Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why is it that the "solutions" offered by gunloons to such problems are invariably this dumb and full of backfire potential?
azulmagia
Why is it that the "solutions" offered by gunloons to such problems are invariably this dumb and full of backfire potential?

Yup. Cause those signs have stopped how many?

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
azulmagia

I'd ban them the s**t out of my cinema.
Noogie
Old Blue Collar Joe
azulmagia

Law abiding citizens see 'no guns allowed' and store their guns in their cars. Nutjobs see 'open range, no bag limit'.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Noogie
Old Blue Collar Joe
azulmagia

Law abiding citizens see 'no guns allowed' and store their guns in their cars. Nutjobs see 'open range, no bag limit'.
If they kill anyone in my cinema with a gun, they're going to get banned so hard. They're going to jail for trespassing.
Noogie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Noogie
Old Blue Collar Joe
azulmagia

If they kill anyone in my cinema with a gun, they're going to get banned so hard. They're going to jail for trespassing.

The thought of such must send chills of terror up their spines!!
Old Blue Collar Joe
azulmagia

Wow. You're so stupid you think finding the flaw in the other guy's argument instantly validates your own.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I'm not against conceal-carry, but I disagree with the notion that all mass shootings could've been stopped. You have to look at a number of factors:

1. First, the odds that someone would've brought a concealed gun to the theater even if allowed.
2. Would this person have been able to react fast enough?
3. Would this person have even been able to do anything? The shooting took place in a movie theater. Dark, and very crowded. Picking the shooter out from there would've been hard enough, but also, people were probably panicking, getting up and running around, when gunshots were being fired. Good luck taking down the shooter in THAT situation!

Omnipresent Warlord

How do you know that someone with a concealed weapon wasn't at the theater where the shooting was at? Because a sign told them not to? Because you assume that someone with a gun would choose to kill a shooter instead of running themselves?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
A shooter like Holmes, who is almost certainly committing "suicide by police," could maybe care less. You're reading rational, informed decision-making into what is at its most basic an irrational act.
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
A shooter like Holmes, who is almost certainly committing "suicide by police," could maybe care less. You're reading rational, informed decision-making into what is at its most basic an irrational act.

Within 20 minutes of his apartment there were numerous theaters, and this wasn't the largest or the closest. It was, however, the only one with a no gun proclamation.
He already exhibited by ordering ammo and other steps a predisposition to planning, and this assumption makes more sense than a 'well, more would have died if someone had actually be able to shoot back'.
No one knows. But as for his target? It definitely indicates he selected it potentially for that reason.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe

Within 20 minutes of his apartment there were numerous theaters, and this wasn't the largest or the closest. It was, however, the only one with a no gun proclamation.
He already exhibited by ordering ammo and other steps a predisposition to planning, and this assumption makes more sense than a 'well, more would have died if someone had actually be able to shoot back'.
No one knows. But as for his target? It definitely indicates he selected it potentially for that reason.
Let's have a look with Google maps, shall we? Coming from Paris Street, Aurora, where his apartment complex was, we have:

Cinemark Century 16, 2.9 miles away.
Cinema Grill, 2.6 miles away.
AMC Arapahoe Crossing 16, 11.8 miles away.
Aurora Movie Tavern, 10 or so miles away.
Southlands Stadium 16, 15-20 miles away.
Blockbuster Express, 5-7 miles away.
Aces's, just over a mile away. (Undoubtedly the closest, he could probably have walked.)

Those are the first 7 results on Google.

Surprise surprise, he went to the first theater listed on Google for Aurora, Colorado.
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe

Let's have a look with Google maps, shall we? Coming from Paris Street, Aurora, where his apartment complex was, we have:

Aces's, just over a mile away. (Undoubtedly the closest, he could probably have walked.)

Surprise surprise, he went to the first theater listed on Google for Aurora, Colorado.

And what evidence is there that he didn't know where they all were to begin with since, well, he happens to live there?

Omnipresent Warlord

Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe

And what evidence is there that he didn't know where they all were to begin with since, well, he happens to live there?

You can't prove a negative. Your assertion is that a mentally ill man carefully researched gun policies of movie theatres and through meticulous research he picked one whose business owners decided wanted a "no concealed gun" policy and had signed informing the patrons and employees of their policy. Then, despite wearing better armor and being better-prepared than some swat teams, he was not expecting anyone to have a weapon because nobody ever breaks the rules at movie theatres and also assumed that no other firearm-wielding criminals would be on the premises either.

To that assertion you have no evidence of any of the assumptions that you are making.

Honestly, if you are at a movie theatre and someone is wearing ******** body armor, throws a gas grenade at the crowd, and then fires into the crowd with a 12 gauge shotgun, a semi-automatic rifle, and finally a Glock 22 handgun, how well do you honestly think any random person would be able to defend against themselves with a concealed weapon? Chances are they would either be so inaccurate that they would have more of a chance of shooting an innocent bystander or get killed by Holmes and give him another gun and more bullets to carry out his massacre.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
I have no way of establishing one way or the other what movie theaters in his area he was aware of before he started planning to shoot people in one. Similarly, you have no way of knowing whether the gun policies of the one he finally chose were even part of his planning process, much less a major factor in it.

I simply offer this information, which I am able to gather using our modern conveniences, regarding possibilities. Cinemark is convenient to his apartment geographically (being one of three theaters within a brisk walk, and we know he drove), and a national chain, unlike the other two. Occam's Razor would suggest this is sufficient reason to choose it over, let's say, Southlands Stadium.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff