Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

[******** women, how do they work?"...that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
... rofl
The Cat Fiasco

What has Obama done to decrease the federal deficit?

What have the republicans done? ******** nothing.

Obama, or any president, cannot control a budget. He can propose one which recommends funding levels for the next federal year to congress.

Any meaningful effort to fix the budget issue of the US (small as it is, and as a pain in the a** the republicans are being over it) is going to require long term commitment and subtlety (things we know the republican congress is completely bankrupt in) to ensure a serious and concrete stable change.

Almost every economic measure I've heard from the republican side of this whole ******** debacle (aside from Romney who has at least once of twice attempted to look at job creation) is complete and utter bullshit. The only people I've seen crowing for this s**t are Randian anti-government pseudo-intellectual d**k-heads who are finally ecstatic that some group of measure has finally bought into their morally bankrupt intellectually edgy theories after having long been ostracised from the Economic community at large for being dogmatic lunatics who parade around thinking their hot s**t because they support a peripheral Economic school of thought well outside any merits it has on the progress of Economic thought.

Phew, needed to get that out of my system. /EconRant.
Obama the Dems and the Libs have nothing they played all the games they had last time with the "I am not Bush" and the "He is not Bush" bs turns out he is Bush. they can't point out that the Unemployment numbers have not been any place close to Bush's and Obama's good numbers are the ones that Bush left office with. this war on women and look at Mitts taxes is a try to do anything but look at gas people with out jobs the debt or any of the other crap that is wrong. Obama has nothing if this was Bush the Libs would be mad about it but its a Dem and they don't care.
azulmagia

Romney's tax plan is the same kind of tax plan every GOP candidate plans to implement: a REDISTRIBUTIONIST one that transfers wealth from the poor and middle class to the super-rich. So it is true that middle class people are going to pay more taxes under Romney.

No, that's not right. Redistribution is taking something from one person and giving it to another. Lower taxes on the rich allows the rich to keep more of the money they already had. Call it what you will, letting the rich keep more of their wealth is NOT redistribution. Unless you have a very warped sense of property rights.
Kaltros
azulmagia

Romney's tax plan is the same kind of tax plan every GOP candidate plans to implement: a REDISTRIBUTIONIST one that transfers wealth from the poor and middle class to the super-rich. So it is true that middle class people are going to pay more taxes under Romney.

No, that's not right. Redistribution is taking something from one person and giving it to another. Lower taxes on the rich allows the rich to keep more of the money they already had. Call it what you will, letting the rich keep more of their wealth is NOT redistribution.

Sure it is, if some people's taxes are being raised and programs which benefit the middle and morking class are being cut. The net result is not distinguishable from redistribution, so why not call it that?

Quote:
Unless you have a very warped sense of property rights.

rolleyes
azulmagia
Kaltros
azulmagia

No, that's not right. Redistribution is taking something from one person and giving it to another. Lower taxes on the rich allows the rich to keep more of the money they already had. Call it what you will, letting the rich keep more of their wealth is NOT redistribution.

Sure it is, if some people's taxes are being raised and programs which benefit the middle and morking class are being cut. The net result is not distinguishable from redistribution, so why not call it that?

Hmm. Government programs which benefit the middle and working class are a form of redistribution. Cutting those actually lowers redistribution.

Raising taxes on the lower classes though... I wasn't aware Romney intended to do that. Source please?
Kaltros
Raising taxes on the lower classes though... I wasn't aware Romney intended to do that. Source please?

It is mathematically impossible for him not to raise taxes on the middle class.

Liberal Voter

you're an idiot if you think there is no war on women's rights. neutral
Old Blue Collar Joe
Demon Kagerou
It's sort of a cliche at this point, but Obama is not the cause of the deficit or the economy. This has all been a really long time coming. And so has this "war on women" thing.

This is a war of choices. Lots of them, made over several decades. Obama's choices have not been as radical as I would have like, but I know sure as hell the alternative will make worse ones.

But he IS responsible for the actions he's taken since taking office, which definitely include increasing the deficit at a record pace never before seen, as well as multiple mis-steps with is supposed stimulus plans that hvaen't done a damn thing to fix the employment.
And, with his proposals and increased expenses coming, no one wants to risk their money.

Unless you have evidence, I'm thinking this narrative about Obama's out of control spending could just be a misconception. It seems to me conservatives see his healthcare spending as 'bad' government spending, disliking it largely on principal. Military spending is considered 'good' government spending.

Here are some articles I found on Forbes:

From the left!
From the right!

The guy on the left argues that Obama has actually been amazing, compared with Bush II. The guy on the right argues that's like saying the country gained 40 pounds under Bush and then, under Obama, maintained the same weight. He's upset Obama didn't cut back on Bush's spending completely.

Honestly, I don't think either Obama or Romney will fix the economy. But I appreciate the healthcare reform, and the bringing our troops home, and the Fair Pay Act, and the pro-choice legislation.
post_pie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Demon Kagerou
It's sort of a cliche at this point, but Obama is not the cause of the deficit or the economy. This has all been a really long time coming. And so has this "war on women" thing.

This is a war of choices. Lots of them, made over several decades. Obama's choices have not been as radical as I would have like, but I know sure as hell the alternative will make worse ones.

But he IS responsible for the actions he's taken since taking office, which definitely include increasing the deficit at a record pace never before seen, as well as multiple mis-steps with is supposed stimulus plans that hvaen't done a damn thing to fix the employment.
And, with his proposals and increased expenses coming, no one wants to risk their money.

Unless you have evidence, I'm thinking this narrative about Obama's out of control spending could just be a misconception. It seems to me conservatives see his healthcare spending as 'bad' government spending, disliking it largely on principal. Military spending is considered 'good' government spending.

Here are some articles I found on Forbes:

From the left!
From the right!

The guy on the left argues that Obama has actually been amazing, compared with Bush II. The guy on the right argues that's like saying the country gained 40 pounds under Bush and then, under Obama, maintained the same weight. He's upset Obama didn't cut back on Bush's spending completely.

Honestly, I don't think either Obama or Romney will fix the economy. But I appreciate the healthcare reform, and the bringing our troops home, and the Fair Pay Act, and the pro-choice legislation.

Fair pay has been in effect for quite a long time. It is a dog and pony show, nothing more.
Bringing the troops home? You are aware that this time frame was actually implemented under Bush, right? It isn't some new thing. It's old.
Pro-choice. Abortion hasn't, and isn't, illegal. The biggest fight is yet to come on this issue with the attempt to get taxpayers, once again, to fund elective abortions.
As for the spending? Let's put it simply. Bush was bad at it. Obama makes Bush look like Ebenezer Scrooge.
Here's an article with graph.

Quote:
The Debt rose $4.899 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.939 trillion since President Obama took office.

Don't think I'm giving Bush a pass. As I said, he pissed away a lot and made some major errors. Obama? He may just pass Carter as the worst president in the last fifty years.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
azulmagia
Kaltros

Especially given that he defines the middle class as starting about the 90th percentile for income.

The Old Blue Collar Joe
Obama? He may just pass Carter as the worst president in the last fifty years.
What gives Nixon a pass? I think most people'd put him in that seat. On account of the paranoia and corruption, all that stuff.
Wendigo
azulmagia
Kaltros

Especially given that he defines the middle class as starting about the 90th percentile for income.

The Old Blue Collar Joe
What gives Nixon a pass? I think most people'd put him in that seat. On account of the paranoia and corruption, all that stuff.

The thing about Nixon is that economically, the choice was between a candidate that was irresponsibly tampering with the economy for his own partisan political gain (Nixon obviously), and a guy who was proposing intervention in the economy for the gain of everyone, except maybe the top x% of wealth holders (McGovern).

And the x% of course, backed the irresponsible guy.

Questionable Codger

Wendigo

The Old Blue Collar Joe

Joe only knows one tune to play on that dog whistle of his, or haven't you noticed?
castigat ridendo ******** women, how do they work?[
f1uycwxt:0="castigat ridendo ******** women, how do they work?[/url]
"...that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
... rofl

All in day's work, really.
Ammo Amy
Wendigo

The Old Blue Collar Joe

Joe only knows one tune to play on that dog whistle of his, or haven't you noticed?

Yeah, he doesn't really have a good grip on the world around him.

He doesn't even know what any of the words in that sentence mean.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff