Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, it seems like the game of Chicken is on again with the possibility of a default and the future of Obamacare in the middle.

It appears that the GOP is taking the U.S and the global economy hostage in order to make sure that Obamacare gets defunded.

Frankly, I find such a practice (whether it be practiced by either side) to be in really bad taste.

They're using the threat of economic collapse in order to get their way and completely declaw something which has been in place for what? 3 and a half years or so now?

Such measures are frankly disgusting as their willingness to risk a possible global crisis (again) truly show where their priorities lie.

So yea...

the game of default chicken begins again!

EDIT:

The game of Default Chicken ends, for now.

Around next February or so it will likely be up and going again but it looks like for now the game has ended.

Toon in next February or so when the game begins, again!
Wraith of Azrael
So, it seems like the game of Chicken is on again with the possibility of a default and the future of Obamacare in the middle.

It appears that the GOP is taking the U.S and the global economy hostage in order to make sure that Obamacare gets defunded.

Frankly, I find such a practice (whether it be practiced by either side) to be in really bad taste.

They're using the threat of economic collapse in order to get their way and completely declaw something which has been in place for what? 3 and a half years or so now?

Such measures are frankly disgusting as their willingness to risk a possible global crisis (again) truly show where their priorities lie.

So yea...

Economic collapse? The government shutting down would be the best thing for the economy in centuries.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Government shutdown has been in the Republican playbook since the mid-'90s. Of course, although it actually did "shut down" at that time, there were emergency spending bills which cushioned the blow. What exactly would happen if Tea Party retards were the ones to slam on the brakes is anybody's guess.
Project 429
Wraith of Azrael

So yea...

Economic collapse? The government shutting down would be the best thing for the economy in centuries.

Okay. The government shuts down, people who work for the government can't get paid, therefore they can't buy stuff and that will cut into business revenue which will effect employment and pay for them so they can't buy stuff either. How is that good for the economy?
Both sides play this ******** stupid a** game regularly, and to blame one side or the other is to be a partisan hack. They don't want to cut their particular babies programs, because it will cost them votes, and they always want an increase on those same babies, so they constantly want to increase spending with the cuts coming from the other side of the aisle, never with any concern nor care for what happens to the working class, because they are the ones that bear the brunt of it.
The right took SSI and turned it into a piggy bank, breaking the back of the SS administration, with a drawerful of IOU's from the fed that aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Obamacare is a complete and utter ******** of stupid that benefits no one but the insurance companies, and was drawn up entirely by the left, so they get that goat ********.
So yeah, both sides get blame, not just one.
How should Obamacare have been done? By forcing the states (and I despise stomping on states rights in most instances, but not in this particular case) to drop their barriers and setting up a flat 2% across the board tax increase (see? I can say that word) that is constitutionally protected from being spent on ANYTHING other than medical protection for the citizens, the citizens could get coverage at a decent rate, and the prices wouldn't go through the roof, because the funds would be paid to private insurance companies, rather than the government who spend fifty dollars when two would do.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Both sides play this ******** stupid a** game regularly, and to blame one side or the other is to be a partisan hack.

I disagree. I don't know about Bush or pre-Bush deficit ceiling motions, but for the recent events, the blame should by squarely placed on the Republicans. It is quite literally extortion to tell both the Democrats and the sitting president to do whatever they (The republican party) want, or they'll commit Economic suicide. It's disgraceful, and it annoys me so much more knowing that the vast majority of American's wouldn't blame the Republican party if they did decide to take the dive.
Lord Akhenaton
Project 429
Wraith of Azrael

So yea...

Okay. The government shuts down, people who work for the government can't get paid, therefore they can't buy stuff and that will cut into business revenue which will effect employment and pay for them so they can't buy stuff either. How is that good for the economy?

Spending is not the way you measure the heath of an economy. Every job lost in a gov't shutdown will have been a job that was paid for by plundering the tax base. Not that a shutdown in this case is going to last long enough to have the long-term positive effects...

Benevolent Sex Symbol

Project 429
Lord Akhenaton
Project 429
Wraith of Azrael

So yea...

Spending is not the way you measure the heath of an economy. Every job lost in a gov't shutdown will have been a job that was paid for by plundering the tax base. Not that a shutdown in this case is going to last long enough to have the long-term positive effects...
I honestly don't think people could survive for the time needed in order to see positive effects. But that is just one variable in the equation. It would actually do worst if the Government did not follow through with cutting taxes and deficit spending by a majority amount.
Wendigo
Government shutdown has been in the Republican playbook since the mid-'90s. Of course, although it actually did "shut down" at that time, there were emergency spending bills which cushioned the blow. What exactly would happen if Tea Party retards were the ones to slam on the brakes is anybody's guess.

The GOP will be hurt, but the conservative movement as a whole won't. That sounds about right to me.

Old Blue Collar Joe
Both sides play this ******** stupid a** game regularly, and to blame one side or the other is to be a partisan hack.

I'm calling bullshit on that. When was the last time the Democrats threatened to shut down the government in order to nix a piece of legislation in an extra-constitutional manner?

Quote:
Obamacare is a complete and utter ******** of stupid that benefits no one but the insurance companies, and was drawn up entirely by the left, so they get that goat ********]

It was not drawn up by the left, it was lifted from Republican proposals. No real left-wing proposal would suck off the insurance companies in the manner of Obamacare (or Hilarycare back in the day).

Questionable Codger

N3bu
It's disgraceful, and it annoys me so much more knowing that the vast majority of American's wouldn't blame the Republican party if they did decide to take the dive.

Not anymore.

Quote:
Bad News GOP: 51% Would Blame Republicans for a Government Shutdown, Up from 40%
Ammo Amy
N3bu
It's disgraceful, and it annoys me so much more knowing that the vast majority of American's wouldn't blame the Republican party if they did decide to take the dive.

Not anymore.

Quote:
Bad News GOP: 51% Would Blame Republicans for a Government Shutdown, Up from 40%

And now, the rest of the story.

Note how its only the final 4 out of 9 questions on the survey that seem to sway against Republicans. Quite curious in my opinion.

Questionable Codger

--Sky Kid Tai--
Ammo Amy
N3bu

Not anymore.

Quote:

Note how its only the final 4 out of 9 questions on the survey that seem to sway against Republicans. Quite curious in my opinion.

Did you even bother to read the PDF file? How many questions were there that asked specifically who was to blame in case of a government shutdown? There were only TWO questions asking who would be to blame for anything. One was a shutdown and one was for the debt ceiling.

Quote:
13. If the federal government shuts down, do you think that Barack Obama or the Republicans in Congress would be more responsible for that?

Obama 33%
Republicans 51%
Both (vol.) 12%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 1%

Quote:
15. If the debt ceiling is not raised, do you think that Barack Obama or the Republicans in Congress would be more responsible for that?

Obama 25%
Republicans 54%
Both (vol.) 15%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 2%

Please pay attention to the subject material.
Ammo Amy
--Sky Kid Tai--
Ammo Amy
N3bu

Not anymore.

Quote:

Did you even bother to read the PDF file? How many questions were there that asked specifically who was to blame in case of a government shutdown? There were only TWO questions asking who would be to blame for anything. One was a shutdown and one was for the debt ceiling.

Quote:
13. If the federal government shuts down, do you think that Barack Obama or the Republicans in Congress would be more responsible for that?

Obama 33%
Republicans 51%
Both (vol.) 12%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 1%

Quote:
15. If the debt ceiling is not raised, do you think that Barack Obama or the Republicans in Congress would be more responsible for that?

Obama 25%
Republicans 54%
Both (vol.) 15%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 2%

-blink blink- You mean...the link I provided in my original response? The survey directly linked in the story you highlighted? As I said, the final 4 questions in said survey sway against republicans. Everywhere else? Barry's taking a beating:

56% disapprove of how Obama is handling the economy in this survey.

61% disapprove how he's handling the federal deficit.

Of the issues highlighted in this survey, the economy is the leading issue with 44% (strangly the the federal deficit has only 13% despite the polls above).

Unrelated to economics, 54% of those polled disapprove how Barry is handling healthcare.

Anyway, back on topic. As you so willingly pointed out (ascI did in my original reply), the final items on the questionnaire fall againsts republicans. My point was as follows; considering the results from the previous questions on this survey, I have these 2 conclusions about it.

1. The simplest conclusion, the poll is bullshit, which wouldn't surprise me.

2. The people surveyed disagree with what Obama wants, but seeing as budgets are a matter of Congress, they associate blame to House Republicans and forgetting one crucial factor in all of this; Congress is actually two chambers; The House of Representatives, and the Senate. What these people forget is that whatever comes out of the House has to pass through the Senate. And whatever comes from the Senate has to pass through the house. This conclusion wouldn't surprise me either considering how pollitically illiterate and stupid the people of this country are.

Questionable Codger

--Sky Kid Tai--
Ammo Amy
--Sky Kid Tai--
Ammo Amy
N3bu

Not anymore.

Quote:

Quote:

Obama 33%
Republicans 51%
Both (vol.) 12%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 1%

Quote:

Obama 25%
Republicans 54%
Both (vol.) 15%
Neither (vol.) 3%
No opinion 2%

-blink blink- You mean...the link I provided in my original response? The survey directly linked in the story you highlighted? As I said, the final 4 questions in said survey sway against republicans. Everywhere else? Barry's taking a beating:

56% disapprove of how Obama is handling the economy in this survey.

61% disapprove how he's handling the federal deficit.

Of the issues highlighted in this survey, the economy is the leading issue with 44% (strangly the the federal deficit has only 13% despite the polls above).

Unrelated to economics, 54% of those polled disapprove how Barry is handling healthcare.

Anyway, back on topic. As you so willingly pointed out (ascI did in my original reply), the final items on the questionnaire fall againsts republicans. My point was as follows; considering the results from the previous questions on this survey, I have these 2 conclusions about it.

1. The simplest conclusion, the poll is bullshit, which wouldn't surprise me.

2. The people surveyed disagree with what Obama wants, but seeing as budgets are a matter of Congress, they associate blame to House Republicans and forgetting one crucial factor in all of this; Congress is actually two chambers; The House of Representatives, and the Senate. What these people forget is that whatever comes out of the House has to pass through the Senate. And whatever comes from the Senate has to pass through the house. This conclusion wouldn't surprise me either considering how pollitically illiterate and stupid the people of this country are.

Please pay attention. This is about the budget and the government shutdown. It doesn't matter if the President is taking a beating in opinion polls, the Republicans are faring worse in a head-to-head match up in conducting their kamikaze attack to hurt him. Even the Senate Republicans think the House Republicans are batshit crazy.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe

Obamacare is a complete and utter ******** of stupid that benefits no one but the insurance companies, and was drawn up entirely by the left, so they get that goat ********, the original proposal was a single-payer system to which the current form bears no resemblance. The current version is a compromise between that proposal and the status quo, which Republicans favored. It's a "false compromise," in that is solved no problems and satisfied nobody, but Republicans went and stirred the pot themselves when ruining the broth, too.

IMO, the solution to this, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid is a program that covers everybody, like Natty Health. If people want privately financed health care at private clinics, then they pay for it, and they get superior care faster. If not they go with what everybody can get.

Private health insurance...should die, immediately.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff