Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Codger

According to a certain Supreme Court Justice:

Quote:
Justice Antonin Scalia said Monday evening that the Constitution is not a living document, according to the Dallas Morning News.

“It’s not a living document. It's dead, dead, dead," Scalia said during a guest lecture at Southern Methodist University, while promoting his new book, Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Text.

The Reagan-appointed jurist, who shared the stage with his co-author Bryan Garner, argued that good jurisprudence is about sidelining one's personal beliefs.

"The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge," Scalia said.

I guess Scalia is around to bury the remains, then?

Omnipresent Warlord

He's been saying that for a while now, but I don't think he really means what he says. If you were to interpret the Constitution for what you believe society at the time the Constitution and Amendments were ratified then you would be limited to the imagination and ideas present at the time of the constitution's founding. Scalia for instance, believes that hand-held rockets are legal for the common citizen to own under the Second Amendment despite the fact that the idea of a portable missile-launcher did not exist and I would bet Scalia all the money in the world that he couldn't find a primary-source document from the era to prove otherwise.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
What's your point? That you disagree with his judicial philosophy? Okay, that's well and good, but why not explain your position instead of posting a conclusory statement, as if Original Intent, Textualism or anything besides a Living Constitution is implicitly incorrect. Oh, look, Scalia used the word "dead" to make rhetorical point. Crazy.
The U.S. Constitution has been dead for a long ******** time.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Certainly it's dead. Parchment really ought to be dead; if it were to start moving around hundreds of years after it was peeled off the animal it came from, I'd freak out, myself.

Questionable Codger

Then why bother even interpreting and amending it if it's nothing but a dead piece of goddamn paper? Why not start over from scratch? Isn't the Constitution something like the Bible of the United States? Is the Bible dead, too?

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ammo Amy
Then why bother even interpreting and amending it if it's nothing but a dead piece of goddamn paper? Why not start over from scratch? Isn't the Constitution something like the Bible of the United States? Is the Bible dead, too?

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, or if you're simply ignorant of what Living Constitution means and, consequently, the point he's trying to make.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Wendigo
Certainly it's dead. Parchment really ought to be dead; if it were to start moving around hundreds of years after it was peeled off the animal it came from, I'd freak out, myself.

I thought parchment was made from paper... eek

(After a quick Google search...)

Oh, well. I learned something new today.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Ammo Amy
Then why bother even interpreting and amending it if it's nothing but a dead piece of goddamn paper?

You have to make me wonder if you're becoming some kind of parody. Because all he means is that the interpretation should remain the same as when it was written essentially. Interpretation should remain static and not account for new circumstances. This would, in fact, suggest there should be more amending to update it to allow for new meaning to be put in.

Questionable Codger

The Herald of War
Ammo Amy
Then why bother even interpreting and amending it if it's nothing but a dead piece of goddamn paper?

You have to make me wonder if you're becoming some kind of parody. Because all he means is that the interpretation should remain the same as when it was written essentially. Interpretation should remain static and not account for new circumstances. This would, in fact, suggest there should be more amending to update it to allow for new meaning to be put in.

Very astute.

But how much amending should or could be done without having to start over from scratch?

Maybe write Constitution II: The Next Document?

Magical Girl

Ammo Amy
The Herald of War
Ammo Amy

Very astute.

But how much amending should or could be done without having to start over from scratch?

[Earnest]

Presumably it would hurt our reputation of being the oldest constitutional republic.
Ammo Amy

The Bible is even deader since we now know it's a bunch of plagiarism and lies written by a bunch of cultist forgers.

Ammo Amy

That's what I've been saying for years. It's the only real way to put the executive branch in its cage, end legislating from the bench, and ending minority rule in the Senate.

Questionable Codger

HMS Thunder Child
Ammo Amy
The Herald of War
Ammo Amy

Very astute.

[Earnest]

Presumably it would hurt our reputation of being the oldest constitutional republic.

You don't think the statements made by some of our Supreme Court Justices and politicians wanting to change it doesn't?

azulmagia
Ammo Amy

The Bible is even deader since we now know it's a bunch of plagiarism and lies written by a bunch of cultist forgers.

And some still want to incorporate it as superseding the Constitution.

Quote:
Ammo Amy

That's what I've been saying for years. It's the only real way to put the executive branch in its cage, end legislating from the bench, and ending minority rule in the Senate.

That depends a lot. It seems that at least in the case of the Senate, the majority has ceded control to the minority once again. There's nothing in the Constitution about that.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Ammo Amy
The Herald of War
Ammo Amy

Very astute.

I'm not suggesting he's right, I'm saying you're really warping what he was saying. I think it'd be terribly inconvenient, needing to change what is supposed to be the fundamental framework of our government repeatedly. It's like trying to rebuild mess with your computer's hardware every time you install a new program. Much better to let it be interpreted anew given relevant new circumstances.

Magical Girl

Ammo Amy
HMS Thunder Child
Ammo Amy
The Herald of War
Ammo Amy

Very astute.

[Earnest]

You don't think the statements made by some of our Supreme Court Justices and politicians wanting to change it doesn't?

azulmagia
Ammo Amy

And some still want to incorporate it as superseding the Constitution.

Quote:
Ammo Amy

That depends a lot. It seems that at least in the case of the Senate, the majority has ceded control to the minority once again.
[Informative]

I'm no constitutional lawyer, so I have no clue what constitutes semantics and what constitutes more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff