Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Hunter

I guess for me personally, if you are going to educate people about bettas it would help if the art was anatomically correct. Betta fish are really interesting in their form and have some unique traits that make them stand out from other fish. But again I can be overly picky sometimes so take my critiques with a grain of salt.

Of course it's ultimately up to the owners what they want the art to look like.
For me I don't mind some artistic stylization because it gives personality (eg. mouth not fully lined, angry eye expression). But I'm a bit concerned when it comes to basic anatomy of finnage because that's one of the major ways to detect fish illnesses, since they are delicate membranes. This is just an example, but to me an equivalent would be drawing a puppy with a docked tail and advocating animal welfare.
I can understand wanting to make sure it's all okay. (You should see me foam at the mouth at the anatomy of many of the rabbit B/C pets or familiars out there. Rabbits being "my" animal. So I totally get it.)
However, tweaks to the sketches or lines do of course come down to leef. ;]

Also is it bad that now I want to see a shop with sad puppies that grow into totally happy-tastic adults? Although puppies with docked tails are different. It's not indicative of a health issue, it's indicative of animal cruelty. >.> Justsayin.

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
I love the art style. I don't think the style of the art has anything to do with the message about the animals. Art is so varying and wonderful like that. surprised

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
Soooo... >>;;

Despite the excruciatingly limited space I have to occupy... I wandered past the bettas in Wal*Mart tonight while picking up kittle foods and saw a feesh I couldn't pull myself away from. -cough-

Thusly, I'm happy to introduce you to Raziel! <3

Dangerous Hunter

He's pretty Meegs.

I've been avoiding the fish store because I know if I go in I wont come out alone. Still need to refurbish my two tanks.
What a handsome red! That tear in the fin will probably heal soon now that he's in proper care biggrin

Geniegirlly's Waifu

Space Pumpkin

24,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
Thankies Laro! I tried really hard to remind myself that someone with more room could come swoop him up and love him better but as I looked him over in his cramped little cup there were just so many things about him that I really loved. 4laugh

Thankies Gaz! 8D And he's a feisty little thing so hopefully he doesn't tear his fins more on the little plastic plants I bought. I tried to buy the softest ones I could find (had to go with plastic because it seemed like a more logical decision with such a small (half gallon) tank) but I fret. XD! He's damn beautimous though. <3<3

My sister got a bluey purple crowntail as well, but she hasn't named him yet. They're already much happier I can tell, they're not so droopy. <3
Grats meegs~ He's a pretty boy x3

When we went to get more items for Iridescents tank i had to tear my self away because they put the bigger/older bettas on the shelves next to the tank stuff and there where a few gorgeous ones i wanted. One was sorta orangeish and there was a purpleish color x3

Conservative Consumer

I'm thinking of getting a betta, but I'm kinda afraid. And confused with what to buy. xD

Shirtless Receiver

Can I maybe help you, Cyanide? O:

And might I say, I love that this B/C IT is already inspiring people to rescue bettas of their own. That just make so happy. <3

Conservative Consumer

Thanks for the offer, Spottedleef! <3
Really, I don't know what to buy, like tank sizes and all. Plus stuff like filters and heaters.
I've read places that betta prefer little small containers, though I'm not about to believe that. I've also read that betta shouldn't be kept in any tank smaller than 10 gallons. The only issue with that is if I don't have to, I'd rather not have a 10 gallon tank due to limited space.
Plus when I do buy a tank, I don't know how to make the water okay for future fishy.
And then, how to pick out a fish. D;
I've never owned a fish, except for a vague memory of having a gold fish I won at the school fair when I was like six. I'm afraid of screwing this up.
It's usually suggested to get them a 5 gallon tank but a 2.5 is the minimum. My Betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank x3

It's really confusing at first xD I tried to get everything Kao, the other owner said she used for her betta's on tumbler. (she had links to them xD) But food wise as long as it has meat and fish and stuff and it's not just gluten and plants it should be good for the bettas x3

which reminds me i need to remember to call them about the heater, they sent me the wrong ones :<

I think the only tumblers i actually check are Kao's and Leefs ones about bettas xD

edit: also how rare is it for the edges of a betta's fins to be see though? ouo I know that Alastar's are white/see trough

Wind-up Waffles

My betta had areas that were see-through. But he had white markings too, so I'm not sure. owo <3
Um... this seems like a good place to start.

Tank Size
I would agree that 2.5 gallon is a good starter. If you are short of space and can only fit a one gallon somewhere, be prepared to take the time to dechlorinate tap water and do water changes every week.

Betta Type
If this is your first time keeping a betta, its advised to start with a veil-tail or plakat if possible, those tend to be hardier and better for beginners.

Needed Basic Equipment

Tank
Filter + air pump (to be honest, I have kept bettas without a filter or air pump, but its good to get if you can find pre-packaged tank + filter kits)
Heater (if you're not in the tropics)
Water conditioner / dechlorinator
Betta food
Dried blood worms

Advised accessories
Gravel (not more than 0.5 cm thick if you're using fine sand. Anything thicker risks anaerobic activity)
Plastic plants without sharp edges
Nitrogen test kit
Nitrite test kit

Keep in mind that if you do decide to get a fish, you'll need to buy the tank and equipment first and 'cycle' the tank. Cycling takes 4-6 weeks thereabouts, so you'll have to get your fish 1 to 2 months later. If you want to buy all the stuff at one go, be prepared to keep your fish aside in a smaller bowl and do near-daily water changes until the tank is properly cycled.

Cycling a new tank

I normally buy all the stuff at one go (or rather, already have it lying around).

While waiting for the tank to cycle, I do regular (2-3 days) water changes to the rescued fish. However, instead of dumping the fish's waste water away down the sink, I put it into the cycled tank! This gives my cycling tank the regular waste nutrients produced by my fish (for bacteria to om nom nom) without the risk of damage to the fish's delicate gills when the peak in toxic nitrogen/ nitrite occurs.
4-6 weeks later, when the cycling is complete, I introduce my fish to the tank.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff