Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Gaian

User Image

Hello GaiaOnline Cummunity,

Over half a decade ago throughout Gaia's Profile Discussion Forum, I had noticed a great deal of people asking if Wix could be used with Gaia. At the time it was seemingly impossible since Gaia uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS for short) rather than a websites most common programming language, HTML. Since I had previous experience using Wix beforehand, I set out with my knowledge in programming languages to shed some light on the topic, and with a little help, I was able to successfully hand convert the HTML Embed Code that Wix provided, which made it usable with Gaia's existing Media Panel. With so many people interested in using Wix, I decided to create the very first guide to using Wix as a GaiaOnline profile, which you can view below. Unknowing at the time, I would be helping out thousands of users, I was very happy that my guide could be so helpful to this community.

Soon after my guide took off, I founded the Official Wix Profile Guild. I founded the Guild so that everyone could collaborate and exchange ideas while expressing their creative side. Ideally, we also used the guild to keep the community updated with current tip and tricks and various tutorials and new guides.

For the last couple of years I had to take hiatus to attend to important real life stuff that extremely limited my spare time. My good friend, assistant, and fellow Guild Staff Member, Horntastic continued on my work during my absence and continued to update the guides and tutorials.

So much has changed with Wix and how it's works over the last couple of years that you can no longer use my method of hand converting the embed code as demonstrated in my guide. I am leaving the guide here however as a visual demonstration on how much things have changed.
Don't be fret however, as mentioned above, Horntastic created a new and updated guide while in my absence that you can use to continue using Wix with Gaia. You can view this guide here: [X]

Although I am no longer running and updating my guide, I would like to thank everyone who supported me and helped me along the way. I will still be helping those who still want to use Wix and continue to answer any questions the community might have. Feel free to join the Guild or send me a PM anytime for help or questions.

Thank you,
Tox

// The Official Wix Guild
To join, please click the button below, the fee is FREE!
User Image

// Regarding the Sale of Wix
Selling WIX profiles is strictly PROHIBITED, both by Gaia ToS & US Copyright Laws.
If you are caught you willl be reported accordingly.
For more info on Copyright Infringement please click here. [x]
Me nor any staff member of the Official Wix Profile Guild endorse or promote the sale of Wix.

User Image

Please Note: This guide is outdated and no longer a viable option in using Wix with Gaia, please head on over to the Official Wix Profile Guild for updated info.

In this guide you will learn how to code and set up your own Wix profile with ease.
What throws people off is, Wix gives you an HTML Embed code which is useless on Gaia
as to Gaia strictly uses cascading style sheet coding, css for short.

// Navigation
Part 1: Converting from HTML[x]
Part 2: Resizing your media[x]
Part 3: Warnings, Credits, and Q&A[x]

Video Guide: [x]

Please read before watching video guide:
The video is outdated as to Wix has changed its Editor since the video was made.
As always I am happy to help you any way I can so please still feel free to PM me with questions of comments.

Anxious Gaian

User Image

To start off, you can make your Wix from whatever template you want or choose to make one from scratch by using the blank one.
Make sure you save it regularly, that way if something were to happen you would not have to redo the entire profile!
When you are done, save the final copy, and click the "Publish" button.

Now click the "</> Embed" button on the bottom and click copy.

This is where Horntastic's Converter comes in handy.
If you would like to save some time, you can use Horntastic's Converter to convert your embed code by clicking here. [x]

If you chose to use Horntastic's Converter, then please skip this next part.
If you chose to not to use Horntastic's Converter, then please continue.

Paste the code into a new text document so you can get a good look at the embed code.
There are two parts to the embed code necessary to use your Wix.

One is the .SWF which I have provided for you below so that you do not have to lurk around the embed code to find it.

Shockwave File link:
http://static.wix.com/client/app.swf?

For the second part, you will want to locate the "flashvars" within your embed code. There are 2 but they are the same.
It starts with "pageid" and ends with "-a"
An example of how to find your flashvars is highlighted in Green below.

&object width="900" height="650" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" &<param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/> <param name="[removed]" value="always"/><param name="base" value="http://static.wix.com"/><param name="movie" value="http://static.wix.com/client/app.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="FlashVars" value="pageId=33TgT_n;VOg-a&embedFormat=normal&embedID=DLTqzEXo4DAT0rvhqbHpNhyhi9e2GxJxn4DwHzTkvwyUu_gd4Jmh8qtt5gm7ZM20a&partner_id=WMGs4POB1ko-a" /><param name="scale" value="noScale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" />

Whether you used Horntastic's converter or hand converted your embed code, the next step is to add it to your media.
Media is found on current v2 profiles.
If you do not have one on your profile, click edit profile > content > add media.

Here is a picture of where to put the converted code:
User Image

Anxious Gaian

User Image

With your wix now on your profile, it is time to resize it.
Make sure your media panel is on column 2 of your profile.
There are two options in resizing it and both just depend on personal preference.
However if you used the converter, go ahead and use the css codes it provided.
These codes will go into the Theme Override.
To get there, click My Gaia > Profile Options.

The first code will center your profile and make it 800x800 in size.
This is just the right size if you do not wish to have much of a scroll bar on your profile.

html,body { background-image: none; background-color: #000000; }
#columns { width: 800px; height: 520px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; float: none; position: relative; top: 50px; }
#column_1, #column_3 { display: none; }
#column_2 { width: 800px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; overflow-y: hidden; }
.panel { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: transparent; }
.panel h2 { display: none; }
#id_media { height: auto; width: auto; }
.media_panel embed, .media_panel object{ height: 800px; width: 800px; }

The second code I have here will center your profile and make it a larger 1000x1000 in size.

html, body { background: #000000; }
.column, #columns { overflow: visible !important; }
#columns { width: 1000px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; float: none; position: relative; top: 50px; }
#column_1, #column_2, #column_3 { position: absolute; margin: 0; }
.media_panel { height: 650px !important; width: 1000px; overflow: hidden; }
.media_panel embed, .media_panel object { height: 1000px; width: 1000px; }
.panel { margin: 0; padding: 0; background: transparent; }
.panel h2 { display: none; }

// Optional - Changing the Background Color
In both these code, the beginning of the code starts out with a background color css code.
The default in both codes is black, which is coded "000000".
If you wish to change the color, you can. All you need to do is change the hex codes.
Default for black is "000000"; default for white is "FFFFFF".
Here is a chart that will help you find the Hex code of the color of your choice.[x]

Anxious Gaian

User Image

This guide was made by me for informational purposes only for those who wish to use Wix as a Gaia Online Profile.
You may not post or use any part of my guide on or outside of Gaia without my consent or you will be reported.
You may not sell my guide for any reason as to it is here for everyone, provided by me, for free.
© Copyright 2011, Toxxn. All rights reserved.

Selling WIX profiles is strictly PROHIBITED, both by Gaia ToS & US Copyright Laws.
If you are caught you willl be reported accordingly.
For more info on Copyright Infringement please click here. [x]

User Image

Brink Kale, whom showed me how to convert embed codes.
Horntastic, for creating the lovely embed converter for us.
Swell Sundae, even though we no longer use her guide to media resizing.
Friends and members of the Official Wix Profile Guild for encouragement.

User Image

Below are commonly asked questions of the Wix user community with answers and solutions for your convenience.
If a question you have is not listed below, them please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help you.

Q: I am having trouble converting the embed code, will you help?
A: Yes, I would be glad to help. Due to my inbox being overloaded I no longer accept PM's.
However, head on over to the Official Wix Profile Guild and I or someone there will help you convert it.

Q: Will you make me a WIX profile?
A: No, I simply do not have the time.
However we do have contests occasionally to win one made by me or other professionals in the Official Wix Profile Guild.

Q: Can you give me ideas for my WIX?
A: Ideas for anything really come from your mind. What inspires you?

Q: I am having problems setting everything up, will you help me?
A: It depends what you mean by "everything". The most I can do is help convert your code and walk you through step by step on what to do.

Q: Will you create any art for me to use in my WIX?
A: No, I do not have the time.

Q: There are large areas of white around my profile, what do I do?
A: This a common problem before I completely redone the Guide, however you should not have this problem i you followed my guide.

Q: How do I add a button to link to PM, journal, trade, etc.?
A: On the wix editor goto page parts, then to buttons.
Set up the button to your liking and then link it to its destination via URL.

Q: My links will not work with my buttons, when I click, nothing happens. Why?
A: Check to see if you added a url to it.

Q: Can I add music to my playlist from Youtube?
A: No, because Wix only accepts .MP3 files. However me and my staff are coding different things and finding what works and what does not through trial and error. Coding for a way to use sound from Youtube is something we are working on.

Q: Can I add songs from my playlist at playlist.com to my Wix?
A: Yes and No. No you cannot add the songs directly to a Wix playlist, however I recently figured out how to add your playlist from playlist.com to your Wix.
A tutorial will be up in the Official Wix Profile Guild soon.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

DO NOT PM ME ASKING ABOUT WIX.

You should clarify that using this for selling purposes is completely illegal.
            You should also clarify that users have no way to remove the trademark on their serviced file.
            You should also clarify that bandwidth becomes an issue, if too many views are given to one particular file.

You should also clarify that wix is a cheap rip off to real flash files.
Let me start off by saying that Wix is a compacted and microwavable version of graphic design, web design, and flash all together. All might seem good when you open that package of heated hot pockets, and the same goes for when you first take a glimpse at the Wix interface, but both of these actions lead to a consequential disaster. (if you're stupid - fat/shitty design).

Wix's interface looks like it was designed by Fisher Price. It has a Club Penguin[/Neopet]-esque feel to the designing process.If you look at the buttons, there are less than thirty six primary functions - that aren't even ALL free. People [,on Gaia at least,] treat this site as a little freebie toy. It's not a toy. This site is primarily focused on allowing people to open shops for e-commerce. That is their obvious target, despite the many idiotic users using Wix's servers to store their poorly designed works. Fisher Price makes their products for simple minded children vis a vis Wix, who also targets simple minded users and consumers.

DISCUSSION: What's your opinion about wix? What are it's flaws? If you use it, why do you use it?

_____more discussion______

Wix lacks three very important symbols that flash has. The button, the movieclip, and the graphic. The button symbol is slightly provided for, except you cannot edit many properties of the object. You can add text to the button, but the text will be a simplistic font. (Did I mention, you have no ability to change the spacing or kerning of the text?)
  • Fact: Wix currently only provides 47 different fonts. I personally have over 2,000 fonts in my flash program.

Wix is trying to reinvent something that is rapidly dying. Wix wants to make an innovative system, in which users can basically mimic flash's ability. They're not doing such a great job. So whatever profiles/designs you're making for Gaia; will all eventually die. So when I see this business go bankrupt, the world will also see millions of users upset over their lost designs.
  • Fact: Wix does not share the raw AS/code with the users that they work with. So if there does come a day when there is a problem with your design, you're screwed - since you won't be able to find the error.

Wix has NO keyframes/frames. So your animation really depends on a shitty .gif file. Wix's animation = how many frames you can get to easily load into a .gif file, or how you can steal a .swf file from another site and use their animation.
  • Fact: Wix gives around 380 pre-made animations of images /factual break/that look like they're drawn by the producers of Dora.

Wix gives no option to turn off their own logo widget. It may seem perfectly fine until you explore the widget. If you were able to take your profile from your embed code, anyone could easily take it as well. Wix just tosses out your profile code willy nilly, unless - of course, you want to pay 210 dollars a year. 3nodding

More to be added.

Look at this s**t I got from an anon user:

Anon

I understand that it upsets multiple people, but you need to understand that some people dont have knowledge of cascading style sheets, of flash etc. and Wix is an alternative for those people without having to pay a bunch of gold to someone else to make one for them.

Uh, no. Wix is an alternative to people who are too damn lazy to learn about "cascading style sheets" (I love how he/she wrote that out to sound smart) and flash.

Popular Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
0c o

You should clarify that using this for selling purposes is completely illegal.
            You should also clarify that users have no way to remove the trademark on their serviced file.
            You should also clarify that bandwidth becomes an issue, if too many views are given to one particular file.

You should also clarify that wix is a cheap rip off to real flash files.

win.

Anxious Gaian

Quote this for comments or for fast responses.

Popular Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
User Image

You are responsible for what they do because you are telling them how to set it up.
So it would be your fault if they sell them.

Donate? User Image

Anxious Gaian

The Darkened One II
User Image

You are responsible for what they do because you are telling them how to set it up.
So it would be your fault if they sell them.

Donate? User Image

According the gaia TOS, its under the buyers own risk when purchasing something within or outside of gaia.
You can review the gaia TOS Here.
Also, What people do with THEIR OWN wix profiles is in no way, and will never be within my responsibility. I cannot be held responsible for someone elses actions in any way enless I provoked them to do so, and in this case, this guide is for informational purposes, and in no way do I provoke anything by making this guide.
In turn, I have placed a warning on the first post regarding the guide itself.

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Oh god gonk this is a dream come true! finally knowing you can convert the damn Wix into to your profile is amazing!

Bad thing about this...is that...I don't know a single thing about making profiles! gonk

-dies and looks for manuals-

emo

But you did a great Job,I might advice what the others are saying here in this forum,but its up to you if you would like to listen to them or no ^ o ^,im too happy to have a choice~ heart

If this is rude then im' sorry ;x -slaps self-

Newbie Noob

☂ ☂ ☂ 矜楊永米白介素
              そしていつも あきらめてた 約束も 果たせなくて かくれてた

Next day you know ;O
                SELLING PRO FLASH PROFILES 5k Everywhere ;x
I have some problems, look at my profile and now look at my code; sorry for asking this question:

&object width="2800" height="750" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" >

&embed src="http://static.wix.com/client/app.swf" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowNetworking="all" [removed]="always" FlashVars="pageId=VKUP4GAijRk-a&embedFormat=normal&embedID=xRoHqDBUaKzkqd1D6yIcyR9V6iY9PLMBSNjN9lyGA_zPtnNfQapqjDX7QZ;r15PVa&partner_id=WMGs4POB1ko-a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="2800" height="750" base="http://static.wix.com" scale="noscale" salign="tl" &&/embed&&/object&Free website - Wix.com
.media_panel embed, .media_panel object{width:2800px;height:750px;}
.media_panel, #columns, .column{overflow: visible !important;}

Anxious Gaian

Sobering
I have some problems, look at my profile and now look at my code; sorry for asking this question:

&object width="2800" height="750" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" >

&embed src="http://static.wix.com/client/app.swf" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowNetworking="all" [removed]="always" FlashVars="pageId=VKUP4GAijRk-a&embedFormat=normal&embedID=xRoHqDBUaKzkqd1D6yIcyR9V6iY9PLMBSNjN9lyGA_zPtnNfQapqjDX7QZ;r15PVa&partner_id=WMGs4POB1ko-a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="2800" height="750" base="http://static.wix.com" scale="noscale" salign="tl" &&/embed&&/object&Free website - Wix.com
.media_panel embed, .media_panel object{width:2800px;height:750px;}
.media_panel, #columns, .column{overflow: visible !important;}

I notice two problems.
One being you have your profile set to oldschool. I have a way to convert a qix to oldschool however havent had time to extend this guide.
Two, That wix code involves alot of the original embed code which is rending it unusable.

Shoot me a PM containing the embed code Wix provided to you, and Ill convert it for you.

Anxious Gaian

ChappaDollie
Oh god gonk this is a dream come true! finally knowing you can convert the damn Wix into to your profile is amazing!

Bad thing about this...is that...I don't know a single thing about making profiles! gonk

-dies and looks for manuals-

emo

But you did a great Job,I might advice what the others are saying here in this forum,but its up to you if you would like to listen to them or no ^ o ^,im too happy to have a choice~ heart

If this is rude then im' sorry ;x -slaps self-

I thought this guide would help as to for a long time iv seen the same question "Can you use wix as a profile, if so how?" Which inspired me to make the guide.
Thank you on the compliment, I have already placed a warning adviseing users they cannot sell my guide for any reason. However making a profile for someone isnt illegal on gaia. There are alot of shops in the forums selling user made profiles. I have also reviewed the gaia TOS on multiple occasions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff