Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Codger

7,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
As we are all aware by now, Santino has been picking up momentum in recent weeks, the high point thus far being that he won the US title (granted, under chaotic circumstances, but regardless). It seems that management is behind Santino, but my question is how long will this last given current circumstances?

Lets be honest; despite the hatred some people want to put on him (although recently people have taking a liking to the guy), he is a crowd pleaser and does work hard. I mean, come on; do you know how much energy it takes to be that over the top? At the same time, though, that attitude as a gimmick might hurt his chances if he wants to break the glass ceiling into the main event spotlight. Now keep in mind, I honestly don't see him getting there at any point, since he seems content pushing younger, hungrier stars forward (because someone has to...Orton...), but then again, when has WWE management ever think about what the people want, am I right?

So to spark some discussion:

-Where will Santino go with this new found momentum?

-Does he have the potential of breaking into the main event scene?

-If so, should he drop his gimmick in favor of something more serious (while still keeping some of the goofiness he's known for)?

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
This is as high as he goes. His gimmick cripples his in-ring abilities, so I don't see the potential for him some day getting into a real main event spot. He and Ryder are the Doinks of this generation. They're going to be fun to watch, but they'll never get that big gold belt.

Dapper Codger

7,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
kevin3485
This is as high as he goes. His gimmick cripples his in-ring abilities, so I don't see the potential for him some day getting into a real main event spot. He and Ryder are the Doinks of this generation. They're going to be fun to watch, but they'll never get that big gold belt.

I'll agree on Santino; even with dropping the gimmick, I don't really see him getting past midcard. Granted, there's nothing wrong with that, considering we see more of the gimmicks at the midcard level anyway.

However, I think Ryder has the potential to be a main eventer, given time and a different gimmick. He could still keep the "Long Island Iced Z" gimmick for the webshow and be a serious competitor on TV.

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Dion Necurat
kevin3485

I'll agree on Santino; even with dropping the gimmick, I don't really see him getting past midcard. Granted, there's nothing wrong with that, considering we see more of the gimmicks at the midcard level anyway.

However, I think Ryder has the potential to be a main eventer, given time and a different gimmick. He could still keep the "Long Island Iced Z" gimmick for the webshow and be a serious competitor on TV.

Ryder's got potential to do something big in the WWE, but I'm not sure he'll ever be at a world champion caliber. I like him way more than I do Santino, because Ryder's goofiness doesn't hurt him in the ring, but I see the WWE just not pushing him because they didn't create him. Sure, they'll toss him the few storylines and mid card belts here and there, but I doubt they'll ever give him the opportunity to be a world champ.

Dapper Codger

7,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
kevin3485
Dion Necurat
kevin3485

Ryder's got potential to do something big in the WWE, but I'm not sure he'll ever be at a world champion caliber. I like him way more than I do Santino, because Ryder's goofiness doesn't hurt him in the ring, but I see the WWE just not pushing him because they didn't create him. Sure, they'll toss him the few storylines and mid card belts here and there, but I doubt they'll ever give him the opportunity to be a world champ.

It could be something like a Miz growth for Ryder, only as a face; he gets pushed to the main event via MITB. That's the only possibility I see for the moment.

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Dion Necurat
kevin3485
Dion Necurat
kevin3485

It could be something like a Miz growth for Ryder, only as a face; he gets pushed to the main event via MITB. That's the only possibility I see for the moment.

Hmmmm...if they do give Ryder the MitB spot, here's how I'd actually like to see that go:

He wins the ladder match, goes to cash it in on whoever happens to be a heel champ at the time (possibly Daniel Bryan). Get a good solid match out of the two, have Ryder be on the verge of winning, and then get royally screwed over (best if done on RAW or SD) so that he loses his briefcase. Have Ryder appeal to get a rematch, but heel GM (probably Johnny Ace) keeps telling him no, that he has to start back at the bottom, maybe even giving him the "if you lose, you're fired" clause. He busts his a**, works his way up, finally getting his title shot at the champ...and loses due to another screwjob by heel GM. Have face GM come in (probably would work best with Hunter), save Ryder's job and gives him one more opportunity to win the belt...and that's how he becomes world champ.

7,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I don't know what's next for the guy, really. Every time he's elevated he goes back down, and like some of you say, I don't think he'll ever truly become a main-eventer.

Big Loverboy

7,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I could see Santino winning the belt, but not hold it for long.

I'm sure Santino is probably waiting and purposely pushing others because he understands:
Patience is everything. Only few never won the big belt. But today, it seems like everyone is getting a heavyweight shot now.

Mark Henry finally got his monster push and has been around for how long as just a dumb enforcer?
Kane same issue.

Santino will get his time when the belt is deemed ok or needs to get some shaking going on. Doesn't matter What Gimmick, WWE Seems to Reward people for long time loyalty by giving them a limelight some time.

I would hope, Santino would lose his Goofball Gimmick and get a more Serious one down the road still.

He is great. I kind of feel Santino was supposed to get the Del Rio gimmick: Rich/Mix of English and what ever they wanted to push him as/Over all a*****e-Smug, but some one must have pulled it before hand/AT that time, his goofyness was fan favorite so they kept him there.

Santino I believe is IC material anyway. IC belt I always thought was a more technical belt and the Heavy Weight belt was for your power houses. Again, Thats my Opinion.

Dapper Codger

7,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mike Riovanes
I could see Santino winning the belt, but not hold it for long.

I'm sure Santino is probably waiting and purposely pushing others because he understands:
Patience is everything. Only few never won the big belt. But today, it seems like everyone is getting a heavyweight shot now.

Mark Henry finally got his monster push and has been around for how long as just a dumb enforcer?
Kane same issue.

Santino will get his time when the belt is deemed ok or needs to get some shaking going on. Doesn't matter What Gimmick, WWE Seems to Reward people for long time loyalty by giving them a limelight some time.

I would hope, Santino would lose his Goofball Gimmick and get a more Serious one down the road still.

He is great. I kind of feel Santino was supposed to get the Del Rio gimmick: Rich/Mix of English and what ever they wanted to push him as/Over all a*****e-Smug, but some one must have pulled it before hand/AT that time, his goofyness was fan favorite so they kept him there.

Santino I believe is IC material anyway. IC belt I always thought was a more technical belt and the Heavy Weight belt was for your power houses. Again, Thats my Opinion.

See, I'm a fan of Santino because despite the goofball gimmick, he can play the ultimate underdog role better than Rey. Take when he first debuted in WWE: sure, he had help to get that title, and sure he only played a bit part in the McMahon & Umaga/Trump & Lashley feud, but everyone expected him to be completely decimated and had somewhat of a decent showing. Despite the goofiness that he's known for, he can work a ring rather well.

It makes me wonder if they'll ever let Ricardo become a serious competitor...

Big Loverboy

7,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Dion Necurat

See, I'm a fan of Santino because despite the goofball gimmick, he can play the ultimate underdog role better than Rey. Take when he first debuted in WWE: sure, he had help to get that title, and sure he only played a bit part in the McMahon & Umaga/Trump & Lashley feud, but everyone expected him to be completely decimated and had somewhat of a decent showing. Despite the goofiness that he's known for, he can work a ring rather well.

It makes me wonder if they'll ever let Ricardo become a serious competitor...

I've been enjoying Santino in a lot of his current pushes. I hope one day he will win the Royal Rumble and take the gold just to say he did it.

To State as well: If I got to be an on screen Boyfriend to some one like Beth, I'd be happy with out a belt to be honest.

Lavish Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Dion Necurat

Omg, Santino is a great wrestler! I mean, in his debut fight he beat UMAGA! {Rest in peace}
He is very good at what he does...but sadly so are others! So, they sent him on a different path, a comical one.

He is still a great wrestler! and in any given time he can shine through! but in the meantime, he is just preforming as the comic relief! and does a great job at it. I even dare say, he is a softer version {sillier} of Eddie or Carlitos! {Latino pride man} Idk, i enjoy him all the time, be it serious or comical! he is a very well round about entertainer <3
I don't think there's anything next for him imo i don't see him breaking him into the main event scene he'll stay in the position he's in right now i would kind of like to see him do something besides the comedy stuff but i think that's his key to staying around.

Dapper Codger

7,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
XStr8EdgeX
I don't think there's anything next for him imo i don't see him breaking him into the main event scene he'll stay in the position he's in right now i would kind of like to see him do something besides the comedy stuff but i think that's his key to staying around.

I'll agree on the not breaking into the main event scene, but I can argue with the comedy schtick being his only reason here. He was a serious competitor when he first joined up back when Trump and McMahon had their feud, and did a pretty decent job at that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff