Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
I wouldn't want any creature confined to a small space where they barely have room to turn around... But for the space available in my room the spheres they have are ample for swim and exploration of the gravel and plants and trinkets.
That's good to know. ^_^

Though the next time a person (who has not kept betta before) asks, may I kindly ask that you be more specific. We should be careful with information since it might give the wrong impression that those tiny barracks are okay, when they shouldn't be. In my opinion, the only time those barracks are (remotely) useful is when emergency quarantine is needed for several bettas/ 'air-breathers' in a community tank.

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
I don't see how speaking from my own keeping experiences isn't being 'specific'. In -my- experiences, bettas living in the half-gallon cubes did wonderfully when they were cared for properly. Not everybody can afford or house ideal tanks, but that doesn't mean they can't have a happy healthy fish. It just takes dedication and vigilance. confused

I suppose on that note I'll just fall into hardcore lurk mode so I don't give any misleading information on live bettas and hang around until the shop is ready to roll so I can play in the b/c.
My first betta was kept in a one-gallon and he did okay too.

When I say you weren't being specific, its because you mentioned 'little rectangle betta boxes' without saying what volume they were. Less than 0.5 gallon containers are commonly marketed for bettas even though the rough guideline is that for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. An adult betta can reach 2.5 inches (a 'giant' betta will grow to 4 inches), that's why 2-3 gallons is generally recommended by betta enthusiasts as bare minimum, especially for beginners. The storekeepers, if they are particularly ignorant or money-grabbing, will tell beginners that the fish doesn't need much space and has a short lifespan anyway, only because they hope to bring a fast-turnover rate that's better for their business.

Just because you've kept many before, doesn't mean that a newcomer to the fishkeeping hobby has the same knowledge to treat emergency situations or understand all the ions and solutes that are needed/ harmful in the water if a hiccup happens. Expert breeders can and will keep dozens of bettas in smaller tanks, but that is not what should be recommended to someone who hasn't kept fish before/ or in a long long time.

It is not my intention to insist that bettas can never be kept in something less than 2-3 gallons. I'm just saying that for the sake of a newbie, we should always give the ideal conditions first before looking to compromises. It doesn't have to be luxurious, but it is my opinion that it should at least allow a betta to live a week without water changes in case of emergencies/ hospital visits et cetera, without severely compromising the health of the gills and the kidneys.

On a side note, I'm not sure what kind of bottled water you use for water changes, nor how much you change at one go, or whether you mixed the bottle water with tap water... I don't even know the brand of the distilled water since bottled water will have varying levels of mineral content (or lack thereof). I'm just saying that distilled water is generally frowned upon because it doesn't have the proper minerals required for a betta to maintain internal homeostasis. The same concept of 'too pure' water causing salts and minerals to diffuse out of the body cells is also the same reason why most living things, including humans, should not drink 'pure water' or distilled water for long periods of time. Bottled spring water should be fine though, again depending on its mineral contents since it varies as well. Using distilled water over a long period can result in mineral deficiencies.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Cutest image I've seen this month. Here a male Betta channoides is using his a**l fin to catch the egg from the female.

Shirtless Receiver

Hey guys, this is fine, everyone has their own opinions. smile Of course, we should be respectful of everyone's input, that said. Some people choose to address the betta housing issue one way, some choose another. Either way, I implore you not to hide or decide not to express your views because someone disagrees with you.

I am neither ambivalent/slacking nor an extremist - not to imply anyone here is, I am just pointing out there there can be some very strong arguments (or lack thereof) either way. I -personally- think there is nothing wrong with a 1gal starter tank with frequent water changes... anything less than that is going to be uncomfortable for your betta. I also suggest a heated, filtered, tank treated with stress coat. I am actually not one of those who believe that a tank should be cycled weeks prior to a betta's arrival, but I do believe in a certain amount of cycling and an "adjusting" period. As you guys can see, I am fairly middle ground here, and I can understand each argument.

Gaz, you champion a very healthy, happy lifestyle for your fish. Dr, you provide a far better home for a betta than a filthy yellow cup of waste and ammonia that a betta would otherwise have to live in (and perhaps die in) for some time. You perhaps do not offer a luxurious life for your pet, but I would not consider it abuse either. Just inconvenient. I understand money and space issues as well, thus I only have my two 2.5 gals. Would I give my boys a 5-10g each if I could? Oh, yes! I would love that, and when anyone, (I am speaking to ANYONE) gets the opportunity, take it! It can be exceedingly rewarding to have such a fine home for your pet.

Just my two cents. smile

Wind-up Waffles

It took me a moment to figure out what was going on in that picture. But it really is sweet! I didn't realize they were so gentle (though attentive yes) with their eggs!

What is stress coat?

Shirtless Receiver

A particular kind of water conditioner. (:

... I can't wrap my mind around that picture. xd
I used to ignore cycling until I saw the museum curator really leave the tanks of water to sit around for weeks (and he brings in wild, hardy peat swamp fish!). Its mostly to do with the nitrogen cycle graph.

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Since this is really dependent on bacteria population growth in the water and on the surfaces of a new tank, I am more inclined to wait out the ~40 days for nitrogen and nitrite concentrations to drop to zero, than to put my fish in after two weeks and let it ride out the spikes of chemical imbalances. The alternative would be to change larger volumes of water regularly, which then defeats the point of cycling water. Cycling a tank properly can really help reduce maintenance while giving a stable environment for the fish. We currently have a marine tank with no filter, just an air hose in and a LOT of (dead) corals which are currently growing brown algae. The corals just provide a ton of surfaces for beneficial bacteria/ algae/ microbes.

Haha its the breeding 'embrace'. There a series of pictures on the site I linked to the genus-species name. Female passing eggs to male et cetera.

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
Leef: My decision to abstain from the housing topic wasn't because my method was disagreed with - It was the way the disagreement was brought out. Sure, I may be a little overly sensitive after an excruciatingly long work week that I'm only 5/6 days through, but I have to admit that I didn't appreciate feeling like I was being looked down apon for the tank size I've chosen for my betta or judged unworthy of caring for said fish because of the sudden death I experienced. I'll go ahead and point out that my return trip to the store showed that nearly -all- of the bettas that had been there Saturday night when I collected mine were still there. And more than half of those were also dead in their cups. I may not have had a betta for over three years now, but I'm not completely in the dark in caring for them. Regardless of tank size.

-falls back into the shadows-
I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to sound harsh, I was just trying to make an analogy. Like I've said, I've also kept bettas in small tanks in the past and all experienced betta breeders do the same simply due to lack of space. What I don't agree with is giving a newly interested person who has no clue what tank to buy, or how to condition water, the kind of advice which should be reserved for more experienced fish keepers. You are clearly experienced so you do know that smaller tank necessitates more regular water changes and how to minimize the stress. A new person may not know or may not understand the science behind water changes to begin with.

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
Well, it came off as very harsh to me and made it seem like you feel superior in the ability to offer help to somebody who's new to having a betta. So I'll just let you give whatever advice you have and keep to the b/c aspect of the shop.

But I will share that Raziel's happy in his space already and is starting to line his sphere with bubbles.

Wind-up Waffles

I'm glad Raziel II is so happy. ^_^ <3

So I was looking at this site to determine what kind of betta I used to have. And I wanted to see if anyone here could confirm or clarify... Fin type had me confused. Most of the photos I find show so much fin that I can't really tell what I'm looking at. But I think he was a veil tail. According to that site, he must be piebald because of his face, there are more than just one or two colors, thinking multicolored? (he reminds me of koi)

Pictures that might help:
[x] [x] [x]

That metallic blue sheen is not a trick of the light. And there is both white and transparent areas on fins.

Ah, I miss Skeletor. Such a sweet, friendly fish (unlike his namesake, lol). He'd come up to greet me even at the store. :3
Melomar

Pictures that might help:
[x] [x] [x]

That metallic blue sheen is not a trick of the light. And there is both white and transparent areas on fins.

Ah, I miss Skeletor. Such a sweet, friendly fish (unlike his namesake, lol). He'd come up to greet me even at the store. :3

Looks like a Dragonscale vailtail. Dragonscales are they only type that isn't a fin type oyo it refers to the large visible scales, and i believe they always/usually have a metallic sheen. My boy is a Dragon scale as well. (i think his fintype is plaket) Types refers to how their tails look, so im not entirely sure if dragon scale is a type xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff