Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Wendigo
The big event right now is the "sequester," which is coming in about a week. The government's going to have to cut about a trillion dollars in spending across it's budget, with implications, for example, in air travel, where they'll have to reduce the number of air traffic controllers.

The roots of this lie in an event near the end of 2011:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/21/politics/super-committee

The "Tea Party" wing of the Republican party absolutely refused to raise the debt ceiling for a period, demanding spending cuts first. High hopes were placed on a bipartisan "Supercommittee," given broad discretion to decide budgetary matters. Unfortunately, negotiations among the Supercommittee members and between Speaker Boehner and President Obama were unproductive. No compromise was reached, forestalling any progress on the issue for a period.

Once the sequester occurs, some members of Congress are likely to reconsider their rash oaths of fealty to dark lord Grover Norquist and his fell designs.

There are times when I wonder just who IS President of the U.S. currently. Obama? Or Boehner?
I swear, when Boehner refuses to even put anything up for a vote... Norquest is less of a problem than the 'Conglomerate of Kings" as I call the Republicans (especially the Tea Partyers) who refuse to even close up any of the loopholes that allow rich folk to hide their millions/billions in order to avoid paying taxes on any of it.

Not to mention that I still do not see any talk of any kind about cutting the cost out of OUR pockets for their (Congresspeople) spending on themselves that goes beyond their paychecks. Their so-called "entitlements" like tens of thousand A DAY on car rentals, thousands a week on haircuts at the Salon (instead of the haircuts done by the military which they ARE entitled to) and etc.

Also to note, Obama has made phone calls to Boehner on a personal level to try and talk about this issue with the budget... to no avail.

If this sequester goes through, many teachers will be laid off, many people in the military will be let go and for the industry that provides equipment and support for the military, they will also have lay-offs as well as being forced to shorten a day of work a week. Infrastructure will be affected more than it is. And a whole lot of other things.
This WILL effect unemployment and the economy on all fronts all across the board.

And who will be at fault for all of it? All of the blame will fall on Obama instead of where it should be placed. Because Obama is NOT the only one who should have to foot the whole thing by himself. It's the reason why Obama is "taking it to the people" rather than sitting around stewing in this Tea-Party/Republican made stalemate.
The real issue here is that the Republicans still refuse to pay more taxes out of their OWN pockets. They don't pay their share as it is because they all take full advantage of all the loopholes.
Vannak
Oil and gas companies are a bit of trouble as well. If you google Koch you'll get a pretty good read out on what they're all about.

Are you referring to the poet? What is it... Kenneth Koch? Funny you mention him I was just reading of him, and a poem in memory of him by Allen Ginsberg. I appreciated his sardonic feel.

Not to neglect the rest of what you wrote, which was equally as interesting and insightful, thank you.
Emery Daye
Vannak
Oil and gas companies are a bit of trouble as well. If you google Koch you'll get a pretty good read out on what they're all about.

Are you referring to the poet? What is it... Kenneth Koch? Funny you mention him I was just reading of him, and a poem in memory of him by Allen Ginsberg. I appreciated his sardonic feel.

Not to neglect the rest of what you wrote, which was equally as interesting and insightful, thank you.
I was referring to the Koch brothers of Koch industries.
oh! oops. I apologize for being ignorant. oddly enough Kenneth Koch was a poet who was often dissatisfied with the industrialization and abuse of American resources including oil. I guess my mind just jumped at the name.

Smoker

Heimdalr
  • Pot is becoming legal (again)
  • Slavery is being abolished
  • People drum up for war on Iran
  • Republicans are forced to update their platform (again)

Slavery? No it isn't, they still have that.
Heimdalr
  • Pot is becoming legal (again)
  • Slavery is being abolished
  • People drum up for war on Iran
  • Republicans are forced to update their platform (again)

america always had slavery and still has. money distribution in america shows the average working gets paid 1/380 a month of what a 1% person makes in an hour. my shackles are hurting right now :l

i hope you don't think that those 1% aren't sitting in their throne laughing at us while we work our asses off for barely a scrape of what they make

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff