• Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
black_wing_angel
Yobyaxes R
Mayor of Murderwood
Yobyaxes R
Mayor of Murderwood

Wait, you're surprised that Punk is venting his frustrations...on a show...where he was said to vent his frustrations? eek

No not surprised, just disillusioned.

There really isn't much to say one way or the other about Punk's side of the story, given that there's little evidence to base it off of aside from personal testimony and he-said-she-said. That being the case, however, knowledge of the industry does seem to favor Punk's story. Does that mean I believe 100% that he's telling the truth? Not without evidence backing it, no. Likely, but until I see more, skepticism is healthy.

Damn I just wrote a giant essay and it didn't submit. But the TL;DR version of it is that I don't have a problem with Punk leaving due to his health, but he came off as a whiny b***h for saying that WWE didn't cater to him.

And feminism is STILL bullshit.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. If he had genuine health concerns (which, of course, is an "if" ), then ok. But the way he went about it was simply unacceptable. A simple "Hey, I'm kinda...not feeling well. Wind me down, and write me off TV, if you can do that, for me." Hell, they could've used it as an opportunity to push someone. But no, he just walked off the jobsite. Even Austin said that walking out was the stupidest thing he ever did, and regrets doing it.

Including feminism is bullshit? pirate

Might've been bullshit the way he left, but he managed to exploit the beauty of being an independent contractor. Here is some info for background (yes, its Wikipedia; next best source was the IRS...).

Quote:
And aside from that, there's the matter of what all he had to say about why he was "angry". Which literally comes down to him not getting his way.

You do realize that his frustrations with the creative process were not limited to how he was booked, right?

Quote:
Sure, people s**t on the WWE for making Batista win the Rumble, but did they drop the ball? People seem to forget that HEEL HEAT is a major factor in the industry, and what's more heat-fueling, than having a part-timer win a match that the single most favored guy in the company wasn't even allowed to participate in? And in the end, did it NOT work out?

Given that after Batista's return and subsequent Rumble win, he went cold and was made more or less a laughing stock and a stepping stone...no? There's a difference between heel heat and negative heat. Batista was booked as a face, not a heel. That wasn't heel heat he was getting; it was real heat, which is bad.

Quote:
Basically, Punk was upset that he wasn't in John Cena's spot. Which, hey, everyone wants to be. Can't fault him for wanting. But to b***h and moan like he did, over the fact that he didn't make it? That's just whiny.

Except he did make it. I'm not really sure where you're getting that he "didn't make it".

Quote:
But now it's come to light that he's signed with the UFC. Anyone want to place bets on how well that goes? xd

Better than Kimbo Slice. xd

In all seriousness, he'll either be decent or get KTFO fight after fight. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Mayor of Murderwood
black_wing_angel
Yobyaxes R
Mayor of Murderwood
Yobyaxes R

No not surprised, just disillusioned.

There really isn't much to say one way or the other about Punk's side of the story, given that there's little evidence to base it off of aside from personal testimony and he-said-she-said. That being the case, however, knowledge of the industry does seem to favor Punk's story. Does that mean I believe 100% that he's telling the truth? Not without evidence backing it, no. Likely, but until I see more, skepticism is healthy.

Damn I just wrote a giant essay and it didn't submit. But the TL;DR version of it is that I don't have a problem with Punk leaving due to his health, but he came off as a whiny b***h for saying that WWE didn't cater to him.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. If he had genuine health concerns (which, of course, is an "if" ), then ok. But the way he went about it was simply unacceptable. A simple "Hey, I'm kinda...not feeling well. Wind me down, and write me off TV, if you can do that, for me." Hell, they could've used it as an opportunity to push someone. But no, he just walked off the jobsite. Even Austin said that walking out was the stupidest thing he ever did, and regrets doing it.

Don't even get me started on that one...

Quote:
Might've been bullshit the way he left, but he managed to exploit the beauty of being an independent contractor. Here is some info for background (yes, its Wikipedia; next best source was the IRS...).

Not saying it was illegal. Just a real d**k move.

Quote:
And aside from that, there's the matter of what all he had to say about why he was "angry". Which literally comes down to him not getting his way.

You do realize that his frustrations with the creative process were not limited to how he was booked, right?

That was still his biggest complaint. And the rest is still whining.

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, people s**t on the WWE for making Batista win the Rumble, but did they drop the ball? People seem to forget that HEEL HEAT is a major factor in the industry, and what's more heat-fueling, than having a part-timer win a match that the single most favored guy in the company wasn't even allowed to participate in? And in the end, did it NOT work out?

Given that after Batista's return and subsequent Rumble win, he went cold and was made more or less a laughing stock and a stepping stone...no? There's a difference between heel heat and negative heat. Batista was booked as a face, not a heel.

That doesn't really matter. Many stars have had their character statuses altered based on not getting the "intended" reaction. The Legion of Doom being a prime example.

Quote:
That wasn't heel heat he was getting; it was real heat, which is bad.

Not necessarily. It's all in how you handle it.

in 2005, Edge was UNDENIABLY the most hated person in the WWE. Legitimately. Why? Because of the Lita affair. That was REAL heat. And he took it, ran with it, and used it to push himself to new heights. There is no ******** way he would've climbed to the company status he ended up achieving as a top heel, and subsequent main eventer status stemming from it, without that controversy.

"Real heat" is only bad, when it's not handled properly. And WWE ABSOLUTELY handled the Batista flop with true finesse, using it to launch Daniel Bryan into a massive spotlight in the Wrestlemania main event picture.

In contrast, the whole Mike Adamle thing was....well.....there really was no way to "properly" handle that fiasco...but still....

Quote:
Quote:
Basically, Punk was upset that he wasn't in John Cena's spot. Which, hey, everyone wants to be. Can't fault him for wanting. But to b***h and moan like he did, over the fact that he didn't make it? That's just whiny.

Except he did make it. I'm not really sure where you're getting that he "didn't make it".

He made it pretty high up the ladder. He didn't become John Cena.

Quote:
Quote:
But now it's come to light that he's signed with the UFC. Anyone want to place bets on how well that goes? xd

I'm honestly not sure about that, sadly...

Quote:
In all seriousness, he'll either be decent or get KTFO fight after fight. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

Considering the fact that his training essentially amounts to a "crash course", I'm saying...probably the latter.

It might work, if he were going into some indie thing, against equally green guys. But he's going into the battleground of elite fighters. Well tempered masters of the art of MMA. On the equivalent of a 15 minute cram-fest before heading off to school.

He's going to get killed....

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
black_wing_angel
Yobyaxes R
Mayor of Murderwood

'Twas a joke.

Quote:
Quote:

To be fair, so is a lot of things that the WWE does to their contractees. In this case, however, they couldn't take what he dished out.

In general, its a situation where both sides handled things poorly.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That was still his biggest complaint.

That the booking was bad in general, or that the booking was bad for him specifically? Because there are a number of cases I could point out where booking went horrible for people. Ryder, Ziggler, Batista, etc.

Quote:
And the rest is still whining.

Might come across that way, but it doesn't make the point any less valid.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Given that after Batista's return and subsequent Rumble win, he went cold and was made more or less a laughing stock and a stepping stone...no? There's a difference between heel heat and negative heat. Batista was booked as a face, not a heel.

That doesn't really matter. Many stars have had their character statuses altered based on not getting the "intended" reaction. The Legion of Doom being a prime example.

And in this case, they did it wrong.

Quote:
Quote:

in 2005, Edge was UNDENIABLY the most hated person in the WWE. Legitimately. Why? Because of the Lita affair. That was REAL heat. And he took it, ran with it, and used it to push himself to new heights. There is no ******** way he would've climbed to the company status he ended up achieving as a top heel, and subsequent main eventer status stemming from it, without that controversy.

"Real heat" is only bad, when it's not handled properly. And WWE ABSOLUTELY handled the Batista flop with true finesse, using it to launch Daniel Bryan into a massive spotlight in the Wrestlemania main event picture.

In contrast, the whole Mike Adamle thing was....well.....there really was no way to "properly" handle that fiasco...but still....

See above.

The way Batista was handled post Rumble was not nearly as bad as Adamle, but it wasn't exactly done well. Yes, he was in the main event at Mania. However, he was pretty much a forgotten factor (at least from how I remember it; I'd need to look back). From what I remember, they basically made Batista a caricature of Punk; waltzing in, demanding this and that (we had a deal), and not really getting anywhere and up and leaving. Granted, most of that had to do with Guardians, but from what I recall, Batista had mentioned he didn't really like what they did from a creative standpoint with him either. I'll need to look that up and get back to you, though.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He made it pretty high up the ladder. He didn't become John Cena.

Which, if I recall, wasn't necessarily the end goal.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't Kimbo lose one match and quit?

Quote:
Quote:

Considering the fact that his training essentially amounts to a "crash course", I'm saying...probably the latter.

It might work, if he were going into some indie thing, against equally green guys. But he's going into the battleground of elite fighters. Well tempered masters of the art of MMA. On the equivalent of a 15 minute cram-fest before heading off to school.

Having looked into it, UFC won't be doing the same thing they did with Lesnar; slow burn rather than light fuse and run away. He'll be up against guys with similar records or similar experience (0-0 or somewhat new/maybe experienced, respectively), so he'll have time to develop.

Not to mention, I doubt Punk's just been sitting around doing nothing for this. If its what he really wants to do, I'd think he's been training for it between when he left (maybe before) and now (though whether it was conditioning or acclimating to the style, I can't say).

But again, he could be really good, he could be really bad. We don't really know until we see it, so why speculate?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Mayor of Murderwood
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
black_wing_angel
Yobyaxes R

'Twas a joke.

I'm aware.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To be fair, so is a lot of things that the WWE does to their contractees. In this case, however, they couldn't take what he dished out.

Sure. My point isn't that WWE was somehow a hapless victim. It's that people sucking up to Punk, need to recognize that he didn't exactly take the high-road...

Quote:
Quote:

Possibly. But my point is that expressing a disagreement can come in 2 forms: A civil expression, or "whining". One of these irritates me to no end...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm honestly not sure about that. I don't really think Batista intended to go very far in this "return".. Pretty much win the belt one more time, carry it until he loses it, and then disappear again.

At least, that's the impression that I got from it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See above.

The way Batista was handled post Rumble was not nearly as bad as Adamle, but it wasn't exactly done well. Yes, he was in the main event at Mania. However, he was pretty much a forgotten factor (at least from how I remember it; I'd need to look back). From what I remember, they basically made Batista a caricature of Punk; waltzing in, demanding this and that (we had a deal), and not really getting anywhere and up and leaving.

Well...it's Batista. There's really not much you can do with him, on the fly...

I'm honestly amazed the guy can dress himself, for ******** sake...

Quote:
Granted, most of that had to do with Guardians, but from what I recall, Batista had mentioned he didn't really like what they did from a creative standpoint with him either. I'll need to look that up and get back to you, though.

Batista's the same guy that has admitted to cheating on his wife on the road, justifying it with "she had cancer. She was never "in the mood". I did what I had to do".

Somehow, I don't take his criticisms seriously. He seems a very selfish individual.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I recall, he won 2 fights first.

I KNOW he won at least 1...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Having looked into it, UFC won't be doing the same thing they did with Lesnar; slow burn rather than light fuse and run away. He'll be up against guys with similar records or similar experience (0-0 or somewhat new/maybe experienced, respectively), so he'll have time to develop.

Not to mention, I doubt Punk's just been sitting around doing nothing for this. If its what he really wants to do, I'd think he's been training for it between when he left (maybe before) and now (though whether it was conditioning or acclimating to the style, I can't say).

Like I said, it's not that he has no skill, it's the VAST difference IN skill. Equivalent to putting a team of high school football players, up against an NFL team. Sure, they're all "trained", and probably spent a respectable amount of time in that training....but there's still a massive difference made, if by experience, alone.

These guys they're putting him up against, are being shown to have low records. But those are PROFESSIONAL records, negating any amateur fights they already had, before becoming pro. Punk is not getting that chance at amateur status. He is not being given an opportunity to develop, at all.

And as such....he's going to get killed. I'm calling it, here and now.

Quote:
But again, he could be really good, he could be really bad. We don't really know until we see it, so why speculate?

Because the sheer logic of the situation paints a vivid enough picture...

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
black_wing_angel
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. My point isn't that WWE was somehow a hapless victim. It's that people sucking up to Punk, need to recognize that he didn't exactly take the high-road...

Oddly enough, in a lot of conversations I've had with Punk fans, a majority (not a huge majority, mind you) admit that he didn't really do things right. Some of those in that majority needed coaxing, though.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Possibly. But my point is that expressing a disagreement can come in 2 forms: A civil expression, or "whining". One of these irritates me to no end...

Right, and that's fine as a personal viewpoint.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm honestly not sure about that. I don't really think Batista intended to go very far in this "return".. Pretty much win the belt one more time, carry it until he loses it, and then disappear again.

At least, that's the impression that I got from it.

I recall there being some kind of arrangement. Not sure what that entailed, but with Guardians release being so close and the backlash from his rumble win, that idea seemed to skid by the wayside. People were happy to see him come back; to see him get a push right away to the main event at WrestleMania? That rubbed people wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See above.

The way Batista was handled post Rumble was not nearly as bad as Adamle, but it wasn't exactly done well. Yes, he was in the main event at Mania. However, he was pretty much a forgotten factor (at least from how I remember it; I'd need to look back). From what I remember, they basically made Batista a caricature of Punk; waltzing in, demanding this and that (we had a deal), and not really getting anywhere and up and leaving.

Well...it's Batista. There's really not much you can do with him, on the fly...

I'm honestly amazed the guy can dress himself, for ******** sake...

Ah yes. Blue-tista.

Quote:
Quote:
Granted, most of that had to do with Guardians, but from what I recall, Batista had mentioned he didn't really like what they did from a creative standpoint with him either. I'll need to look that up and get back to you, though.

Batista's the same guy that has admitted to cheating on his wife on the road, justifying it with "she had cancer. She was never "in the mood". I did what I had to do".

Somehow, I don't take his criticisms seriously. He seems a very selfish individual.

I suppose its a good thing Guardians took off the way it did, eh?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I recall, he won 2 fights first.

I KNOW he won at least 1...

There we go: Overall MMA record was 4-2. One loss was on UFC: Heavyweights, the other was on UFC 113, where he got KTFO in the second round and got cut the next day.

'Course, other reasons look like he had medical issues (opted out of the semifinals to heal up). He's boxing now, though, with a 7-0 record.

His UFC career, however, was fairly short.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said, it's not that he has no skill, it's the VAST difference IN skill. Equivalent to putting a team of high school football players, up against an NFL team. Sure, they're all "trained", and probably spent a respectable amount of time in that training....but there's still a massive difference made, if by experience, alone.

These guys they're putting him up against, are being shown to have low records. But those are PROFESSIONAL records, negating any amateur fights they already had, before becoming pro. Punk is not getting that chance at amateur status. He is not being given an opportunity to develop, at all.

And as such....he's going to get killed. I'm calling it, here and now.

It will depend on how he's going to be trained. Last I looked, he hasn't been added to a card yet. That gives him more time to get acclimated.

Yes, it won't be the same as having amateur fights in his background, but its not like the dude has zero experience in other areas of combat.

He very much could be a one-and-done guy, per White's admission. No one really knows until he steps in. Besides, it may be possible his first match will be against a guy with a similar lack of experience in the ring (that being Jason David Frank, with a 1-0 record overall). THAT'S what I'm referring to; he may be with guys that may have had, you know, 2 or 3 fights before being signed to UFC and being used to test the waters, to see if they can make it or not.

Once he gets past guys like that? Who knows.

Quote:
Quote:

Because the sheer logic of the situation paints a vivid enough picture...

Dude, if Dana White, the guy who was head over balls nuts over signing Punk, is unsure how he'll do...then there's no picture painted. At this point its a gleam in the eye of the painter.

EDIT: Even Punk thinks he might come up short during his UFC run.

Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.

I'll give him credit for wanting to try it out and doing what he can. Beyond that, I hold no assumptions or speculations.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
In any case, he did an interview on OpieRadio, and he shows off the staph infection scar:

Link to Video

It isn't 100% clear, but it does look like the location of the infection was indeed under the tights, which would make sense given how staph infections work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff