Welcome to Gaia! ::

God yes, hell yes, hell ******** yes.

First off emotion_dowant

Secondly,

Women have advantages in combat, small stature and frame makes them ideal snipers, scouts, pilots, tank commanders, gunners etc. America is like the only country seriously fighting in the middle east that doesn't use women combatants.

Sure they have massive disadvantages in hand to hand and the handling of large weapons, whatever. Big guns are just phalic symbols anyways.

There were some very deadly and feared women in the soviet and vietcong militaries.

Never underestimate women (unless they don't have a weapon lol)

The only thing that scares me about this is, why does the Army need to bolster it's ranks so badly...?
The old fogies on the conservative blogs are going bananas. It's pissing me off.

Lord Cameron
The only thing that scares me about this is, why does the Army need to bolster it's ranks so badly...?

It's not a move to bolster ranks. It's a lift on the ban that prevents women from serving in combat roles.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Brothern
The old fogies on the conservative blogs are going bananas. It's pissing me off.

Lord Cameron

It's not a move to bolster ranks. It's a lift on the ban that prevents women from serving in combat roles.

In part because a lot of the front line distinctions are becoming nominal, at best, now that you can get blown up in pretty much any capacity.

Besides, it's not as if women are going to be flowing into every possible combat position now. Branches are just freed to reevaluate what women may and may not do when they were previously flat out restricted for these positions.
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Rostker v. Goldberg.

Quote:
Congress specifically determined that in wartime, the primary purpose of a draft would be to provide combat troops. “Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them.” He went on to say: “Men and women, because of the combat restrictions on women, are simply not similarly situated for purposes of a draft or registration for a draft.”

Assuming you can find someone with standing to sue, I think you're going to have a lot of trouble rationalizing the Selective Service Act's only targeting men, particularly now that combat positions are opening to women. This is especially true now that gender has become solidified as heightened intermediate scrutiny and slowly inching past that. My money would be on a successful constitutional challenge, but the question is whether Congress would amend it to include women or ditch it altogether. If I were a betting girl, I'd go for the former.
But, but, they'll have "infections".

Newt Gingrich
If combat means living in a ditch, females have biological problems staying in a ditch for thirty days because they get infections and they don't have upper body strength. I mean, some do, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, men are basically little piglets, you drop them in the ditch, they roll around in it, doesn't matter, you know. These things are very real. On the other hand, if combat means being on an Aegis-class cruiser managing the computer controls for twelve ships and their rockets, a female may be again dramatically better than a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.

(source)

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
azulmagia
But, but, they'll have "infections".

Newt Gingrich
If combat means living in a ditch, females have biological problems staying in a ditch for thirty days because they get infections and they don't have upper body strength. I mean, some do, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, men are basically little piglets, you drop them in the ditch, they roll around in it, doesn't matter, you know. These things are very real. On the other hand, if combat means being on an Aegis-class cruiser managing the computer controls for twelve ships and their rockets, a female may be again dramatically better than a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.

(source)

When I read the giraffe line, I had to check to make sure it wasn't The Onion.

Mega Noob

Is he referring to UTIs? Hardly the most pressing issue unless you're talking trench warfare. When you carry your Vickers from ditch to ditch for weeks, hiding in the pile of blood, excrement and meat that was once your best friend, etc. brb giraffes
They can finally die like the males now. Praise all!
Heimdalr
Is he referring to UTIs? Hardly the most pressing issue unless you're talking trench warfare. When you carry your Vickers from ditch to ditch for weeks, hiding in the pile of blood, excrement and meat that was once your best friend, etc. brb giraffes

No, it's referring to menstruation. Which led to future Senator Al Franken making jokes about Newt having to explain to his pubescent daughter about her first "infection".

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
Tactical Leg Sweep
Why a disadvantage in hand to hand? Raw strength helps, but can be circumvented by skill and ferocity. Ask Pacman.
Billy Mitchell is a lady now? So that's what the hot sauce profits are going to.

Mega Noob

azulmagia
Heimdalr

No, it's referring to menstruation. Which led to future Senator Al Franken making jokes about Newt having to explain to his pubescent daughter about her first "infection".

Hot damn. So it's a case of You Fail Physiology Forever, and/or sporting Levitican understanding of sinful impurity.
I knew that Starship Troopers would prove to be prophetic.

Magical Girl

God Emperor Akhenaton
[Serious]

Heinsight is 20/20.
HMS Thunder Child
God Emperor Akhenaton
[Serious]

Heinsight is 20/20.

I have been saying that s**t a long time ago.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/politics/hemp/t.58626101/?_gaia_t_=7564

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces