Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154533043/texting-and-driving-bans-may-make-roads-less-safe

Quote:
SECRETARY RAY LAHOOD: When people are not distracted, lives will be saved. There's no dispute. There's no debate about whether distracted driving causes injury and takes peoples lives. We know that it does.

SMITH: But there is dispute about whether any law can actually get drivers to put down their phones.

RUSS RADER: These laws are well-meaning. But unfortunately, so far, we don't see that they're effective in reducing crashes, which is the goal that we all have.

SMITH: Russ Rader is with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which does research for insurers. He says laws can even backfire as drivers try to hide their phones lower down in their lap. Also, he says cellphone bans can only do so much since cellphones are only a small fraction of what distracts drivers.

RADER: Distracted driving is as old as driving. And whether it's putting on lipstick, or reading the newspaper, or reaching into the backseat for the MP3 player, all those things are distracting. So focusing on phone use will have limited effect on reducing crashes.

SMITH: But others point to successes in states like California, where cellphone bans are most strictly enforced. Barbara Harsha, head of the Governors Highway Safety Administration, says she hopes the grants announced today will help police get more aggressive.

BARBARA HARSHA: People have to believe that they'll be caught.

Quote:
n Massachusetts, an 18-year-old was convicted yesterday of causing a fatal traffic accident by texting. He will spend a year in jail, and the judge said he hoped the sentence would serve as a deterrent. Today, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood weighed in, calling for a state and federal crackdown on cellphone use in the driver's seat.

Poor kid now has a criminal record and spent a year in prison for texting/driving. Yes it was fatal but in my opinion it was still an accident, these things happen. I live in Florida and I have to deal with old people bumping into the back of my car and in the case of a close friend of mine, straight up ramming his car after the poor old man somehow lost control of his pedals. Should old people be banned from driving?
Anyway, what is your opinion on these laws that have now been adopted across 39 states and its looking to encompass the rest?

Is it necessary? Is it enforceable? So far it hasn't been an effective way of deteriorating texting/driving no more then the war on drugs has been successful in preventing drugs in our youth and society as a whole. If anything drugs are becoming more prevalent now then ever, is no longer just weed in high schools *which has increased drastically since the 70s, is X, bars, lsd etc.

It baffles me just how many US citizens are in favor of the law and some are in favor of HARSHER penalties that include 5-4 digit fines. What happened to democracy and the freedom to choose between what is right and wrong?
Does the government really have to pass this un enforceable law?
In practice this can be nothing more then a GOTCHA law that's only going to penalize those that are unlucky enough to no see the cop next them to them when they are texting, something easily fixed by putting the phone down in ur lap and waiting for the cop to leave.

Also how can the police even know if my car accident was caused by me texting? Are they going to go through my phones text to see if it matches with the time of the accident? Wouldn't that constitute an invasion of privacy *my naked pics text
Why even give the police a reason to have a warrant to search my car at this point?

When does personal responsibility take a back seat to government intrusion in our daily lives?
Magus200
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154533043/texting-and-driving-bans-may-make-roads-less-safe

Quote:
SECRETARY RAY LAHOOD: When people are not distracted, lives will be saved. There's no dispute. There's no debate about whether distracted driving causes injury and takes peoples lives. We know that it does.

SMITH: But there is dispute about whether any law can actually get drivers to put down their phones.

RUSS RADER: These laws are well-meaning. But unfortunately, so far, we don't see that they're effective in reducing crashes, which is the goal that we all have.

SMITH: Russ Rader is with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which does research for insurers. He says laws can even backfire as drivers try to hide their phones lower down in their lap. Also, he says cellphone bans can only do so much since cellphones are only a small fraction of what distracts drivers.

RADER: Distracted driving is as old as driving. And whether it's putting on lipstick, or reading the newspaper, or reaching into the backseat for the MP3 player, all those things are distracting. So focusing on phone use will have limited effect on reducing crashes.

SMITH: But others point to successes in states like California, where cellphone bans are most strictly enforced. Barbara Harsha, head of the Governors Highway Safety Administration, says she hopes the grants announced today will help police get more aggressive.

Quote:
n Massachusetts, an 18-year-old was convicted yesterday of causing a fatal traffic accident by texting. He will spend a year in jail, and the judge said he hoped the sentence would serve as a deterrent. Today, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood weighed in, calling for a state and federal crackdown on cellphone use in the driver's seat.

Poor kid now has a criminal record and spent a year in prison for texting/driving. Yes it was fatal but in my opinion it was still an accident, these things happen. I live in Florida and I have to deal with old people bumping into the back of my car and in the case of a close friend of mine, straight up ramming his car after the poor old man somehow lost control of his pedals. Should old people be banned from driving?
Anyway, what is your opinion on these laws that have now been adopted across 39 states and its looking to encompass the rest?

Is it necessary? Is it enforceable? So far it hasn't been an effective way of deteriorating texting/driving no more then the war on drugs has been successful in preventing drugs in our youth and society as a whole. If anything drugs are becoming more prevalent now then ever, is no longer just weed in high schools *which has increased drastically since the 70s, is X, bars, lsd etc.

It baffles me just how many US citizens are in favor of the law and some are in favor of HARSHER penalties that include 5-4 digit fines. What happened to democracy and the freedom to choose between what is right and wrong?
In practice this can be nothing more then a GOTCHA law that's only going to penalize those that are unlucky enough to no see the cop next them to them when they are texting, something easily fixed by putting the phone down in ur lap and waiting for the cop to leave.

Also how can the police even know if my car accident was caused by me texting? Are they going to go through my phones text to see if it matches with the time of the accident? Wouldn't that constitute an invasion of privacy *my naked pics text
Why even give the police a reason to have a warrant to search my car at this point?

When does personal responsibility take a back seat to government intrusion in our daily lives?

Poor kid? You're joking, right? He's a little ******** moron. Is it that hard to leave the phone alone while driving? If he wanted to check his texts or call someone, get a bluetooth for the phone and pull over and park to check the texts.
We spend too much time making excuses for stupid, and that is a major problem. "Poor kid" my a**. What about his poor victim?
Old Blue Collar Joe
Magus200

Quote:

Quote:

Poor kid? You're joking, right? He's a little ******** moron. Is it that hard to leave the phone alone while driving? If he wanted to check his texts or call someone, get a bluetooth for the phone and pull over and park to check the texts.
We spend too much time making excuses for stupid, and that is a major problem. "Poor kid" my a**. What about his poor victim?
cat_talk2hand *Waffles runs away*

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I have no sympathy whatsoever for a person stupid enough to take his hands and his eyes off the task of driving simultaneously. I don't care if he's 18 or 88, they should revoke your license the same way they do for a DUI.
It was an accident and that person who lost their life is regrettable but texting while driving is being distracted not intentionally ramming the person off the road to commit homicide. I can be distracted by looking at a flock of birds flying right over my car and the same conclusion can be reached. Now I have to receive a criminal record for the rest of my life and go to prison at the age of 18 over it?
Wendigo
I have no sympathy whatsoever for a person stupid enough to take his hands and his eyes off the task of driving simultaneously. I don't care if he's 18 or 88, they should revoke your license the same way they do for a DUI.

Not asking for your sympathy I'm asking for reason.
Can you enforce this law?
Does the punishment fit the "crime"?
Is this another case of personal responsibility and the government just taking over?

Are you saying that driving drunk is the same as texting? Now you are making a huge link here.
Do people text ALL the time when they drive or is seconds at a time? Its that all it takes for someone to die in a car, just being distracted for one second?
s**t why stop at texting then? We should put shock collars in our necks to prevent us from looking at anything other then the road? What would we do without laws like this to protect us? *sigh

Also, revoke my license for texting? Really Wendigo? Wow.
Let's see. If they text and hide their phones, they get in trouble for negligent homicide.
Why stop there then? Obviously we have taken alcohol to the level that we impose the age of 21 for people to drink, one of the reasons *I'm guessing* is that we will be more mature at that age to make a better decision, or whatever bogus excuse we use now a days here in America.

Should we punish texting the same way? We punish the alcohol industry with restrictions do we not? Let's restrict phone companies and enact laws that prohibit carriers from allowing text to be sent while inside the vehicle much like we prevent alcohol from being served to minors who according to the law are not fit to drink.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Let's see. If they text and hide their phones, they get in trouble for negligent homicide.

Oh goody, now they can have something in common with those other delinquents in jail that were caught with weed. You know those nice juicy young minorities that have forever gotten their lives destroyed by our shitty system. I want to see people hire them smile
Din't know my parents and friends were all guilty of negligent homicide.
Please let me know when I've gone too far.

how the hell will you even know that anyway? going to search my car now or start peeping through my mirrors at an angle where you can see my lap? good luck with that one.
Magus200
God Emperor Akhenaton

Oh goody, now they can have something in common with those other delinquents in jail that were caught with weed. You know those nice juicy young minorities that have forever gotten their lives destroyed by our shitty system. I want to see people hire them smile

how the hell will you even know that anyway? going to search my car now or start peeping through my mirrors at an angle where you can see my lap? good luck with that one.

There could be some indicators. If there are phone records close to the time of him killing someone or the phone was open, then that evidence is more than a little circumstantial.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Magus200
God Emperor Akhenaton

There could be some indicators. If there are phone records close to the time of him killing someone or the phone was open, then that evidence is more than a little circumstantial.

So because I texted someone 5 minutes before the accident, since that's a close amount of time *your being vague with your statements* I'm guilty of homicide?

The government now should, in every instance of a car accident, search both persons phone records? Oh boy, privacy really is taking a s**t in this country.
Wait i forgot that we live in a country that allows states to pass laws that allow cops to frisk citizens wethout motive. Where do we draw the line anymore?

Conservative Raider

Coming from someone who occasionally texts while driving, I am in favor of the ban(s).

Think of it this way: It's illegal to brandish a loaded firearm in public. If that firearm discharges accidentally, then the person waving it around is criminally liable. I consider driving without the use of your eyes and hands to be equally irresponsible and an automobile is much more dangerous than a handgun when misused.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Magus200

Not asking for your sympathy I'm asking for reason.
Can you enforce this law?
Does the punishment fit the "crime"?
Is this another case of personal responsibility and the government just taking over?
Sure you can enforce it. In your example, the time of the accident fixes the time to look for after you subpoena your driver's phone records. At other times, drivers who are texting may well be spotted by the highway patrol. Same way drivers are cited for failing to wear their seatbelts.

As for the punishment fitting the crime, what punishment would you hand down to a citizen of the age of majority who engages in negligent homicide? He's already murdered one person by being a reckless idiot in his car. No reason to murder more for the sake of pity.
Magus200
It was an accident and that person who lost their life is regrettable but texting while driving is being distracted not intentionally ramming the person off the road to commit homicide. I can be distracted by looking at a flock of birds flying right over my car and the same conclusion can be reached. Now I have to receive a criminal record for the rest of my life and go to prison at the age of 18 over it?

An accident isn't caused by someone NOT following the rules of the road. This was negligence on his part, and to attempt to equate it to an unavoidable accident is misleading.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff