Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Chains4w
That leads me to assume that Martin was shot in the chest. It also leads me to speculate other things, like that maybe some of that blood from Zimmerman's head ended up on Martin's hands.
Unlikely. His head wasn't so much gushing blood as trickling, and if I had to guess, the injury in question was not inflicted by fists to the back of Zimmerman's head. Could have resulted from a collision with the sidewalk, given the scuffle the witnesses reported.

Quote:
That leads me to assume that Martin was shot in the chest.
Wouldn't take much, but that would basically only mean they were facing each other at the time of the shooting. You can shoot somebody in the chest without justification as easily in the back, it's just not as immediately obvious.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
pockybot
Klan picture? lol. Zimmerman is clearly hispanic. He doesnt look white at all to me.

White is a race, Hispanic is an ethnicity. They're separate on the US census. Hence, white Hispanics.

Conservative Raider

Less Than Liz
pockybot
Klan picture? lol. Zimmerman is clearly hispanic. He doesnt look white at all to me.

White is a race, Hispanic is an ethnicity. They're separate on the US census. Hence, white Hispanics.

He's as white as Obama is, which I believe was Pocky's point.
Kasumi of Vientown

This is also where Glenn Beck is talking about the reality of the Trayvon Martin case

Again, I could not agree more with Beck in that video ya just linked. 1000% on the money in my book. But yeah I think his personality at times is a bit...much. I cant stand Olbermann for similar reasons. The media is trying to create a tinderbox race war type mentality going on

I thought Beck did an amazing documentary exposing the real horror of communist governments in the 20th century that was must see tv
I dont know what it is, but ever since moving away from Fox, Glenn Beck seems completely different. He's no longer going off about goofy communist conspiracies and foolish drivel.

He seems poised, focused like a laser, his whole demeanor has changed.

Just saw his new program, was quite moved by it. He opens the program talking about a white guy brutally beaten almost to death by 20 angry black people for no reason. In another recent case a 19 year old white kid walking home had his brains almost bashed out of his skull by a couple of black guys wanting 'justice for trayvon'. And in the most wtf case, recently a white teen was followed, and on his doorstep he was attacked, completely doused with gasoline and set ablaze in a giant ball of fire. His life is pretty much over.

But you wont hear the media talking about this.

this is stuff happened to a black kid from white people, thered be race riots going on

I dont want to say Im officially a fan, but I am definitely surprised and even a bit moved by Glenn Beck lately. While I still tune into Maddow and other MSNBC for their LGBT rights and coverage of some foreign affairs stuff, noone in the media is as spot or more sensible on the Trayvon/Zimmerman issue and the climate of America I feel than Beck. And yeah its weird for me to even type that

Mega Noob

pockybot

s**t, is that a Guy Fawkes mask at 00:10 neutral

Right in the intro, good job as always Beck.

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
pockybot
Kasumi of Vientown

This is also where Glenn Beck is talking about the reality of the Trayvon Martin case

Again, I could not agree more with Beck in that video ya just linked. 1000% on the money in my book. But yeah I think his personality at times is a bit...much. I cant stand Olbermann for similar reasons. The media is trying to create a tinderbox race war type mentality going on

I thought Beck did an amazing documentary exposing the real horror of communist governments in the 20th century that was must see tv
Olberman just comes across as an arrogant p***k to me, lol

I like how Ann Coulter humiliated that jerk. Olbermann always seems to be getting fired from somewhere.
It bothers me when Olbermann comes off as having this heady ego, as hes often passionately said things I agree with(especially during the Bush era) But unfortunately he does have a massive ego, and he had to now admit that his firing recently was really his fault.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Chains4w
Less Than Liz
pockybot

What Pocky was saying is Zimmerman can't be white because he's "clearly Hispanic," when the two aren't mutually exclusive. It reads easily enough.

Conservative Raider

Less Than Liz
Chains4w
Less Than Liz
pockybot

What Pocky was saying is Zimmerman can't be white because he's "clearly Hispanic," when the two aren't mutually exclusive. It reads easily enough.

I know what he said, Liz. What your nitpick sidestepped was why he said it. That is what I was drawing focus back onto.

The media made it very clear early on that this was white on black crime. Zimmerman is not, however, white. Not by any consistently applied metric that I am aware of. Therefore the attempt to painstakingly portray him as such, to the point of lightening his mugshot on air, is disingenuous race baiting.

That was the focus of Pocky's statement, and it's a valid point. One that you digressed from in your response.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Chains4w
I know what he said, Liz. What your nitpick sidestepped was why he said it. That is what I was drawing focus back onto.

The media made it very clear early on that this was white on black crime. Zimmerman is not, however, white. Not by any consistently applied metric that I am aware of. Therefore the attempt to painstakingly portray him as such, to the point of lightening his mugshot on air, is disingenuous race baiting.

That was the focus of Pocky's statement, and it's a valid point. One that you digressed from in your response.

I think it's stupid for either you or Pocky to assert what Zimmerman is or isn't. I've no idea what he identified himself as on the Census or continues to identify as personally, but Pocky's statement belies the same level of ignorance he accuses the media of having.

It's fair to criticize the media's portrayal of this as "too" black v. white. It wouldn't be the first time news sources have gone out of their way to try to someone in the court of public opinion, and this is equally true on racial grounds (the Duke lacrosse case comes to mind.) That doesn't change the fact that the foundation of his analysis was flawed on the same superficial grounds the media used to reach its own conclusions. He's been shitting in every thread about The Big Bad Media and how it shepherds Sheeple into buying a bizarre "conspiracy" of racially motivated violence (which couldn't possibly be true.) The least he could do learn the difference between race and ethnicity before balking at the categories media outlets used. If he said the sky was blue because cows eat grass, the fact that he got the conclusion right doesn't insulate the reasoning behind it.

Conservative Raider

Less Than Liz
Chains4w

I think it's stupid for either you or Pocky to assert what Zimmerman is or isn't. I've no idea what he identified himself as on the Census or continues to identify as personally, but Pocky's statement belies the same level of ignorance he accuses the media of having.

It's fair to criticize the media's portrayal of this as "too" black v. white. It wouldn't be the first time news sources have gone out of their way to try to someone in the court of public opinion, and this is equally true on racial grounds (the Duke lacrosse case comes to mind.) That doesn't change the fact that the foundation of his analysis was flawed on the same superficial grounds the media used to reach its own conclusions. He's been shitting in every thread about The Big Bad Media and how it shepherds Sheeple into buying a bizarre "conspiracy" of racially motivated violence (which couldn't possibly be true.) The least he could do learn the difference between race and ethnicity before balking at the categories media outlets used. If he said the sky was blue because cows eat grass, the fact that he got the conclusion right doesn't insulate the reasoning behind it.

He's not white Liz. He is most definitely brown. While I understand the finer points of how Caucasian and Hispanic are treated as apples and oranges for comparison, I can with full confidence say that this dude is about as white as Obama is.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
A Polynesian man can call himself Arabic, but it doesn't make it so.

Hey it's not my fault society is like that. If a half black/half hispanic person on the census wanted to simply say he's white, than that is their choice. I mean it's a free society.

Culturally Zimmerman seems white, but he looks Latino. Not that it has any bearing on the trial or the facts of the case. Which is, if Trayvon ran blocks out of his way to brutally attack Zimmerman instead of walking back home, Zimmerman just may in fact felt he was going to die that night.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kind of a frustrating mess we're running into, regarding racial classification. Race is not a particularly solid concept at the best of times; just an arbitrary grouping of traits around what people perceived to be the division of world cultures back before the airplane, and before the discovery of most of the mechanisms of heredity.

In the case of the "Hispanic race," it's even worse, since we're using a language and culture as a shorthand, usually, for Mestizos. I gather that Zimmerman's mother is from Peru, and that he speaks Spanish as well as English. This does qualify him as a Hispanic, in the sense that any such thing exists. But it says nothing, really, about his race. A black guy, for example, could have this family history. There are black people in South America. And Virginia, for that matter.

One of the reasons they let you check whatever box you want on the census.
Wendigo
Kind of a frustrating mess we're running into, regarding racial classification. Race is not a particularly solid concept at the best of times; just an arbitrary grouping of traits around what people perceived to be the division of world cultures back before the airplane, and before the discovery of most of the mechanisms of heredity.

In the case of the "Hispanic race," it's even worse, since we're using a language and culture as a shorthand, usually, for Mestizos. I gather that Zimmerman's mother is from Peru, and that he speaks Spanish was well as English. This does qualify him as a Hispanic, in the sense that any such thing exists. But it says nothing, really, about his race. A black guy, for example, could have this family history. There are black people in South America. And Virginia, for that matter.

One of the reasons they let you check whatever box you want on the census.

Whenever I see documentaries on Cuba or the Dominican Republic, at least half the people look black and the other half what you'd think of as Latino. Yet they don't say "African Cuban" or "African Dominican". They're all Cubans. Or all Dominicans.

I do feel the media from the getgo had an agenda with this story, and it had nothing to do with facts or helping Trayvon's parents get a trial and support. By reporting Zimmerman as white from the very beginning, it set the agenda. Had Zimmerman been your average Floridian black person, this wouldn't even have made the news.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff