it right away. xD I kid, I'll avoid said conversations.

Thank you. And nice job helping out in the forum. Though as I said in the one thread concerning the cursor, don't use an image format that's not a .cur or .ani. Only two of the five major browsers support it, and lesser browsers probably don't support it either.

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale

FearlessDictator

Thank you. And nice job helping out in the forum. Though as I said in the one thread concerning the cursor, don't use an image format that's not a .cur or .ani. Only two of the five major browsers support it, and lesser browsers probably don't support it either.
But Opera doesn't support the Cursor property at all so thats really no contest there. Which is the fifth major browser? O-o Opera, IE, Moz and Webkit. <- Only 4.

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale

FearlessDictator

But Opera doesn't support the Cursor property at all so thats really no contest there. Which is the fifth major browser? O-o Opera, IE, Moz and Webkit. <- Only 4.

IE, FF, CR, SF, O.
Although Safari and Chrome both run the 'webkit' engine, they can still preform differently.

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi

IE, FF, CR, SF, O.
Although Safari and Chrome both run the 'webkit' engine, they can still preform differently.
Que? You need to explain this to me in detail. Pretend I'm five and I just asked you why the sky is blue.

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi

IE, FF, CR, SF, O.
Que? You need to explain this to me in detail. Pretend I'm five and I just asked you why the sky is blue.

Just because the two browsers use the same browser engine doesn't mean they act the same. So for instance, just because the Chrome UA can use other image formats doesn't mean Safari can.

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi
Brink Kale
Knight Yoshi

IE, FF, CR, SF, O.

Just because the two browsers use the same browser engine doesn't mean they act the same. So for instance, just because the Chrome UA can use other image formats doesn't mean Safari can.
Yet somehow I think you miss the point being made on this particular instance. Webkit is the rendering engine both of them use. Chrome and Safari. Sure, Chrome uses V8 for Javascript and what have you nots and I'll be honest I could care less about Safari (or chrome for that matter) but being that they both use the same markup rendering, wouldn't both their C.S.S pretty much be the same. As a matter of fact, I linked to a reference detailing which file types the browsers can accept; https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_URL_values_for_the_cursor_property#Compatibility_with_other_browsers
Which may I add, I've been using that long before C.S.S 3 was even mentioned and its been doing me fine. As far as I can see, the only two browsers that don't accept the file types you mentioned were Opera (Miimic's browser of choice and a sucky one at it) which doesn't support cursor changing (thats not why I don't like Opera mind you, I tried using it and just thought it SUCKKKKKEEEEDDDDDDD OMG HAVE YOU TRIED TO GET ANYTHING WORKING RIGHT ON IT?) and Internet Explorer which as you know has been the dark age of the web browser since forever. Mind you the irony is the I.E is the browser that practically introduced 3/4 of all the functionality of C.S.S 3 (and if you dug deep enough in MSDN you'd find an I.E version for all the cool C.S.S 3 functions that would work all the way back to I.E 6). In any case, I have to say, I don't think its enough reason just to not use a specific file type. I mean sure you can be all hellbent on getting your code to Validate all you want. Facts are that sometimes you have to do things a certain way to get proper results. If you were to provide a nice valid argument as to why I should use only .ani and .cur files I would be more than happy to accept it. Arguments along the lines of, All browsers now support it would be fine but I'll be honest, just because Apple and Mozilla decide to say, ah ******** we may as well implement it so MS users would be happy go lucky, I'll still stick to my not using .ani and .cur files because they are too much trouble for me to care for. Sure when you make your websites for the real world (and may I add, pretty much everyone here except me has done this) it matters to get things working on all browsers. I'll put it to you like this. There is a lot you can do on a website, that you can't do on Gaia. I know the rules of C.S.S, I've learned it as I went along for quite some time and I don't mind learning something new definitely but, my style is my style if I make a mistake correct me. Back your claims up though, I'm not one for cross browser compatibility and if I write code that isn't x-browser you can shoot me because I know all the tricks, I suppose I just don't need to use them unless I have to and much I prefer it that way.

That is starting to sound like a rant up there I swear. Probably just in a foul mood and won't care tomorrow.

tldr;
I'm against your statement of only using "cur" and "ani" files for compatibility sake. Its sort of like telling someone to use Windows because most files online can be run on it. The 2% still exist and the 2% happen to like their way of things. o-o If that makes sense. Seriously EWWWWWWW @ even suggesting .cur and .ani files. =

Honestly, I have no clue what I typed up there. o-o Come at me with a better response about the browsers plox.

Oh and I'm not good at explaining the very few things that I do know so excuse my lack of coherency? ; ; ; Man I suck at making compelling arguments. crying

Edittt: I was looking for this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

When Safari starts using a different rendering engine, it'll be able to be classified under something other than webkit but, from my experience everything in C.S.S (as well as HTML if I am not mistaken) that works in Safari also works in Chrome. From time to time Chrome may update before Safari and thus gain more 'features' but it should be counted as just a previous version of the same browser. (Or was it Safari that updates first?) As a matter of fact isn't Chrome the child when compared to Safari, I remember vaguely that webkit was in use on Safari first no?

So many additions right? Anyway, not saying they are the same browser just re-read and found it kinda sounded like that. I'm actually saying that the C.S.S in particular would be doing the same things as the rendering engine is the very same. If that makes sense?

Also last time I edit I promise; Your nickname is OP. For obvious comical but yet I love you type reasons. I love you OP <3 Now get to work deciphering my rant and a response.

Sparkly Lunatic

To back up Brink Kale's giant wall of a post: There are only 4 render engines (gecko, presto, trident and webkit) and any browser running on one will work exactly the same as any other browser on that engine (so Firefox and Camino or Chrome and Safari, or Opera and...actually that's the only browser on presto, or IE and Maxthon) in all ways.

As for cursors, any decent browser (because ******** IE prior to 9) supports any image format. The only browser to support .ani is IE, so there is literally no point using (also, cursor changing is the kind of thing graceful degradation is great for. It really doesn't matter if it doesn't work. You lose nothing.

Thirdly, User Agent is completely meaningless as to how a browser performs. In fact, the UA I use doesn't even correspond to the browser I use because it's completely and trivially user changeable but sites will insist on basing it's compatibility check on it.

As for the thread in general: You're using the W3Schools format, NOT the W3C format (they are in no-way related, and the former should never be suggested at all). The MDN layout is both easier to read and more informative.

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
trezoid
To back up Brink Kale's giant wall of a post: There are only 4 render engines (gecko, presto, trident and webkit) and any browser running on one will work exactly the same as any other browser on that engine (so Firefox and Camino or Chrome and Safari, or Opera and...actually that's the only browser on presto, or IE and Maxthon) in all ways.

As for cursors, any decent browser (because ******** IE prior to 9) supports any image format. The only browser to support .ani is IE, so there is literally no point using (also, cursor changing is the kind of thing graceful degradation is great for. It really doesn't matter if it doesn't work. You lose nothing.

Thirdly, User Agent is completely meaningless as to how a browser performs. In fact, the UA I use doesn't even correspond to the browser I use because it's completely and trivially user changeable but sites will insist on basing it's compatibility check on it.

As for the thread in general: You're using the W3Schools format, NOT the W3C format (they are in no-way related, and the former should never be suggested at all). The MDN layout is both easier to read and more informative.

I am using W3C format, because I copied and pasted, but only the relevant information of the properties. M'kay, thanks.

Hardcore Unicorn

20,825 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Object of Affection 150
✘✘✘
    Hi there, my profile has suddenly changed in appearance, kind of like it's malfunctioning. I don't think it's the coding because I saved my profile without any of it when editing my profile and it still looks out of alignment. Is this a problem with Gaia? Hopefully I'm explaining myself well enough. sweatdrop

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Mishies
✘✘✘
    Hi there, my profile has suddenly changed in appearance, kind of like it's malfunctioning. I don't think it's the coding because I saved my profile without any of it when editing my profile and it still looks out of alignment. Is this a problem with Gaia? Hopefully I'm explaining myself well enough. sweatdrop

It's a glitch on Gaia's part. I'm not sure why though. Have you tried completely clearing your CSS? If you look on my profile, the comments are displayed correctly (for what I have set), if you look on biglanky's profile his comments are correct as well with no style sheet embedded.

--Edit: It seems to be the minimal setting for comments that is the issue right now.

Sparkly Lunatic

Knight Yoshi
trezoid

I am using W3C format, because I copied and pasted, but only the relevant information of the properties. M'kay, thanks.

It's extremely clear to anyone who knows the relevant formats that you're using the W3Schools format, and no matter how many times you try to deny it we can tell.

You gave the game away with the images, which are used in only one place wink

11,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
trezoid
Knight Yoshi
trezoid

It's extremely clear to anyone who knows the relevant formats that you're using the W3Schools format, and no matter how many times you try to deny it we can tell.

You gave the game away with the images, which are used in only one place wink

No I'm using W3C format, I did take W3S images though. I'm not denying anything. Facts are facts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff