Welcome to Gaia! ::

Disa Uniflora
azulmagia
Like we're any freer when markets control our lives. confused

Certainly freer than when people like you do.

The institutionalization of bottom-up direct producer's control is only tyrannical to those with something to lose. Which, by definition, is almost nobody.

Aged Lunatic

First, explain what you mean by "controlling your lives"...
GunsmithKitten

I think it's obvious what he means. It probably has something to do with so-called "economic freedom". As to what constitutes economic unfreedom, apparently it's just like economic freedom, except it's on a larger scale and the state does it.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
azulmagia
GunsmithKitten

I think it's obvious what he means. It probably has something to do with so-called "economic freedom". As to what constitutes economic unfreedom, apparently it's just like economic freedom, except it's on a larger scale and the state does it.

I thought he meant more on a governmental scale: that is to say, many liberals advocate a larger federal government.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
The New Wineskin

I thought he meant more on a governmental scale: that is to say, many liberals advocate a larger federal government.
Assuming we're talking about social programs, the leap from that to increased control being exercised over a given individual's thoughts or actions is considerable.
Labels mean nothing in government anymore, as definitions change with each mover and shaker that comes along.

Canadian Conservatism used to mean loyalty to Britain and commonwealth culture, but now it means loyalty to America and American values. Canadian Liberalism used to mean more open borders, free markets and improving the military for peacekeeping, but now it means you want to legalize marijuana and take Quebec's d**k up your butt.
The New Wineskin
azulmagia
GunsmithKitten

"The era of big government is over."

- Bill Clinton

Who knows what the ******** liberals believe anymore. Archaix is right, the things described by the labels just keep changing. Once upon a time everything liberals stood for was as radical as pure communism is now considered to be. That changed in proportion as the bourgeoisie attained power. In more recent times, liberals started jumping off the good ship SS War on Poverty as soon as it was seen that the ship proved unseaworthy. The flat truth is that a liberal can be more easily be induced to move rightward, as long as the argument sounds "reasonable", than he can be persuaded to move leftward even though a rigorous critique has been provided.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Liberalism supports freedom that is built on a foundation of stability, rather than of anarchy.

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
Complex Systems
They do a good job of liberating people out of their pants.

User Image

UNSEE THAT, GAIA.
什麼。
Goldgato
Liberalism supports freedom that is built on a foundation of stability, rather than of anarchy.

What kind of crap is that.

Not even the anarchists favour anarchy is that is defined as "instability".

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
azulmagia
Goldgato

Of course they don't define it as that, but that's what it is.

Mega Noob

I'd rather ask, "what is stability". Does it mean that they do as we want?
They called liberals as they love to liberally drone attack and bomb brown people to "liberate" them(war is ok for Democrats if they do it under the guise of 'humanitarianism') Also they enjoy liberally enforcing big brother political correct nanny state crap(banning violent video games, banning happy meals, etc)

And they're call conservatives as they enjoy conserving freedoms, civil rights, etc.
Goldgato
azulmagia
Goldgato

Of course they don't define it as that, but that's what it is.

Way more unstable than a society that is constantly in a state of war and "business cycles". And there's the stability of the elections where different tribes that don't like each other take turns pretending to organize and progress society for money.
Heimdalr
I'd rather ask, "what is stability". Does it mean that they do as we want?

I think what they mean by "stability" is that the 80%+ have to put up with the top 20% (actually, top 1%) basically being in charge or society and punching WAY above their weight in every contentious issue, even when the results are prejudicial to everyone else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff