Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apparently there is one.

Or maybe it's a scheme to get people distracted from the issues that actually matter.
Like our economy. I'm not saying anything is perfect about the Republican candidate.
But really, there is no way a conservative president can make abortion illegal overnight. Claims that Romney is going to raise taxes on the middle class and that he wants the middle class to suffer are ridiculous. No one seems to pay attention to how he wants to stop closing coal plants to prevent more working americans from loosing their jobs. President Obama wants to shut them down and phase them out completely. Tell me how helping mother nature puts jobless Americans to work. I'm sick of how dirty these campaigns are getting. And it seems to me that every Obama-supporter I talk to simply gets their research from these absurd ads. I'm not saying they all do. People on both sides of the political aisle do this.

So I guess my question is, what good has come out of this current administration?

What has Obama done to decrease the federal deficit?

Why are topics of "social welfare" clouding over the issue that our economy is about to collapse and the foundation for our American prosperity is about to be ultimately destroyed?

I'm curious. And terrified.
cat_cry emotion_donotwant emotion_8c emotion_0A0 cat_sad
politics hurt my soul

Devoted Explorer

If the American people are willing to sacrifice the rights of the people for economic stability, I'm not quite sure they deserve it.

Sparkly Pirate

16,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
Major Lima Charlie
If the American people are willing to sacrifice the rights of the people for economic stability, I'm not quite sure they deserve it.

This. The whole "War on Women" thing isn't being used to distract people from the economy. The issues brought up with the War on Women are things that a lot of ladies (and men) see as basic rights. Even if a certain politician would greatly improve the economy if brought into office, would it really be worth sacrificing things like access to birth control and abortion? What if he wants to change rape laws in such a way that would make it harder to prosecute rapists, or redefines rape in a way that puts victims at a disadvantage?
The Cat Fiasco
But really, there is no way a conservative president can make abortion illegal overnight.

Nobody said anything about that. But, they can certainly chip away at it.

For example, they can concede that raped women can get abortions. Then they slice at the sausage by passing a new law. One that says that only clearly "forcible" rapes are the rapes legitimately deserving abortion. So, if the woman just lies there and takes it, as it were, it's not "legitimate" rape and therefore the woman is forced to carry the rape baby to term.

This isn't even a hypothetical, this is actual prospective GOP policy, as embraced by Paul Ryan and Todd Akin.

Quote:
Claims that Romney is going to raise taxes on the middle class and that he wants the middle class to suffer are ridiculous.

Romney's tax plan is the same kind of tax plan every GOP candidate plans to implement: a REDISTRIBUTIONIST one that transfers wealth from the poor and middle class to the super-rich. So it is true that middle class people are going to pay more taxes under Romney.

Quote:
No one seems to pay attention to how he wants to stop closing coal plants to prevent more working americans from loosing their jobs. President Obama wants to shut them down and phase them out completely. Tell me how helping mother nature puts jobless Americans to work.

Tell me how ******** over mother nature is good for ANYONE.

Quote:
I'm sick of how dirty these campaigns are getting.

What's "dirty"? The only thing really dirty is an allegation that's an outright ******** lie.

Quote:
What has Obama done to decrease the federal deficit?

It's a pretty stupid idea to try and get rid of the deficit during a recession, chief.

Quote:
Why are topics of "social welfare" clouding over the issue that our economy is about to collapse and the foundation for our American prosperity is about to be ultimately destroyed?

I really doubt you have the intellectual wherewithal to know what the real foundation for prosperity is or to identify the real agents who've been destroying it.

Hygienic Bloodsucker

5,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I hate politics period. It's nothing interesting really.

Manly Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Well, let's see. This year, laws mandating an unnecessary ultrasound before every abortion were introduced in Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, North Carolina, Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Idaho, Oklahoma and Texas. (Among others.) As noted by many, because 90% of abortions occur during the first trimester, the particular requirement of these bills, that a woman be able to see her embryo before aborting it, also basically requires a transvaginal ultrasound, the only kind which could provide the required resolution of the inside of the uterus to view a ********' blastocyst.

Todd Akin, the ******** of the day, proposes that a woman who has been raped cannot become pregnant. Because he is a goddamn moron.

Both Republican Presidential candidates want to limit the range of situations in which a woman suffering an unwanted pregnancy can seek an abortion. There is a broader consensus among Republicans that this is a major issue of consequence, or seems to be, since they've never shut up about it for more than ten minutes at a time.

If you want to talk about the economy? Sure, let's talk about the economy - as long as somebody comes along who believes in non-repulsive social policies.

Dangerous Seeker

Yeah, economic issues ALWAYS trump social issues. Never mind we have a party of brainless assholes who look like they're trying to do everything short of repealing the 19th Amendment. Also, I demand proof the economy is "About to collapse". One more thing, ******** coal plants and all the PR bullshit about "Clean" coal. There's no such ******** thing. Now piss off you lolicon mong, your threads are ******** stupid.

Devoted Explorer

Director Danguy
Yeah, economic issues ALWAYS trump social issues. Never mind we have a party of brainless assholes who look like they're trying to do everything short of repealing the 19th Amendment. Also, I demand proof the economy is "About to collapse". One more thing, ******** coal plants and all the PR bullshit about "Clean" coal. There's no such ******** thing. Now piss off you lolicon mong, your threads are ******** stupid.
Aw, and you were doing so well up until that.

Dangerous Seeker

Major Lima Charlie
Director Danguy
There's a fine line between a Mong and the Hmong. One is a southeast Asian minority group, the other is an individual lacking in cerebral ability; to wit, a ******** moron.

Devoted Explorer

Director Danguy
Major Lima Charlie
Director Danguy
There's a fine line between a Mong and the Hmong. One is a southeast Asian minority group, the other is an individual lacking in cerebral ability; to wit, a ******** moron.
It's short for Mongoloid, which is a racist, ableist slur used to describe the mentally differently abled, especially people with Down's Syndrome.

It's not cool.

Dangerous Seeker

Major Lima Charlie
Director Danguy
Major Lima Charlie
Director Danguy
It's short for Mongoloid, which is a racist, ableist slur used to describe the mentally differently abled, especially people with Down's Syndrome.

It's not cool.
Huh, I really didn't know that. I'll remember for the future.

Correction of my earlier post: Now piss off you lolicon ********, your threads are ******** stupid.

Jeering Regular

Major Lima Charlie
Interesting story, J. L. Down, the doctor who first described the symptoms of Down Syndrome, was the one to first call those afflict Mongoloids, and the syndrome itself "Mongolism." In the context of the time, many people believed non-white races had mental deficiencies as part of larger justification for people of European descent to own slaves and colonize and so on and so forth. He came up with a classification system of mental defects that afflicted whites he argued contained non-white racial characteristics, and hence that any supposed mental defects of other races were, in fact, not racially specific. And so, he argued that races were, in fact, equal, because anybody of any race can be a retard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games