Welcome to Gaia! ::

God Emperor Akhenaton
HMS Thunder Child
God Emperor Akhenaton
I knew that Starship Troopers would prove to be prophetic.
[Serious]

Heinsight is 20/20.

I have been saying that s**t a long time ago.

]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/politics/hemp/t.58626101/?_gaia_t_=7564

nice edit

Magical Girl

God Emperor Akhenaton
HMS Thunder Child
God Emperor Akhenaton
I knew that Starship Troopers would prove to be prophetic.
[Serious]

Heinsight is 20/20.

I have been saying that s**t a long time ago.

[Sad]]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/politics/hemp/t.58626101/?_gaia_t_=7564
[Sad]

You couldn't just let the pun be?
Origin of Wealth
Tactical Leg Sweep
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.
Billy Mitchell is a lady now? So that's what the hot sauce profits are going to.

I'm not sure how to respond to this considering I kind of ruin the joke by pointing out I never said you had to be a woman to not have raw strength.

Anyway though I was talking about the boxer.

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
Tactical Leg Sweep
Origin of Wealth
Tactical Leg Sweep
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.
Billy Mitchell is a lady now? So that's what the hot sauce profits are going to.

I'm not sure how to respond to this considering I kind of ruin the joke by pointing out I never said you had to be a woman to not have raw strength.

Anyway though I was talking about the boxer.
Well, that was a non-sequitur joke in a reference to the King of Pac-Man, which I made instead of making a joke about PacMan Jones (a (ex)football player).
Less Than Liz
Rostker v. Goldberg.

Quote:
Congress specifically determined that in wartime, the primary purpose of a draft would be to provide combat troops. “Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them.” He went on to say: “Men and women, because of the combat restrictions on women, are simply not similarly situated for purposes of a draft or registration for a draft.”

Assuming you can find someone with standing to sue, I think you're going to have a lot of trouble rationalizing the Selective Service Act's only targeting men, particularly now that combat positions are opening to women. This is especially true now that gender has become solidified as heightened intermediate scrutiny and slowly inching past that. My money would be on a successful constitutional challenge, but the question is whether Congress would amend it to include women or ditch it altogether. If I were a betting girl, I'd go for the former.

It would be pretty easy to find someone to sue given that federal financial aid for men is predicated on them being registered for selective service while women do not have to. If I had applied for financial aid and was denied because I hadn't registered for the selective service I could easily file suit under the equal protection clause to either vacate the restriction on registering or the restriction based on gender.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
khuan
Less Than Liz
Rostker v. Goldberg.

Quote:
Congress specifically determined that in wartime, the primary purpose of a draft would be to provide combat troops. “Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them.” He went on to say: “Men and women, because of the combat restrictions on women, are simply not similarly situated for purposes of a draft or registration for a draft.”

Assuming you can find someone with standing to sue, I think you're going to have a lot of trouble rationalizing the Selective Service Act's only targeting men, particularly now that combat positions are opening to women. This is especially true now that gender has become solidified as heightened intermediate scrutiny and slowly inching past that. My money would be on a successful constitutional challenge, but the question is whether Congress would amend it to include women or ditch it altogether. If I were a betting girl, I'd go for the former.

It would be pretty easy to find someone to sue given that federal financial aid for men is predicated on them being registered for selective service while women do not have to. If I had applied for financial aid and was denied because I hadn't registered for the selective service I could easily file suit under the equal protection clause to either vacate the restriction on registering or the restriction based on gender.

I wasn't aware of that, though I should have been since my brother recently went through all of that. That could satisfy the injury portion of justiciability. I wonder if anyone will bother to sue or not.
Less Than Liz
khuan
Less Than Liz
Rostker v. Goldberg.

Quote:

I wasn't aware of that, though I should have been since my brother recently went through all of that. That could satisfy the injury portion of justiciability. I wonder if anyone will bother to sue or not.

I'd imagine it's because no one actually expects to get drafted. But I'm more than a bit surprised that the MRA crowd hasn't gone after this.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
khuan
I'd imagine it's because no one actually expects to get drafted. But I'm more than a bit surprised that the MRA crowd hasn't gone after this.

Probably because this is a poor time of year for that. Wait for someone who has to register, refuses, and is then subsequently denied aid. Then he will have suffered the requisite injury. It can't merely be a hypothetical injury.
Less Than Liz
khuan

Probably because this is a poor time of year for that. Wait for someone who has to register, refuses, and is then subsequently denied aid. Then he will have suffered the requisite injury. It can't merely be a hypothetical injury.

Good point. Although legally this challenge could have been brought years ago if we took the 14th seriously.

Conservative Raider

As long as they don't introduce gender specific standards, I'm fine with this.

Most women lack the upper body strength to serve adequately in the infantry, but those who aren't lacking should be able to do any job they want.

Also, gonna have to do something about rape. Really quickly.

Enduring Regular

It's not a woman's physical strength that is the issue, a typical woman's skeletal structure isn't capable of carrying large loads without risking serious damage.

The U.S. public cry in fear demanding the withdrawal of all their troops when just a few are beheaded and blown up, how do you think they'd react if female combat troops were captured and subjected to sexual assault? Rape is a very powerful propaganda tool.

Magical Girl

Touching Hair
It's not a woman's physical strength that is the issue, a typical woman's skeletal structure isn't capable of carrying large loads without risking serious damage.

The U.S. public cry in fear demanding the withdrawal of all their troops when just a few are beheaded and blown up, how do you think they'd react if female combat troops were captured and subjected to sexual assault? Rape is a very powerful propaganda tool.
[Snide]

If that were the case, rapists in the ranks would actually be dealt with as opposed to giving the victims medical discharges.

Enduring Regular

HMS Thunder Child

I wasn't talking about sexual assault within certain sectors of the armed forces, I was commenting on it being used as a propaganda tool to influence decision making.

Rape is universal it happens to both males and females.

Magical Girl

Touching Hair
HMS Thunder Child

I wasn't talking about sexual assault within certain sectors of the armed forces, I was commenting on it being used as a propaganda tool to influence decision making.

Rape is universal it happens to both males and females.
[Annoyed]

Even if it did happen that way, it would still happen less often than it does in the ranks.

Rape in the military is almost invariably done by males, and from some of the more recent stats I read, 25% of the time by a superior. UCMJ needs to nail their asses to the wall. Strip them of all rank, dishonorably discharge them, and permanently blacklist them from holding any government job. Medically discharging victims and letting the perpetrators get off with a reprimand is bullshit.

Enduring Regular

HMS Thunder Child

Would you be willing to provide a link to those sources?

I'd be willing to bet sexual assaults committed against males are far higher (most probably being unreported) than those committed against females.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff