Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Explorer

nobounce the 2nd
The Danguy
Camera Stellata
If support for Israel is out of principle I'd love to know what the principle is.
The principle of holy dog s**t you anti-semite how dare you question Israel?

too bad Israel does not equal Jewish, so one could not call someone anti-semitic for being the polices and practices of a sovereign country since that country has a great many religions that exist within its boarders. You can only be an anti-semite if you are against an jewish individual or group of jewish individuals
YOu think that's ever stopped them before?
TANRailgun
I really don't understand why the US, UK, and Canada have such a massive hard-on for Israel. Really, what the ******** have they done for ANYONE recently other than overreact and kill brown people?

Someone PLEASE, I beg you, explain it to me.

Blame crazy Conservatives (not normal ones, just the crazy ones)
who want to fight the sand niggers and towel heads and believe in the end times prophecy.

Those are the main reasons why people support Israel unless they happen to be Jewish themselves.

Either they want to take to the fight to the "terrorists" or they believe in the end times prophecy,

Familiar Smoker

Wraith of Azrael
TANRailgun
I really don't understand why the US, UK, and Canada have such a massive hard-on for Israel. Really, what the ******** have they done for ANYONE recently other than overreact and kill brown people?

who want to fight the sand niggers and towel heads and believe in the end times prophecy.

Those are the main reasons why people support Israel unless they happen to be Jewish themselves.

Either they want to take to the fight to the "terrorists" or they believe in the end times prophecy,
Yeah that's about what I thought, I was just hoping that there was a better reason than that.

Liberal Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Because America supports Israel, and we support America. Thus our foreign policy concerning Israel, and plenty of other things.

Dapper Dabbler

15,200 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
The Danguy
nobounce the 2nd
The Danguy
Camera Stellata
If support for Israel is out of principle I'd love to know what the principle is.
The principle of holy dog s**t you anti-semite how dare you question Israel?

too bad Israel does not equal Jewish, so one could not call someone anti-semitic for being the polices and practices of a sovereign country since that country has a great many religions that exist within its boarders. You can only be an anti-semite if you are against an jewish individual or group of jewish individuals
YOu think that's ever stopped them before?

it is not about stopping anyone it is about not diluting a situation by poorly wording a situation

Enduring Phantom

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Russian MBT T-90MS
I want a war with Israel with the major players against it being NATO.
Sounds pretty pointless to me, what would it even be over?

Mega Noob

Wendigo
Russian MBT T-90MS
I want a war with Israel with the major players against it being NATO.
Sounds pretty pointless to me, what would it even be over?

Consistency. Nuclear inspections, harboring war criminals, more UNSC condemnations than Gaddafi and Saddam ever racked up during their combined 66 years of regimes. I guess it would be a war to prove a point - that the world police does not favor its friends - rather than gain anything meaningful. As such, it should be avoided entirely. The outwardly reasons are there, though.
Wraith of Azrael
TANRailgun

I'm not really religious at all and I support the Israel side of the issue far more.

I'm also not Jewish.

I just believe the Arabs argument is faulty and they more or less forfeited their right to the area in 1947
Jessi Danger
Wraith of Azrael
TANRailgun

I'm not really religious at all and I support the Israel side of the issue far more.

I'm also not Jewish.

I just believe the Arabs argument is faulty and they more or less forfeited their right to the area in 1947

Do you have any idea how horrifically Israel treats the Palestinians? All the Palestinians want is their own country and to stop being subjugated and oppressed by Israel. The majority of Palestine wants the two state solution. Israel is the one stopping it from occurring.

Enduring Phantom

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Jessi Danger
and they more or less forfeited their right to the area in 1947
Is that meant to be 194 C.E., or 1914 C.E.?

In either case, I think th' main thing about "forfeiting their right to the area" would be that, of course, the people inhabiting the land at the beginning of the last century would have some right to continue inhabiting it, unless they had sold their property rights to somebody else and vacated it. (In the case of the Ottoman Empire's dissolution creating the British Mandate of Palestine, of course, control went to the British Empire.)

Where somebody had intended to continue inhabiting that land but was forced off it, let's say by warfare since there's been a lot of that, some allowance should be made for their descendants to return to it, since otherwise one is rather less-than-compassionately rendering war refugees homeless and destitute in perpetuity.

This, of course:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20552391

Is just despicable, considering the degree to which this issue serves to perpetuate violence, both against civilians on either side and against the IDF on occasion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/international/middleeast/01cnd-mideast.html?_r=0
Mei tsuki7
Jessi Danger
Wraith of Azrael
TANRailgun

I'm also not Jewish.

Do you have any idea how horrifically Israel treats the Palestinians? All the Palestinians want is their own country and to stop being subjugated and oppressed by Israel. The majority of Palestine wants the two state solution. Israel is the one stopping it from occurring.

I do, and I don't particularly care. The "Palestinians," originally wanted to bar Jews from owning land and property way back when. Then they failed in that, so they wanted to go to war to drive the Jews out of the Levant, they failed at that.

Honestly they have a State, it's called Jordan.
Wendigo

Is that meant to be 194 C.E., or 1914 C.E.?

In either case, I think th' main thing about "forfeiting their right to the area" would be that, of course, the people inhabiting the land at the beginning of the last century would have some right to continue inhabiting it, unless they had sold their property rights to somebody else and vacated it. (In the case of the Ottoman Empire's dissolution creating the British Mandate of Palestine, of course, control went to the British Empire.)

Actually, the people inhabiting the land in 1914 would have been a mix of Jews coming there and buying land since the Ottoman Empire in 1850 emancipated Jews and allowed them to own their own property (Much to the horror of Arabs who couldn't accept Jews as socio-economic equals).

Considering the Arabs who live there now are descendants of people who like the most of the Jews there now are recent arrivals as of 1850, and most of their ancestors didn't actually own the land they lived on, no they don't necessarily have that right.

overwhelmingly the Arabs didn't own the land they lived on. Most didn't live on it for more then a generation until the Ottomans usurious tax system crushed them and forced them out. Hence why the area was often described as a "waste," by Europeans prior to 1914. Arabs were by and large tenants or even land squatters and bedoiouns. None of whom owned the land (as in had title deeds).

Wendigo

Where somebody had intended to continue inhabiting that land but was forced off it, let's say by warfare since there's been a lot of that, some allowance should be made for their descendants to return to it, since otherwise one is rather less-than-compassionately rendering war refugees homeless and destitute in perpetuity.

They chose to leave, and or people sold the Jews the land. They should go to the countries that currently host them honestly. And considering THEY started the wars that rendered them homeless, I am less then compassionate. And no they don't have a right to go to lands they didn't own and live there.

Wendigo

This, of course:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20552391

Is just despicable, considering the degree to which this issue serves to perpetuate violence, both against civilians on either side and against the IDF on occasion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/international/middleeast/01cnd-mideast.html?_r=0

Cool beans.
Jessi Danger
Mei tsuki7
Jessi Danger
Wraith of Azrael
TANRailgun

I'm also not Jewish.

I do, and I don't particularly care. The "Palestinians," originally wanted to bar Jews from owning land and property way back when. Then they failed in that, so they wanted to go to war to drive the Jews out of the Levant, they failed at that.

Honestly they have a State, it's called Jordan.

So treating the Palestinians like subhumans is okay but it's not okay when it happens to anyone else?

They wanted to bar Jews from owning land and property for the same reason that Israel is barring the Palestinians from becoming citizens and owning land. They feared the Jews taking over the country just as the Jews now fear the Arabs taking over the country. If it was bad when the Palestinians did it it should still be bad when the Israeli's do it.

Jordan is not Palestine. They are two different things. Palestinians are not Jordanians. The area has always been split up into those two areas. It used to be Palestine and Transjordan. Now it's Isreal, the Palestinian Terrorities and Jordan. Saying that Jordan is a Palestinian State is like saying Canada is a US State.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games