Welcome to Gaia! ::

NekoJunior
I would like to ask for help if you could judge my art and criticized it for me biggrin

Here's the latest art I just finished with.

User Image
Certainly! Give me a while to write up the crit, and I'll quote you again once I'm finished.
NekoJunior
I'd say my favourite part of this piece is how unified the colors are. The one exception to that is the fuzzy end of the fan, where you shaded with blue? When using a single disparate color, it should be as an accent or highlight, but there it detracts from the rest of the picture by dragging the eye back to that corner. Other than that corner, the colors all harmonise very well, though!

I like the style you drew the face in, it's rather cute. The spacing for all of the features is off though. The eye on the right has drifted too far off and both eyes seem like they were drawn for different face angles. The lips ended up really low, while the ear is high. Lips are actually closer to the nose than to your chin, and ears generally reach up to your eyebrows while hanging down to the bottom of your nose, without factoring in head tilt. I like the detail you put into the ear though, I've seen many people who either cover it up or don't bother.
It's hard to appreciate the colors or shading you used for the hair because you covered it up with excess strands. While adding a few sometimes adds a detailed feel, and adding a decent amount makes the hair seem messy or frizzy, the amount you used is excessive. They cover up the main body of the hair and send the eye all over the place. There're multiple instances where strands start in the wrong place (e.g. the clothes) or go in the opposite direction of the hair they're sticking out from (e.g. the top of the ponytail). If you want to keep using extra strands, try to limit it and pay closer attention to the flow of the hair.

Another thing to keep in mind is finger lengths. You drew yours tapered in one direction, but generally the middle finger is much longer than the others and the pinkie is noticeably smaller. Also, long, thin necks tend to make shoulders seem broader, so yours might look better if you make the neck shorter/wider or draw narrower shoulders. That might be my preference, though.
I'd say the most distracting part of the piece is how all of the elements seem to be pointing in different directions. For instance, the fan and the collar match up well, but spreading the tassels from her headgear in multiple directions acts as a distracting element. If you unified the directions of the hair and tassels, possibly by employing a line of action, they'd detract less from the focus of the piece. If I'm not mistaken about the type of headgear she's wearing, some of the tassels should be behind her, which would help in lessening their obstructing factor.

Overall, it's cute, but looks unintentionally and unnecessarily chaotic. If you work on unifying it a bit more and tighten your facial proportions, it'll look much nicer.
LettuceJamming

Thank you so much biggrin now I know my errors were.
Glad I could be of assistance!
I'm chatting with my pinay friend right now but I'll definitely respond if someone's looking for a crit!

Inquisitive Entrepreneur

9,125 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
hey again, just saw your comment and its ok, plus I'm sorry too for the late reply, i had work. sweatdrop

but here's a recent picture I've done. I haven't drawn cartoonish stuff in a while.

User Image
Hyatt Hyacinth
hey again, just saw your comment and its ok, plus I'm sorry too for the late reply, i had work. sweatdrop

but here's a recent picture I've done. I haven't drawn cartoonish stuff in a while.
No problem! I'll get on it right away. I'll make sure to quote you again when the crit is done.

Inquisitive Entrepreneur

9,125 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
alrighty and thank you so much for taking the time to critique me biggrin

Big Bum

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I am really jazzed about this right now.
Would you mind poking around my dA and telling me what you think? surprised
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hyatt Hyacinth
alrighty and thank you so much for taking the time to critique me biggrin
First off, it's cool to be doing a crit of trad work. I haven't had the self-confidence to do much colored trad work lately, when it feels safer to do color digitally. You used pen and marker for this, correct? Your pen lines are very clean for the most part, though your economy of line falls apart in some places in the hair and you overlap a bit in the bodice (? I'm bad at women's fashion so that might not be the right name...) area.
I like the way you chose to show the ends of the hair, it makes it appear fringe-y without looking too messy. Though the colors in the hair are nice, I wish you'd shaded it, the collar and the cuffs like you had the rest of the piece, to give them more volume. For the shading on the rest of the piece, the subtle values are nice, and you have a consistent light source, but the amount shaded makes parts of it feel a little flat. Notice how much of the arms you have shaded in--the same width is how much you shaded the dress. since the dress is wider though, it makes it appear as though the light is hitting it head-on instead of from the upper-right, which is how your skin shading makes it appear.

The detail you put into her dress is nice, but the texture comes off differently from how I think you intended it to look. For a frilly look, you have to draw the edge of the folds, where they dip down into the next frill. For examples of what I'm talking about, check out the frills on these two dresses from the first two results for a google image search of frills. Drawing only the outside border without the inner folds gives it a different look.
In terms of the form of the dress itself, it seems very disjointed. Try drawing the way the form of the dress would look first, and then add the details and decorations on afterward (if you're jumping straight to inking, I recommend sketching it out in pencil before inking in the final lines).

Your proportions are pretty good, but the anatomy itself is off. For instance, your arms are nice and shapely, but they don't seem to have a bone structure underneath them. If you draw a straight line from the middle of the elbow towards where the arm is pointing from that point, you don't end up at the middle of the wrist, for example. That is a problem with both arms. Your shoulders also seem a bit sharp; shoulders generally have very organic looking slopes to them.
The most attention-grabbing figure issue is the breasts. People might judge me for saying this, but well drawn breasts make a big difference in art. I won't go on a long breast tutorial rant here, but I will say that it helps IMMENSELY to look at actual breasts (or pictures of them) to see how they behave when pushed or held in different ways.

Your face could look a little better (i.e. nose lower, lips higher, eyes more even), but the last few tips I'm going to leave you with are more technical. I love working in pen too, but the best part about it is how evident it makes line weight. By making some parts of your lines thicker or thinner, you can imply value and form in the lines themselves before you even color or shade.
Compositionally, it's very bad to have the corners separated from the rest of the piece. In yours, the dress curves up in such a way that the very corners of the page are cut off from the rest of the piece. It would also look better to not crop off the very edges of the dress. Painful cropping is when you crop just the very edge of something, or cut off something at a joint and is best avoided.
Also, a good thing to remember with trad work is that using free photo editing software to increase contrast/saturation can really help a piece stand out after it's been bleached by a scanner or camera.

Your piece is very cute, and the clean lines are great, but you should work on your shading and anatomy.
Cupcake Hemophilia
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I am really jazzed about this right now.
Would you mind poking around my dA and telling me what you think? surprised
Wow I'm super stoked that you're so jazzed about this! I love helping people out.
I realise my first crit was of a person's dA gallery, but as I was doing it I found out that dA really, really slows down my computer. If it's not too much trouble, could you link me to specific images (the images, not the deviation pages) that you'd want me to crit for you? Otherwise it makes even just typing the crit up for you a slog ;;

Big Bum

LettuceJamming
Wow I'm super stoked that you're so jazzed about this! I love helping people out.
I realise my first crit was of a person's dA gallery, but as I was doing it I found out that dA really, really slows down my computer. If it's not too much trouble, could you link me to specific images (the images, not the deviation pages) that you'd want me to crit for you? Otherwise it makes even just typing the crit up for you a slog ;;

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Oh no problem! Maybe these, then?
You don't have to do all of them is you don't feel up to it, too. 4laugh
Cupcake Hemophilia
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Oh no problem! Maybe these, then?
You don't have to do all of them is you don't feel up to it, too. 4laugh
Oh, it's no problem. Since it's three, it'll be more of a general critique, though.
The only thing is, I'm going to sleep soon, so I'll be writing and posting it after I get up, if that's all right with you.

Big Bum

LettuceJamming
Oh, it's no problem. Since it's three, it'll be more of a general critique, though.
The only thing is, I'm going to sleep soon, so I'll be writing and posting it after I get up, if that's all right with you.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. That's totally fine! I can't wait for your input! smile User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Inquisitive Entrepreneur

9,125 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Why thanks and its cool getting a critique for it as well ^^. Yea I used to do digital too but i kinda done less of it over the years due not having the time & patience to do so. also because i started to lose my painterly hand with traditional stuff before. back to the pic I see what you mean about the frills in the dress but i'm not sure on how to approach it, would I establish the lines in both the dress & frills when I ink the piece? or when I go color & shade it?

Anatomy & ink lines have always been a problem for me... sweatdrop the reason why is because when it comes to inking i have a terribly heavy hand and it seems like no matter how hard I try to lighten my hand my lines still come out bold & heavy. With the anatomy I've had problems with it too, and I've read books, taken classes, & multiple sketches but it seems like no matter what I do my anatomy is still not up to par. Also you mentioned the anatomy of breasts too, which kinda caught me by surprise because I never heard of that before & and i thank for that too. (as odd as it may seem) but I guess in a nutshell my second question is how I gain a better understanding of anatomy?

With the cropping that wasn't done intentionally, I just didn't have enough space on the paper and i didn't want to squish a full figure into the pic.

by the way I was wondering what kind of artist you were and your level of training? (like are you college art student or art professor or something?) because your critiques are really good and professional. (just like your artwork biggrin )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff