Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Infamous Unami
As long as they don't introduce gender specific standards, I'm fine with this.

Most women lack the upper body strength to serve adequately in the infantry, but those who aren't lacking should be able to do any job they want.

Also, gonna have to do something about rape. Really quickly.
I love how your first post in a month has the word rape in it
Dostya
God Emperor Akhenaton
HMS Thunder Child
God Emperor Akhenaton
I knew that Starship Troopers would prove to be prophetic.
[Serious]

Heinsight is 20/20.

I have been saying that s**t a long time ago.

]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/politics/hemp/t.58626101/?_gaia_t_=7564

nice editlegit

but the joke is still unfunny and awful

I mean in SST all the women were good for was sexual tension
Brothern

It's not a move to bolster ranks. It's a lift on the ban that prevents women from serving in combat roles.
This is going to do nothing but increase the size of the millitary. Just like allowing "gays" into the millitary did nothing but enlarge the militaries ranks.

armies have historically never cared much for civil rights
Less Than Liz
Rostker v. Goldberg.

Quote:
Congress specifically determined that in wartime, the primary purpose of a draft would be to provide combat troops. “Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them.” He went on to say: “Men and women, because of the combat restrictions on women, are simply not similarly situated for purposes of a draft or registration for a draft.”

Assuming you can find someone with standing to sue, I think you're going to have a lot of trouble rationalizing the Selective Service Act's only targeting men, particularly now that combat positions are opening to women. This is especially true now that gender has become solidified as heightened intermediate scrutiny and slowly inching past that. My money would be on a successful constitutional challenge, but the question is whether Congress would amend it to include women or ditch it altogether. If I were a betting girl, I'd go for the former.
What I'm most surpised about is how heavily debated the subject has been the last thirty years . But now that I think about it....

of course congress is just itching to get women to join men in signing a "you're potentially our slave" contract with the government. It probably allows some sort of spying on you. I mean "draft" is a pretty broad term that even the government has trouble defining

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
khuan
Less Than Liz
khuan
I'd imagine it's because no one actually expects to get drafted. But I'm more than a bit surprised that the MRA crowd hasn't gone after this.

Probably because this is a poor time of year for that. Wait for someone who has to register, refuses, and is then subsequently denied aid. Then he will have suffered the requisite injury. It can't merely be a hypothetical injury.

Good point. Although legally this challenge could have been brought years ago if we took the 14th seriously.

The challenge was brought in the case I quoted. It turned on the issue of combat positions, which is why it would be ripe for challenge again with the lift in the ban.

O.G. Player

11,175 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
Lord Cameron
God yes, hell yes, hell ******** yes.
Women have advantages in combat, small stature and frame makes them ideal snipers, scouts, pilots, tank commanders, gunners etc. America is like the only country seriously fighting in the middle east that doesn't use women combatants.

Sure they have massive disadvantages in hand to hand and the handling of large weapons, whatever. Big guns are just phalic symbols anyways.

There were some very deadly and feared women in the soviet and vietcong militaries.

Never underestimate women (unless they don't have a weapon lol)

The only thing that scares me about this is, why does the Army need to bolster it's ranks so badly...?

I don't really understand the sniper part. This isn't a movie, they aren't in a position where they need to appear very much smaller. Pilots, eh, why build smaller cockpits, we fit just fine. Gunners, eh there's a LOT more room than you think. Tank commanders, yea I can see that.

You sound like an eco-feminist man hater.. Slow your roll there betsy.

I don't really mind women in combat roles, but I recently heard the "shortest player in the NBA" argument. Just because there's a Spudd Webb in the game, doesn't mean I can play basketball.

Just because there is a demand for women in combat, doesn't mean there's a supply. Just because there are a few women WHO CAN AND WILL, doesn't mean there are a lot of women going to do that, and I don't mean the women saying "Well I would If I had the chance." ******** you, do it then, quit your job go enlist, or don't use that argument.
shinigami ryukie
Lord Cameron
God yes, hell yes, hell ******** yes.
Women have advantages in combat, small stature and frame makes them ideal snipers, scouts, pilots, tank commanders, gunners etc. America is like the only country seriously fighting in the middle east that doesn't use women combatants.

Sure they have massive disadvantages in hand to hand and the handling of large weapons, whatever. Big guns are just phalic symbols anyways.

There were some very deadly and feared women in the soviet and vietcong militaries.

Never underestimate women (unless they don't have a weapon lol)

The only thing that scares me about this is, why does the Army need to bolster it's ranks so badly...?

I don't really understand the sniper part. This isn't a movie, they aren't in a position where they need to appear very much smaller. Pilots, eh, why build smaller cockpits, we fit just fine. Gunners, eh there's a LOT more room than you think. Tank commanders, yea I can see that.

You sound like an eco-feminist man hater.. Slow your roll there betsy.

I don't really mind women in combat roles, but I recently heard the "shortest player in the NBA" argument. Just because there's a Spudd Webb in the game, doesn't mean I can play basketball.

Just because there is a demand for women in combat, doesn't mean there's a supply. Just because there are a few women WHO CAN AND WILL, doesn't mean there are a lot of women going to do that, and I don't mean the women saying "Well I would If I had the chance." ******** you, do it then, quit your job go enlist, or don't use that argument.
lol, this isn't a movie, a sniper never does the sniping you are thinking of. Women are already pilots dunkbass, that was just an example.

yeah ******** men and their penises that do nothing but rape and opress. It offends my eco-womanly parts

basket ball sucks

there will be a huge supply say a draft is called.
Tactical Leg Sweep
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.
weight is like the only thing that matters in a fight, you can't be serious

Enduring Regular

Hands to hand military engagements are nothing like what you see on big Hollywood films.

It's about unleashing as much power and aggression as you can, disabling or killing your opponent in seconds.

Timid Gawker

Why the HELL do "advantages" even come in this debate? That's ******** irrelevant. All that is important is that the individual can do their job. That's it.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Women can fight but I don't think it is a good idea to put them into the front line.

Dangerous Genius

4,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Lord Cameron
Tactical Leg Sweep
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.

Thank you.

That's why every fighting organization ever is divided into weight classes. It's why prime Pacquiao would lose to prime Tyson.

Similarly, Corgi vs German shepherd.

Magical Girl

Lord Cameron
Tactical Leg Sweep
[Informative]

Pressure points and dirty fighting isn't exclusive to size ranges.

Unless they've trained to ignore the pain, repeated testicle, kidney, and solar plexus shots will generally down someone. Once they're writhing, anyone with any sort of leg strength can collapse the trachea.

Original Gaian

yea.....won't happen. and if it does. they'll put the ban back on pretty damn quickly.

no offense to women...but there's a REASON our brotherhood is called INFANTRYMAN and not just infantry. when you describe that man he's called an infantrymen. you can't just take woman and slap it on to the end of it.

there are SERIOUS implications to being in the infantry, that even some men can't handle. it's not a simple thing of, "OH WHY CAN'T WE GO OUT AND KILL? WE'RE PEOPLE TOO, WE WANT EQUAL RIGHTS IN THAT FIELD OF LIFE AS WELL", because when it comes down to it, there are several major considerations one must take into account.
HMS Thunder Child
Touching Hair
HMS Thunder Child

I wasn't talking about sexual assault within certain sectors of the armed forces, I was commenting on it being used as a propaganda tool to influence decision making.

Rape is universal it happens to both males and females.
[Annoyed]

Even if it did happen that way, it would still happen less often than it does in the ranks.

Rape in the military is almost invariably done by males, and from some of the more recent stats I read, 25% of the time by a superior. UCMJ needs to nail their asses to the wall. Strip them of all rank, dishonorably discharge them, and permanently blacklist them from holding any government job. Medically discharging victims and letting the perpetrators get off with a reprimand is bullshit.

Real military here. Petty Officer Second Class, US Navy.

The description you just provided of what you'd like to see is a near-mirror of the truth. Stripped in rank? yeah, for your few remaining months in the military waiting in some rake-leaves polish-windows duty until you're administratively discharged. The military's way of making sure you don't get out as the shiny high rank you held when you were charged.

The military takes this VERY seriously.

Sexual assault in the military is only ignored when nobody speaks out. If your superior doesn't make a big deal about it, personnel are told regularly to go higher. Knock on the CO's door if you have to. Personnel who commit sexual assault are discharged, regularly without so much as a courts-martial. They get NJP (Non-judicial punishment, in the Navy we call it Captain's Mast.) if they plead innocence, then it goes to a regular Courts-Martial. There are several ways to make both open and confidential reports of sexual abuse, and every command has a few people who's job is to be the sexual assault advocate. You can't walk through a hallway in a US military facility without seeing a poster with information about sexual assault prevention. They're as common as the security, DUI, and Drug abuse posters.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff