Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is this politically correct gone too far?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on November 30, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5

Lord Fates
tylara67

But it is relevant. It says that no matter how much influence the Christian religion may have on the American government, there are no official ties. As such, the government will not espouse Christianity, including in public schools.

I don't disagree with your point about official ties, but the Treaty of Tripoli isn't a significant piece of it. It doesn't mean much compared to say, interpreting the constitution. It could say we as a country were the holy defenders of the faith and still mean nothing, it is a minor treaty that made no impact of America. Thus I don't want to get into arguements centering around it and how it "proves" anything. So to that end I will move on.

Now then schools are not meant to preach anything, I fully agree. However there is a big difference between preaching and talking about Christianity in America. America is a "Christian Nation" in the sense that Christianity is by far the most influential and dominant religion, and has been so continuously since the nation started as colonies. To ignore that would be cutting out history. So if the teacher was teaching about how Christianity influenced America, this is no crime. That is very different from preaching.

In this case there is not enough evidence to show either way.

Are you denying that a teacher could preach by tainting how he presents the US as a "Christian nation"? Because that's the real issue here.
tylara67
Lord Fates
tylara67

But it is relevant. It says that no matter how much influence the Christian religion may have on the American government, there are no official ties. As such, the government will not espouse Christianity, including in public schools.

I don't disagree with your point about official ties, but the Treaty of Tripoli isn't a significant piece of it. It doesn't mean much compared to say, interpreting the constitution. It could say we as a country were the holy defenders of the faith and still mean nothing, it is a minor treaty that made no impact of America. Thus I don't want to get into arguements centering around it and how it "proves" anything. So to that end I will move on.

Now then schools are not meant to preach anything, I fully agree. However there is a big difference between preaching and talking about Christianity in America. America is a "Christian Nation" in the sense that Christianity is by far the most influential and dominant religion, and has been so continuously since the nation started as colonies. To ignore that would be cutting out history. So if the teacher was teaching about how Christianity influenced America, this is no crime. That is very different from preaching.

In this case there is not enough evidence to show either way.

Are you denying that a teacher could preach by tainting how he presents the US as a "Christian nation"? Because that's the real issue here.

No, he isn't dening that. Heck, he could argue that the US was founded by Time-Traveling Ancient Greeks. The point he was making is that we don't know if he was or wasn't.

In any event, my libertarian roots make me feel highly uncomfortable with strict government control over what is taught in schools. Also, I feel that you are over reacting as much as those who would put stickers on science books to remind people that evolution is only a theory.
A Soporific

No, he isn't dening that. Heck, he could argue that the US was founded by Time-Traveling Ancient Greeks. The point he was making is that we don't know if he was or wasn't.

In any event, my libertarian roots make me feel highly uncomfortable with strict government control over what is taught in schools. Also, I feel that you are over reacting as much as those who would put stickers on science books to remind people that evolution is only a theory.

Thank you for defending me, it saves me the trouble.

I largely agree with what you have said. When it comes to history viewpoints are inevitable. That is becauser more than any other topic it is seen through the eyes of a person's perspective. I don't worry about someone teaching from a Christian perspective, because I had other viewpoints thrown at me, should all those teachers be diciplined and censored for attempt to sway my views. I dislike anything that restricts people from stating view points personally.
Lord Fates
Something about this stinks to me and it isn't on the teachers end

Yes it is.
By the way, your overly biased poll is greatly appreciated.
That is interesting. It does seem a bit far to ban the Declaration of Independance, considering it is an important political document. But, in my opinion, some things do seem very Christian-based in America.

At my school, I don't say 'under God' in the Pledge of Alligence. I see it as my right as American citizen not to say that.

I think that banning the Declaration of Indepence does seem like overkill, but I think 'under God' should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance (even though that is a totally different topic, but it relates to this one) as if you worship Buddha, I do not think you should have say you pledge to a flag that is 'under God' if you do not believe that.

American forefathers came to America for the reason to flee religious prosecution, and we should not be forcing a relgion upon any other Americans.
Lord Fates
A Soporific

Thank you for defending me, it saves me the trouble.

I largely agree with what you have said. When it comes to history viewpoints are inevitable. That is becauser more than any other topic it is seen through the eyes of a person's perspective. I don't worry about someone teaching from a Christian perspective, because I had other viewpoints thrown at me, should all those teachers be diciplined and censored for attempt to sway my views. I dislike anything that restricts people from stating view points personally.

Viewpoints are one thing, proselytizing is another, especially when you're talking about public schools with mandatory attendance and children too young to know when they're getting fed propaganda.

I have no problem with someone teaching from a Christian perspective, if that's all he was doing. And you're right, we don't know what was really going on. But given that the teacher ran to a fundamentalist group for legal aid, my default position in the absence of better information is to support the school. His choice of allies casts too much doubt on him, even in California.
The Declaration of Independence is a part of history. To ban it from school is like banning the Revolutionary War from being studied because it was too violent!
hhhxu
The Declaration of Independence is a part of history. To ban it from school is like banning the Revolutionary War from being studied because it was too violent!

[sarcasm] Thank you for taking the time to examine the issue in depth and providing us with an eloquent and well thought-out position. rolleyes [/sarcasm]
After reading all your comments, I must say this has happened many times. When a teacher teaches extremist views they are always "pulled out".

Trial to look at

Supreme Court

Gobitas v. Minersville

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out