Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you a TEA Party member, & if so do you appose or support ACTA?

I'm a TEA Party member who apposes ACTA 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 2 ]
I'm a TEA Party Member who supports ACTA 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I'm NOT a TEA Party member, but I appose ACTA 0.78571428571429 78.6% [ 22 ]
I'm NOT a TEA Party member, but I support ACTA 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 2 ]
What's ACTA & what's the TEA Party? 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 28 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Ferocious Browser

pockybot
@evelle:

Quote:
You don't 'return' this stuff. It's pirated and kept. If someone wants it, then let them buy it and watch it. Get netflix or some other online service that has a contract to rent movies with. But this 'I wansa download s**t for free' crowd are just whining because they don't want to pay for it. The solution is simple. Either pay for it and watch it, don't pay for it and don't watch it, or don't pay for it, pirate it, and, when caught, pay the fine and do the time without bitching since they know what is at stake.

I think the only reason people are still spending money on dinosaur physical media(often dvds or blu rays with no extras) is because they don't know about torrents. In this economy, I cant blame em. Besides most the bands Im into put up their music for free, get money by other means and make art for art sake. I think there is a referendum on the industry as a whole. Sure north american anime died as far as home releases because of downloading...but I think the entire physical media thing is a dinosaur. I used to pay $18-24 for each cd I got ages back, and Im glad those days are long gone

Almost didn't see this at all razz . Quote me or I miss it, I tend to move around forums a whole lot.

I actually like physical ownership emo . I like having the cases with the pretty pictures and booklets and holding the discs in my hand. I like it being MINE. Now, I don't really care if you dl or 500 people do it, personally I usually prefer holding what I own or saving it onto some form of physical existence for my own anxiety about loss.

I must agree at the outrages prices of CDs though. I love the photos and stuff that come with them and the paper and the embossing and whatever else I can't do at home. However, I still feel that they are overpriced and lately it's just easier to get a digi copy and burn a cd at home without the pics :/

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Why don't they protest ACTA?

Because they're a bunch of hypocritical douchebags, that's why.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
N3bu
Old Blue Collar Joe
MistressOfTheShadows
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Because the astroturf benefactors didn't pay anyone to care.
If anything, they support ACTA because from what I heard Hollywood actually is bribing candidates to support ACTA.. logically the TEA Party wants to support whoever gives them the most money because of being greedy bastards if they won't even talk about ACTA..

What is the problem with protecting intellectual property from people who decide "I'd really like to see X, but I am not interested in paying for it'.
Not one person has given even a remotely decent answer to this.

How about the lack of competition?

"Since I'm, the only person legally allowed to sell this movie, I'll charge $20 on a disc that cost me 5c to produce!"

It's a little more convoluted then that, but the truth is the same, copy-write laws have allowed the media industry to remain uncompetitive in the face of changing technology and ignore consumer demands. The minute they decided to pretty much ignore consumer demand (consumer is king) for cheap instant direct download to up to date material, they left themselves open to attack from industries that would provide that product, even if current law declares these industries evil.

Copy-write may be a "great idea" but at the moment it just being used to distort the market.

That's utter bullshit and the battle cry of the 'we want it free' crowd. Prices on movies in visual mediums haven't changed in quite a long time. VHS was similar in price to current prices for DVD's. BluRay costs more because it's a relatively new medium, but they usually also include a DVD copy, which gives one the ability to have it playing on two separate devices at once.
If someone wants to see something for free, go to the library or watch one of the free movies they can watch that aren't copy protected.
Why haven't prices dropped? Because, in spite of what you wish were true, consumer's are still willing to pay the prices being asked, because the majority do NOT find them over priced.

Not to mention that things purchased legally tend to be of a higher quality than things gained illegally.
Eveille
pockybot
@evelle:

Quote:
You don't 'return' this stuff. It's pirated and kept. If someone wants it, then let them buy it and watch it. Get netflix or some other online service that has a contract to rent movies with. But this 'I wansa download s**t for free' crowd are just whining because they don't want to pay for it. The solution is simple. Either pay for it and watch it, don't pay for it and don't watch it, or don't pay for it, pirate it, and, when caught, pay the fine and do the time without bitching since they know what is at stake.

I think the only reason people are still spending money on dinosaur physical media(often dvds or blu rays with no extras) is because they don't know about torrents. In this economy, I cant blame em. Besides most the bands Im into put up their music for free, get money by other means and make art for art sake. I think there is a referendum on the industry as a whole. Sure north american anime died as far as home releases because of downloading...but I think the entire physical media thing is a dinosaur. I used to pay $18-24 for each cd I got ages back, and Im glad those days are long gone

Almost didn't see this at all razz . Quote me or I miss it, I tend to move around forums a whole lot.

I actually like physical ownership emo . I like having the cases with the pretty pictures and booklets and holding the discs in my hand. I like it being MINE. Now, I don't really care if you dl or 500 people do it, personally I usually prefer holding what I own or saving it onto some form of physical existence for my own anxiety about loss.

I must agree at the outrages prices of CDs though. I love the photos and stuff that come with them and the paper and the embossing and whatever else I can't do at home. However, I still feel that they are overpriced and lately it's just easier to get a digi copy and burn a cd at home without the pics :/

This 'high prices' s**t has already been covered. The price of an album (CD) or movie hasn't really changed in decades. That is what I don't understand. "They're soooo expensive'. Yeah? Try it when you're making less than three bucks an hour on minimum wage.
'Entertainment' isn't a guarantee, nor something people are entitled to.
There's no way it's ever going to pass anyways.
Queen Shining Heaven
Not to mention that things purchased legally tend to be of a higher quality than things gained illegally.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*gasp*
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100
MistressOfTheShadows
I'm actually a Hardcore Left-Wing Radical Liberal Democrat,

That doesn't make no kind of sense...
Eveille
Yea but in the end both systems purchase 1 copy and make it available for tons of people. The creator et. al. are only getting paid for 1 copy regardless.

Personal:
I have a netflix >_> and I buy tons of books. I pirated 1 (one) and that was because it was ******** 500$ and out of print. Should it ever become reasonably priced, I'll buy it for sure because I liked it. Hate on me for the book if you'd like, but it's not particularly relevant. I tried accessing it via the library, but the copy had been stolen...shocker since it was so costly.

The difference is with the library book only one copy of the book exist at any given time. If I give the book to you I no longer have the book. With piracy, multiple versions of the book are created; this means I can give the book to you well retaining my own copy.

More or less, copyright law prohibits you from making copies of someones work, the library never made a copy; the pirates did.

Ferocious Browser

Oidin
Eveille
Yea but in the end both systems purchase 1 copy and make it available for tons of people. The creator et. al. are only getting paid for 1 copy regardless.

Personal:
I have a netflix >_> and I buy tons of books. I pirated 1 (one) and that was because it was ******** 500$ and out of print. Should it ever become reasonably priced, I'll buy it for sure because I liked it. Hate on me for the book if you'd like, but it's not particularly relevant. I tried accessing it via the library, but the copy had been stolen...shocker since it was so costly.

The difference is with the library book only one copy of the book exist at any given time. If I give the book to you I no longer have the book. With piracy, multiple versions of the book are created; this means I can give the book to you well retaining my own copy.

More or less, copyright law prohibits you from making copies of someones work, the library never made a copy; the pirates did.

So it's an issue with the process? Fair enough I suppose, I'm glad I finally got an answer lol

However, the end result seems to be the same regardless, the creator gets 1 fee, the public gets lots of access.
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille

Personal:

So it's an issue with the process? Fair enough I suppose, I'm glad I finally got an answer lol

However, the end result seems to be the same regardless, the creator gets 1 fee, the public gets lots of access.

When you buy a physical book you own the book, you don't own the content in the book. You can do whatever you want with the book, so long as its not making other copies. Companies like Blockbuster and Netflix did this with movies, they would buy physical DVDs, then rent them out to people. With digital copies their is nothing to physically own because of this you license out the content.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Queen Shining Heaven

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*gasp*
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

All of which can be skipped by simple process.

Ferocious Browser

Oidin
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille

Personal:

When you buy a physical book you own the book, you don't own the content in the book. You can do whatever you want with the book, so long as its not making other copies. Companies like Blockbuster and Netflix did this with movies, they would buy physical DVDs, then rent them out to people. With digital copies their is nothing to physically own because of this you license out the content.

Do pirates make copies though? I thought they just uploaded their own copy and shared it out to everyone.

Meh emo , I get the distinction you are explaining, at least I think I do; but I don't feel it's a strong enough one to matter since the end result is the same.
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille

Personal:

Do pirates make copies though? I thought they just uploaded their own copy and shared it out to everyone.

Meh emo , I get the distinction you are explaining, at least I think I do; but I don't feel it's a strong enough one to matter since the end result is the same.

Notice how more and more small studios are dying off? Guess why? Because they have no market. Someone buys a copy of their movie and uploads it for every shitbag alive to download for free, thereby killing a razor edge profit margin to begin with.
Why? Because they can't afford to make a sequel or another movie. The thieves choose to willfully ignore that they are taking peoples livelyhoods away from them.
They willfully ignore that, not only does this hurt the low budget actors, writers, directors and others, it also takes away jobs from cameramen, keygrips, extras and many others as well.
They claim it 'helps sales'. That's a cop out. They know damn good and well the figures are cooked to attempt to present that, but it makes them feel good about themselves and they justify it by saying 'well, I'm only one person so it's not important'. Well, there's over a million more 'one persons' doing that s**t as well.
A nice, juicy fine and a month of government housing should fix it.

Ferocious Browser

Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille

Personal:

Notice how more and more small studios are dying off? Guess why? Because they have no market. Someone buys a copy of their movie and uploads it for every shitbag alive to download for free, thereby killing a razor edge profit margin to begin with.
Why? Because they can't afford to make a sequel or another movie. The thieves choose to willfully ignore that they are taking peoples livelyhoods away from them.
They willfully ignore that, not only does this hurt the low budget actors, writers, directors and others, it also takes away jobs from cameramen, keygrips, extras and many others as well.
They claim it 'helps sales'. That's a cop out. They know damn good and well the figures are cooked to attempt to present that, but it makes them feel good about themselves and they justify it by saying 'well, I'm only one person so it's not important'. Well, there's over a million more 'one persons' doing that s**t as well.

I actually don't know of any small studios. Pretty much every movie I've seen and continue to see comes out of the huge ones in Cali. Nor was I aware that there was a big pirating market for Indie movies, I thought it was the huge studio films that were being shared out and the big studios raising the fuss.

Nor does that explain how the end result is any different, which is what I've been asking for a while now.

You know what I think a month of government housing could fix for those individuals who make up the millions? Environmental degradation. THAT is an issue to me worth jailing people over. Media problems seem petty by comparison.
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Oidin
Eveille

I actually don't know of any small studios. Pretty much every movie I've seen and continue to see comes out of the huge ones in Cali. Nor was I aware that there was a big pirating market for Indie movies, I thought it was the huge studio films that were being shared out and the big studios raising the fuss.

Nor does that explain how the end result is any different, which is what I've been asking for a while now.

You know what I think a month of government housing could fix for those individuals who make up the millions? Environmental degradation. THAT is an issue to me worth jailing people over. Media problems seem petty by comparison.

Then you're willfully ignoring the answer and attempting to justify theft so you don't feel bad about stealing.
That's not a direct 'you', but a generic one.
Library has one copy. Period. When it is checked out, that is the only copy available, so you have to come back later to see if it has been turned in yet.
Thieves upload a copy, and suddenly there are millions of them floating around, to the point that anyone who wants a copy can download it and watch it, thus stealing money from the owners of the product.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff