Welcome to Gaia! ::

Social Classes

The Speaker of Stone

The Ruler of Llywdbeinn, called the Speaker of Stone, always wears a mask; some say that it is to hide scars that were given to him by one of the Touched long ago, in his youth. Others say it is to hide how close or far he is from the end of his years, as the highest of the Nobles live for generations beyond the common classes. Some even whisper that he is immortal, Touched by the elder gods without becoming one of the Touched himself. Whatever the case, he has ruled the city for as long as anyone can remember. A wise man and a benevolent leader, protecting the city from the twisted creatures who live in the great beyond from behind the purity of an ivory mask.

Noble class

While there are many ranks of noble from the unmasked lower lords to the high lords from old and ancestral families who wear masks to denote their status, they all share one thing in common: wealth.

Lower nobles are often property owners, employing the middle and lower classes, providing shelter, houses, and shops. They sometimes teach their children the higher arts such as instruments, or even illuminated writing. While these are trades of luxury they are still an important part of furthering the society. Written histories and oral traditions are most strongly rooted in the noble classes, Far less fluid by nature than the folk songs they will put on yearly shows of 'high art' plays to tell the history of the city, the king, and even the great hunts to warn people of the dangers of the forest.

Mask wearing nobles come from the oldest houses. They live some of the longest lives in the city and are the boldest about chasing after The Marwyn in the Blackwood. It's their bravery that keeps the enormous cat-like-beasts from taking to the city for easier prey.

The Swords

The Swords are peacekeepers, those who have proven their worth in tourneys or acts of valor [or, sometimes, through coin] and have been chosen to serve. Their job is to keep the peace in Llywdbeinn -- both to handle those who have committed crimes and to prevent their occurrence. Sometimes they are called upon to settle debates between young nobles, or the common people. They are judge and jury when it comes to determining sentencing, answerable only to the Speaker -- and the Blackwood.

This is one of the few occupations in which women are equal to men, and there is little or no bias against them. If she is capable with sword or bow, can hold her own in a fight, and proves to have intelligence, a woman will be easily accepted into the ranks of the Swords.

Hunters

Hunters are a strange combination -- both revered, respected, but also considered outsiders and shunned. These are the people who dare the forest, skirting close to the edge, and sometimes even within the darkest parts where spirits are said to live. They bring back that which cannot be tamed -- wild animals, meat and pelts and furs, strange plants that can’t be found in the caves. Frequently, their regular exposure to the unnatural marks them in subtle ways. Marks appear on their skin, or their eyes lighten and change. They are gladly given shelter, but people cross their fingers hoping that the Hunters won’t stay too long.

Here, as with Swords, women are more than welcome...as are the Touched, those who have been possessed by the spirits, because where else are they to go?

Artisan class

The “artisan” class is made up of people who make things -- useful things. It includes blacksmiths and weaponsmiths, stone masons and carpenters, clothiers and chefs. It also includes some people run businesses: pubs, shops, restaurants, brothels. These are people below the noble class, as nobles would never deign to actually work, unless you count their learning and politics, but still wealthy enough to have leisure time and fine things.

Working class

The working class holds a wide range of peoples, marked usually by one thing -- they work hard, all day, most days. This means farmers and ranchers, largely, people who tend crops in the caves or deal with those animals that can be domesticated. It also means people who work for others, like shopgirls or pub workers, street cleaners. The small jobs that require a lot of grit, and that few want to do.

Indentured Servants

Indentured servants most frequently belong to the noble households, working in the great stone houses as cooks and cleaners, valets and maids. As you can sell someone’s servitude away, those who have been convicted of lesser crimes almost always end up under a noble’s care, and the entire servant class is made up of indentured servants.

The Touched

Those who have been taken over by spirits and changed, left with glowing eyes and strange powers, are called the Touched -- and are universally ostracized, sometimes even being driven into the forest. As such, most of the Touched do all they can to keep their abilities secret, to hide their strange deformities, and to live normal lives.

Those who can’t hide have very few options. The luckiest are those who get sponsored by a family member, a mentor, or a craftsman who then becomes their keeper, allowing them to continue working as a ‘lesser’, unable to own property, marry, or have children. Some join the ranks of the Hunters, no longer as afraid of the forest as they once were. Many end up begging in the streets until they are driven to madness or into the trees.

It’s said, in whispers, that there is also a hidden civilization in the woods, where only the Touched can find their way. But it’s never been confirmed...

Noraboo's Spouse

Ruthless Nerd

20,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
Woo, more info??!?!?!

There's one more batch to drop, I forgot about it. But this might help people with vague character concepts? Though I should say that nobles + swords will be closed at open, for a while.

Kawaii Prophet

Ooooh! Fabulous info drop thar... * u*a

Fashionable Rabbit

Commence stalking of this shop.

hybridic's Bae

Magical Girl

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, man. Now I have questions for you, blue. xD

Noraboo's Spouse

Ruthless Nerd

20,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
the last bit talks about religion & magic. XD though all of this is, mm, 'framework'. Part of what we want to do here is to get active folks to contribute more to culture, to civilization, animals or whatever, so we're going to put a system in place for that. (:

Cuddly Hunter

Totes huntering it up. Just call me Katniss.

Or don't. UP TO YOU.

Noraboo's Spouse

Ruthless Nerd

20,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
We're going to open hunters from the beginning but we might close them up again if that's all people go for. XD Because it'd be fun to play other s**t too! people in noble households or what have you.

Stubborn Strategist

Obsessive Shapeshifter

OHGOD more info /diesss

I -- I want an illuminator now. o3o So badly. Ohmannn.

I think Lytka's mom will have been working class and Lytka will maybe have taken up hunting. Then she can wander around a lot but still come into the city to sell her goods.

HIDDEN CIVILIZATION IN THE WOODS

GODDAMN THIS IS SO AMAZING

Kawaii Prophet

Hunter and Guard are what I may try for. XD I like the way that gender doesn't matter as much to them. *ponders*

Time-traveling Zealot

Hey blue! I have a question...you mentioned mummers and performers in one of the info posts, what social class would someone like that be in? =O

hybridic's Bae

Magical Girl

Is it possible to start as one thing and through RP evolve into something else? :O

Hallowed Hunter

I want one hunter >> After that I'll explore other classes *_*

Noraboo's Spouse

Ruthless Nerd

20,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
Orangeish Sherbert
Hey blue! I have a question...you mentioned mummers and performers in one of the info posts, what social class would someone like that be in? =O

Honestly, it's not so rigid once you're below Nobles, so I guess it'd depend how you were born? I mean, we're not going to be ridic strict. If you can make it work, it works. If, after we open up nobles, you want to do a crazy jackass who likes to play mummer, that'd be fine. Mostly, though, I'd guess that those sorts would either be artisans or working class, depending on the type of performance.

High end singers, serious actors, etc -- Artisan.
Jugglers on street corners -- Working class.

phoenix kiss
Is it possible to start as one thing and through RP evolve into something else? :O

Some of them. XD Probably not so much noble -- though, even in the real world, if you did something amazing in war or something you could earn a noble title. Working class people might get an apprenticeship and move up; go from working the bellows to actually making the swords to owning the shop, etc, etc.

This is more flavor/world than 'SYSTEM OF RULES' if you know what I mean? Like, even in the real world, if I said 'middle class', that has a flexibility in it. (:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff