Welcome to Gaia! ::

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Now, I am done reserving. C:

Skilled Genius

fuji jam
The other basics
Partially because I'm not that good at explaining CSS coding, and partially because the person who wrote this guide is a genius, I'm going to link anyone that doesn't know how to do CSS coding over here:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

^-- that guide really is not good. It lacks a lot of information and is also misleading. It leaves more questions than answers. If you want a reference for CSS you should reference my thread http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.81812403/ It doesn't cover the selectors like the one you have listed, but it covers CSS properties and accurately explains them, which is the key part of the CSS since selectors are easy to obtain. The selectors are the only thing good about that thread you have listed.

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Knight Yoshi
fuji jam
The other basics
Partially because I'm not that good at explaining CSS coding, and partially because the person who wrote this guide is a genius, I'm going to link anyone that doesn't know how to do CSS coding over here:

^-- that guide really is not good. It lacks a lot of information and is also misleading. It leaves more questions than answers. If you want a reference for CSS you should reference my thread http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.81812403/ It doesn't cover the selectors like the one you have listed, but it covers CSS properties and accurately explains them, which is the key part of the CSS since selectors are easy to obtain. The selectors are the only thing good about that thread you have listed.

Thanks for showing me your guide, I'll be sure to use it in the future!
I listed that thread because it was quite useful to me when I was a n00b, but I'll reference your thread for now (I might heavily edit my whole thread because I'm still struggling to make a useful guide)

Skilled Genius

fuji jam
Knight Yoshi
fuji jam
The other basics

Thanks for showing me your guide, I'll be sure to use it in the future!
I listed that thread because it was quite useful to me when I was a n00b, but I'll reference your thread for now (I might heavily edit my whole thread because I'm still struggling to make a useful guide)
You'll notice in that thread for instance, it only talks about the background shorthand
Quote:
BACKGROUND COLOR
selector{background: color;}
Which leaves a lot of questions about how each background property works independently and conjointly when in the shorthand method.

The method of getting the IDs of the custom panels in the Current profile is also unnecessary, hovering the panel in edit mode after you have saved the profile with it in there will display the ID of the custom panel.

She doesn't define the purpose of vender prefixes -moz-, filter:, -khtml-, etc like used in the opacity explanation
Quote:
OPACITY
selector{opacity: .8; -moz-opacity: .8; filter:alpha(opacity=80); -khtml-opacity: .8;}

Here's one that really grinds me
Quote:
SCROLLBARS
selector{overflow: scroll; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: auto; height: ##px;}

A lot of pointlessness here. The most you would have to do is specify the overflow-x and overflow-y, not x and y axis overflow and then the shorthand method. This is what her declaration block reads "add the scroll bars to the x & y axis, then hide the x-axis scroll bar and clip the content, but if necessary apply the y-axis scroll bar"

There are just so many things wrong with that thread and it's well out of date on top of that.
I only recommend people reference it for the panel IDs and not for the "CSS explanations and expamples".

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Knight Yoshi
You'll notice in that thread for instance, it only talks about the background shorthand
Quote:
BACKGROUND COLOR
Which leaves a lot of questions about how each background property works independently and conjointly when in the shorthand method.

The method of getting the IDs of the custom panels in the Current profile is also unnecessary, hovering the panel in edit mode after you have saved the profile with it in there will display the ID of the custom panel.

She doesn't define the purpose of vender prefixes -moz-, filter:, -khtml-, etc like used in the opacity explanation
Quote:
OPACITY
selector{opacity: .8; -moz-opacity: .8; filter:alpha(opacity=80); -khtml-opacity: .8;}

Quote:
SCROLLBARS

A lot of pointlessness here. The most you would have to do is specify the overflow-x and overflow-y, not x and y axis overflow and then the shorthand method. This is what her declaration block reads "add the scroll bars to the x & y axis, then hide the x-axis scroll bar and clip the content, but if necessary apply the y-axis scroll bar"

There are just so many things wrong with that thread and it's well out of date on top of that.
I only recommend people reference it for the panel IDs and not for the "CSS explanations and expamples".

I reworded the paragraph, is it better now?
Thank you for helping me with my mini guide

Skilled Genius

fuji jam
Knight Yoshi
Quote:
BACKGROUND COLOR

Quote:
OPACITY

Quote:
SCROLLBARS

I reworded the paragraph, is it better now?
Thank you for helping me with my mini guide
Haha, except my thread isn't specifically for customizing media's, it's to help understand how to use CSS properties.
Also, for this thread you can include what Horntastic has told me about being able to add YouTube playlists to profiles.
Quote:
So it looks like the Youtube playlists do work after all.
This playlist URL: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCC8E9D9B279C58CB&feature=mh_lolz
Becomes: http://www.youtube.com/p/CC8E9D9B279C58CB
So the formula is http://www.youtube.com/p/ + ( playlist_id - PL )
The version=2 tag is compatible, but the googleapis link is not, so it limits how useful this will be on current profiles... unless you can like dig out the long-form url or something?

reinasachiko's Senpai

Dramatic Gentleman

23,715 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Rather than titled "How to customize your media player"
This thread is more like "How to customize your Youtube player"

If you want to talk about customizing media player, it wuld be more like customizing media panel or do you have any plan to add about other players, like one from 4shared?

Kawaii Kitten

16,000 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
Thankyou. This helped a lot.

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Fredy-san
Rather than titled "How to customize your media player"
This thread is more like "How to customize your Youtube player"

If you want to talk about customizing media player, it wuld be more like customizing media panel or do you have any plan to add about other players, like one from 4shared?

Thanks, I'll change the title so it's more direct!

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Beautiful x Mayhem
Thankyou. This helped a lot.

That's great, glad it helped!

Aged Streaker

Knight Yoshi
fuji jam
The other basics

it is really dependent on your audience

the guide listed is my go-to guide as a frequent profile maker because it quickly and easily provides me selectors i need and a very brief description to make sure i know what selectors i'm actually in need of

it's a general "guide" aimed mostly at users who are either trying to slap something together or are comfortable with css overall but need to adjust to the way it displays on gaia.

it's the guide most code noobies go to because it gives them the information they need without a lot of headache-inducing text

something like your thread, while detailed and filled with knowledge, just isn't what most people come to this forum for. you either know your stuff or you don't. most everyone trying to legitimately learn coding don't come to gaia for it. however, the few that do will find your guide very useful

however, i will say i've viewed both guides and USED both guides, i just much more commonly use kayley's because it's just easier for me to flip through fast to find what i need
i still reference very outdated guides too, so i might not be the best person to talk about this kinda stuff, but for me it's just what has worked and what continues to work

on a separate note, thank you very much for this mini guide. it is a quick place for me to bookmark for the adjusted code for the youtube links.

Skilled Genius

nosonia
Knight Yoshi
fuji jam
The other basics

it is really dependent on your audience

the guide listed is my go-to guide as a frequent profile maker because it quickly and easily provides me selectors i need and a very brief description to make sure i know what selectors i'm actually in need of

it's a general "guide" aimed mostly at users who are either trying to slap something together or are comfortable with css overall but need to adjust to the way it displays on gaia.

it's the guide most code noobies go to because it gives them the information they need without a lot of headache-inducing text

something like your thread, while detailed and filled with knowledge, just isn't what most people come to this forum for. you either know your stuff or you don't. most everyone trying to legitimately learn coding don't come to gaia for it. however, the few that do will find your guide very useful

however, i will say i've viewed both guides and USED both guides, i just much more commonly use kayley's because it's just easier for me to flip through fast to find what i need
i still reference very outdated guides too, so i might not be the best person to talk about this kinda stuff, but for me it's just what has worked and what continues to work

on a separate note, thank you very much for this mini guide. it is a quick place for me to bookmark for the adjusted code for the youtube links.
Like I said in my initial posts. The only thing that thread really has going for it are the selectors. Other than that, it's not a good thread. I'm not foolish enough to think that people would go to my thread to fully learn about how to use CSS; however, it is still a reference point. It's less congested than W3Shitheads and easier to read for the average person than the W3C.

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

nosonia

I'm glad my guide is useful :-)

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

IiI kim's Senpai

Profitable Saint

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items