Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Have you studied WWII?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 3, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 >

Anyone study it?

Seems like 52% of the country never read about it!
Cha0sl0ki
Anyone study it?

Seems like 52% of the country never read about it!

52%, that's oddly specific. what do you need to know?
Yes, what about it? We don't nead topics random as this in the ED-P so make a point or don't post.

Thanks,
Kiwii
yes i believe most of us on ED have studied ww2 if thats what your asking.. i have a collection of items...
(am a history major speciallizing on WW2)

HOW COULDN'T YOU?!

*cries*
World War 2 is my favorite topic of history how it basically established the USA as one of the last super powers and unlocked European control of much of the world it had laid claims too. But when you learn of how close the Axis were to creating weapons that could have defeated us easily had we not defeated them when we did and the war was dragged on for a few months or a year or 2 things could have been VERY diffrent.
WWII was a fascinating war, truely our best generation fought in that. I hear things that if we waited another six months to invade France, then the outcome would have almost certainly been entirely different. But I'm not quite sure how true that is...
I am discussing wwI right now in History, and we are comparing it to wwII. It's uncanny, you think if we had stayed with the League of Nations and the 14 Points had been enforced, then we would have stayed out of wwII, but no, Germany had this crazy personal vendetta bc they were not represented at the Conference in the Palace of Versailles, which is understandable. But anyways, there's no real point to what I am saying, I just wanted to relay what I have learned so far. I want to be a history major. One of my favorite books is "All Quiet on the Western Front." I am also in Hty of Viet, I love this class more than anything, my teacher is so profound and just an amazing guy, he is my favorite thus far. But yes I shall be coming and going in the thread bc it has sparked my interest.
Bunny--man
WWII was a fascinating war, truely our best generation fought in that. I hear things that if we waited another six months to invade France, then the outcome would have almost certainly been entirely different. But I'm not quite sure how true that is...

Well had Japan not surrendered and the October invasion went as planned our invasion force would have been whiped out by a typhoon giving japan enough time to develope their jets and turn the war against us or able to gain leverage at the diplomacy table instead of complete surrender. As for Germany they to had a very advanced jet fighter project not to mention their own nuclear project which for a while was neck and neck. Good thing hitler was to arrogant and jew hating to develope it fast enough
ThomasFyreClaw
Bunny--man

Well had Japan not surrendered and the October invasion went as planned our invasion force would have been whiped out by a typhoon giving japan enough time to develope their jets and turn the war against us or able to gain leverage at the diplomacy table instead of complete surrender. As for Germany they to had a very advanced jet fighter project not to mention their own nuclear project which for a while was neck and neck. Good thing hitler was to arrogant and jew hating to develope it fast enough
I still shutter at the thought of how close they were to getting weapons that were more advanced then ours...

*shutters*
Bunny--man

The result are pretty simple. Russia would have pushed on passed Berlin taking a good bit of the rest of Europe. How much is debatable, but the war wouldn't have lasted much longer since the turning point in Europe was when the Russians stopped Hitler's advance and then pushed him back with casulties that make America's look like a bruise on the arm.
Lord Fates
Bunny--man

The result are pretty simple. Russia would have pushed on passed Berlin taking a good bit of the rest of Europe. How much is debatable, but the war wouldn't have lasted much longer since the turning point in Europe was when the Russians stopped Hitler's advance and then pushed him back with casulties that make America's look like a bruise on the arm.

Casulties which probebly could have been avoided with better tactics other than brute force sending waves and waves of men until your enemy is out of ammo is not a good stratagy. Hell the only reason Russia was able to take push hitler back was becuase hitler was an idiot and din't prep his troops to deal with the Russian climate. Not to say I support hitler and all But Russia just got lucky that time.
Well personally my fav war would be WW1 not WW2 but i have studied both. i just like WW1 because it was full out with chemical warfare trench warfare..etc
ThomasFyreClaw
Lord Fates
Bunny--man

Casulties which probebly could have been avoided with better tactics other than brute force sending waves and waves of men until your enemy is out of ammo is not a good stratagy. Hell the only reason Russia was able to take push hitler back was becuase hitler was an idiot and din't prep his troops to deal with the Russian climate. Not to say I support hitler and all But Russia just got lucky that time.

As someone who has studied history formally I have to disagree. Russia didn't get lucky, Germany got lucky it was so successful for as long as it was. Germany sewed its own doom by not finishing off Britain first before it attacked Russia.

Never you mind your American history books or your Steven Spielberg movies, World War II was won on the steppes of Russia. More people died in the battle of Stalingard then the US lost in the entire war. That whole front was a sickening bloodbath of which the Holocaust was only the most extreme example. Forty or fifty million people killed altogether. They're still finding mass graves today.

The American stereotype of the European is a kind of sissified art collector who eats chocolates while American marines protect them from Communism. I would say the typical American is a carefree cowboy who hasn't seen war in their own country for more than 100 years, and even in the Civil War really only the South suffered.

Whereas Europeans are very quiet, very refined, but every fifty years or so they undergo orgies of bloodletting so severe and so violent we Americans simply won't understand until the nukes rain down on our heads.
ThomasFyreClaw

No the Russians fought a very skilled war. They used the only possible strategy that could stop the German blitzkrieg with what they had, namely over-extension. Do you know that during the invasion Germany swallow up land leaving enitre Russian divisions behind to come at them from behind. The casulities do not speak of so much of Russian blunders, but just of the sheer ferocity and power of a modern war.

While Hitler was stupid and didn't equip his troops, logistically it couldn't have worked that well anyway. It is important to note the Russia never experinced the Great Depression, the 30s were a period of rapid industrial growth. Russia was simply a massively powerful bear of a country, if slow. Nazi Germany was doomed the moment they broke the non-aggression pact.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff