Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
pockybot
Whenever I see documentaries on Cuba or the Dominican Republic, at least half the people look black and the other half what you'd think of as Latino. Yet they don't say "African Cuban" or "African Dominican". They're all Cubans. Or all Dominicans.
Whoa, dude just used the Caribbean as an example of racial homogeneity. I think I'm gettin' vertigo up in here.

Y'all know why that makes no kind of sense, right? Colonialism, slavery, indenture? The mass importation of a labor force from diverse ethnic heritages to produce valuable sugar, molasses and rum? Triangle trade?

When speaking of the DR and Haiti in particular there are sharp divisions, on account of Hispaniola pretty much apartheided. Though that's more DR mulattos and Haitian blacks.
Wendigo
pockybot
Whenever I see documentaries on Cuba or the Dominican Republic, at least half the people look black and the other half what you'd think of as Latino. Yet they don't say "African Cuban" or "African Dominican". They're all Cubans. Or all Dominicans.
Whoa, dude just used the Caribbean as an example of racial homogeneity. I think I'm gettin' vertigo up in here.

Y'all know why that makes no kind of sense, right? Colonialism, slavery, indenture? The mass importation of a labor force from diverse ethnic heritages to produce valuable sugar, molasses and rum? Triangle trade?

When speaking of the DR and Haiti in particular there are sharp divisions, on account of Hispaniola pretty much apartheided. Though that's more DR mulattos and Haitian blacks.

All I know is Dominican girls, whatever their full heritage is, are some of the hottest women on the planet in my book
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Carnival_002_4412.JPG/800px-Carnival_002_4412.JPG

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff