Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Sweetheart

So, I just found an article from TMZ, and it says right after Wrestlemania Undertaker was rushed to the hospital for a concussion. THAT could very well be the reason why the streak ended last night, otherwise the match would have kept going. If this is why the watch ended the way it did, I am not so salty over it.

A friend of mine was just telling me he caught Taker tapping on Lesner at some point in the match, and if he does something like that, something had to have been wrong. I felt like something was off last night anyways. Undertaker didn't carry as well as he did with CM Punk. This had to be why.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/07/undertaker-wwe-hospitalized-wrestlemania-streak-concussion/

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm still not buying it. I still think the decision was made sometime between the match being made and the WWE realizing that Taker's not really in the best shape anymore. Him tapping Lesnar was probably more of a go for the finish of the match, and not a changing of the outcome. Besides, the outcomes aren't something you normally change in the ring. Only time I remember that happening was in a match with Booker and Rick Martel in WCW.

Interesting Sweetheart

Rumblestiltskin
I'm still not buying it. I still think the decision was made sometime between the match being made and the WWE realizing that Taker's not really in the best shape anymore. Him tapping Lesnar was probably more of a go for the finish of the match, and not a changing of the outcome. Besides, the outcomes aren't something you normally change in the ring. Only time I remember that happening was in a match with Booker and Rick Martel in WCW.

Well, this makes me feel a bit better anyways. Taker looked so off during the match anyways, so when I decided to search Taker, I found this. TMZ is usually a more reliable gossip place.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin

The Road Warriors were notorious for it, actually. There's a number of times when it's said that they were supposed to lose matches. But, as the legend goes, while waiting behind the curtains for their entrances, they supposedly would look at the opponents and smile, saying "You know you're losing tonight, right?"

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Rumblestiltskin

The Road Warriors were notorious for it, actually. There's a number of times when it's said that they were supposed to lose matches. But, as the legend goes, while waiting behind the curtains for their entrances, they supposedly would look at the opponents and smile, saying "You know you're losing tonight, right?"

You're also talking about a different era of wrestling, and two completely different performers. If this were just a regular match on any other PPV, I'd be more inclined to agree that there's a possibility that the ending may have been changed mid match. It's happened before with Edge and Orton (when Orton dislocated his shoulder). However, we're talking about probably the most protected item in WWE history: the Streak. I find it highly unlikely that Taker and Brock would just change the finish mid match, when, if Taker was supposed to win, they could have had Brock tap to the Hell's Gate. Plus, it's been reported that the finish was for Taker to lose. When they decided this, who knows...but the outcome wasn't changed mid match.

Invisible Star

12,450 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
The apparent injury had no bearing on the finish of the match, which ended exactly as planned. The injury is believed to have happened early in the match when Undertaker took a bad fall off a single leg.

Nuclear Disaster

black_wing_angel
Rumblestiltskin

I remember a story about that where they went over the Fabulous Ones when they were booked to job to them. The Fabulous Ones were livid afterwards, saying something like "nobody's changed the finish on us in 17 years!", and Hawk just nonchalantly says "well, we just did!"

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
After hearing the stories, I believed that Brock injured yet another wrestler.

After watching the match, I can tell that it was an EXCELLENT performance by Taker. Great storytelling and he made it clear that he was in the shape he needed to be to BELIEVABLY take down Brock (who is in excellent shape, btw).

Im sure that Mark was fine with Taker finally ending the streak. He doesnt even wrestle more than once a year anymore and he knows that his legacy was more than just the streak. WAY more.

Think about it this way. His Hell In The Cell match with Mankind DID NOT happen at Wrestlemania...

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Niji no Jojishi

After watching the match, I can tell that it was an EXCELLENT performance by Taker. Great storytelling and he made it clear that he was in the shape he needed to be to BELIEVABLY take down Brock (who is in excellent shape, btw).

Im sure that Mark was fine with Taker finally ending the streak. He doesnt even wrestle more than once a year anymore and he knows that his legacy was more than just the streak. WAY more.

Think about it this way. His Hell In The Cell match with Mankind DID NOT happen at Wrestlemania...

I don't think anyone's doubting that Brock injured Taker. Granted, I don't think he did it deliberately, and it was probably a bad idea to put someone as worn down as Taker in the ring with Brock anyway...and let's not forget that accidents happen in the ring all the time, so I don't think you can truly blame Brock...at least, not to the point of demonizing him anyway (by the way, just so we're clear...I'm not a big Lesnar fan, so I'm not defending him out of any sense of loyalty...just thought I'd make that clear).

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi

I don't think anyone's doubting that Brock injured Taker. Granted, I don't think he did it deliberately, and it was probably a bad idea to put someone as worn down as Taker in the ring with Brock anyway...and let's not forget that accidents happen in the ring all the time, so I don't think you can truly blame Brock...at least, not to the point of demonizing him anyway (by the way, just so we're clear...I'm not a big Lesnar fan, so I'm not defending him out of any sense of loyalty...just thought I'd make that clear).

Well, allow me to defend Brock for a second.

He doesnt want to wrestle full time. Doesnt feel like taking that beating. Vince still sees him as an asset to the company. He is in a perfect space for HIM lol.

That being said, my first statement was about my assumptions due to listening to a string of assumptions. Namely, the concussion making Taker look sluggish. From what I saw, he was very limber at first and then Brock began to wear him down, beating on him relentlessly. Then it gets to a point where Taker cant even stand up because not only is he trying to show that he is recovering (storytelling), Brock is also doing a good job of staying on top of Taker.

This is coming from an MMA fighter (Brock) and an MMA enthusiast (Taker).

I think that played out brilliantly because I dont see how else Taker could have lost and I dont know (especially now that the streak is gone) why Taker should have won because he had nothing to gain.

It was, also, a brilliant way to launch the WWE Network.

Wins all around.

Then... something had to offset Daniel Bryan beating Triple HHH (Great match) and Randy & Bautista on the same night. Seriously.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Niji no Jojishi
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi

He doesnt want to wrestle full time. Doesnt feel like taking that beating. Vince still sees him as an asset to the company. He is in a perfect space for HIM lol.

That being said, my first statement was about my assumptions due to listening to a string of assumptions. Namely, the concussion making Taker look sluggish. From what I saw, he was very limber at first and then Brock began to wear him down, beating on him relentlessly. Then it gets to a point where Taker cant even stand up because not only is he trying to show that he is recovering (storytelling), Brock is also doing a good job of staying on top of Taker.

I think that played out brilliantly because I dont see how else Taker could have lost and I dont know (especially now that the streak is gone) why Taker should have won because he had nothing to gain.

Wins all around.

Then... something had to offset Daniel Bryan beating Triple HHH (Great match) and Randy & Bautista on the same night. Seriously.

I disagree on how the match went. It was painfully slow and ridiculously one sided...yes, I know that's the story they wanted to tell, but it didn't make for an entertaining fight (at least, in my opinion). Honestly, it was easily the worst match on the card, though, it'll probably be the most memorable thanks to the finish (which Cena/Wyatt had the worst finish of the card).

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi

Wins all around.

I disagree on how the match went. It was painfully slow and ridiculously one sided...yes, I know that's the story they wanted to tell, but it didn't make for an entertaining fight (at least, in my opinion). Honestly, it was easily the worst match on the card, though, it'll probably be the most memorable thanks to the finish (which Cena/Wyatt had the worst finish of the card).
I guess to that I would say the "realism" itself was the entertainment. It was modeled after the pacing of a real MMA fight. Generally, you dont run around much. Everything is smoother and more calculated as a result. Each flurry is timed perfectly with the stamina of doing the flurries and the risk of it not working.

All that being said, it was entertaining to me to see that aspect at play and I only offer that up because of the MMA history they both have.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Niji no Jojishi
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi
Rumblestiltskin
Niji no Jojishi

Wins all around.

I guess to that I would say the "realism" itself was the entertainment. It was modeled after the pacing of a real MMA fight. Generally, you dont run around much. Everything is smoother and more calculated as a result. Each flurry is timed perfectly with the stamina of doing the flurries and the risk of it not working.

All that being said, it was entertaining to me to see that aspect at play and I only offer that up because of the MMA history they both have.

That could be why I wasn't a fan of the match. I don't like MMA. I've watched enough of it to know that I'm not a fan, mostly cause of how uncoordinated it is. That's why I prefer wrestling.

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Rumblestiltskin

That could be why I wasn't a fan of the match. I don't like MMA. I've watched enough of it to know that I'm not a fan, mostly cause of how uncoordinated it is. That's why I prefer wrestling.
So you would prefer everything mapped out and followed to the letter? Much like a play?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Niji no Jojishi
Rumblestiltskin

So you would prefer everything mapped out and followed to the letter? Much like a play?

Not necessarily. Just because I don't like how uncoordinated and sloppy it is, it doesn't mean that I need everything mapped out, as there aren't only two options (that's what's called a false dichotomy). Plus, most wrestling matches don't map everything out to begin with. They play it by ear judging by how the crowd is reacting, generally speaking. But even then, there's just more action in most wrestling matches.

But, to be fair, I majored in theater in college...so there is that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff