Welcome to Gaia! ::

So as the world turns, there are still protests on a global scale and as a result, you are going to get megalomaniacs like al-Assad killing protestors to stay in power. So who do the people go to for help? The US? Not unless you are a strategic land. Well it seems like the recent contender is stepping up to the plate. France. Yes it seems like the country of France is at it again. This time, they are considering military force against Syria. Now I know that this is only a statement, but it is the first statement that I know of that gives the option of violence towards al-Assad. No other country has suggested it.

My question is this. How is it that France now grew the balls to spearhead wars and called themselves liberators when the war in Afghanistan and Iraq as we all know went brilliantly well? It seems that the west is starting to become belligerent again
God Emperor Akhenaton
So as the world turns, there are still protests on a global scale and as a result, you are going to get megalomaniacs like al-Assad killing protestors to stay in power. So who do the people go to for help? The US? Not unless you are a strategic land. Well it seems like the recent contender is stepping up to the plate. France. Yes it seems like the country of France is at it again. This time, they are considering military force against Syria. Now I know that this is only a statement, but it is the first statement that I know of that gives the option of violence towards al-Assad. No other country has suggested it.

My question is this. How is it that France now grew the balls to spearhead wars and called themselves liberators when the war in Afghanistan and Iraq as we all know went brilliantly well? It seems that the west is starting to become belligerent again

Well, IF the West was acting in concert to try and control other parts of the world, such as the Middle East and Africa, THEN I'd say that someone decided it was France's turn to do something unpopular for a change.

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Isn't France stereotypically TURBO-RAMBO when it comes to military matters?

Given their history I would think they would not be afraid of liberating people.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Bubsy

Given their history I would think they would not be afraid of liberating people.

This. Akhenaton, maybe you should actually learn a thing or two about France instead of just being another mouth-breathing 'FRANCE IS GOING TO WAR? WHO ARE THEY SURRENDERING TO THIS TIME?' fools. France is, and has been for a long time, militarist as ********.

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Disa Uniflora
Bubsy

This. Akhenaton, maybe you should actually learn a thing or two about France instead of just being another mouth-breathing 'FRANCE IS GOING TO WAR? WHO ARE THEY SURRENDERING TO THIS TIME?' fools. France is, and has been for a long time, militarist as ********]
I just keep thinking about how France dealt with those Somali pirates...

"A kidnapped French Citizen?! SEND IN THE COMMANDOS! "
Disa Uniflora
Bubsy

This. Akhenaton, maybe you should actually learn a thing or two about France instead of just being another mouth-breathing 'FRANCE IS GOING TO WAR? WHO ARE THEY SURRENDERING TO THIS TIME?' fools. France is, and has been for a long time, militarist as ********]
The last time France was militarist before Libya was in Vietnam 50 years ago. Since then, they wouldn't even touch a conflict. They wouldn't even provide military support to Algeria.
Bubsy
Disa Uniflora
Bubsy

I just keep thinking about how France dealt with those Somali pirates...

"A kidnapped French Citizen?! SEND IN THE COMMANDOS! "

The use of the GIGN is not uncommon. After all, they are an antiterror unit. But deploying special forces is not always an act of war.
I guess the difference is that France is saying let's invade to prevent a genocide, which is arguable, and d**k Cheney said let's invade to I don't know why exactly actually, I just like invading places.

I'm not opposed to the use of military force to prevent humanitarian crises. We probably should start threatening military intervention in Syria.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
God Emperor Akhenaton
Disa Uniflora
Bubsy

The last time France was militarist before Libya was in Vietnam 50 years ago. Since then, they wouldn't even touch a conflict. They wouldn't even provide military support to Algeria.

Sure, and that's why France has maintained the third largest stockpile of nuclear weapons and one of the most well-funded militaries in the world for decades. That must also be why they took part in the Gulf War, Bosnian War, the US-led invasion of Afghanistan, and have aggressively protected their interests abroad, that being the case during the Rwandan Genocide, in Chad, and in Côte d'Ivoire.

It should actually be criminal to espouse the sort of nonsense that you do as though any of it has any basis in reality. Honestly, if you're going to be completely ignorant regarding international relations and history then at least keep your mouth shut instead of infecting others.

Also, wouldn't provide military support to Algeria? Seriously? I can't imagine why, I thought they were getting along so well aside from that extremely minor eight year long war of independence they fought. By the way, that happened after your arbitrary cut-off point, the French evacuation of Vietnam. Just driving home how not qualified you are to be talking about this or... anything.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Disa Uniflora
Bubsy

Agreed. They just haven't always been the best at successfully completing what they start (at least not in the past century or so.)
France is probably one of the most militarised nations in the world, if not NATO and the West. Besides the obvious superpowers of Russia and China the only other country with a comparable military is Britain. Calling them Surrender Monkeys is just wrong.
N3bu
France is probably one of the most militarised nations in the world, if not NATO and the West. Besides the obvious superpowers of Russia and China the only other country with a comparable military is Britain. Calling them Surrender Monkeys is just wrong.
They're the only authorized nuclear weapon state to adamantly refuse to completely disarm; even Russia is more willing to forgo the bomb.
N3bu

Uhhh. Israel and both Koreas are far more militarized. Also a lot of the Persian Gulf states for that matter. Also, even if we're only talking military, I have a difficult time calling Russia superpower anymore.

Presumably we're also talking about countries outside of the US.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Vercingetorix VII
N3bu

Uhhh. Israel and both Koreas are far more militarized. Also a lot of the Persian Gulf states for that matter. Also, even if we're only talking military, I have a difficult time calling Russia superpower anymore.

Its quite difficult to be more militarized than Israel. Egypt is pretty damn militarized too.

N3bu
Presumably we're also talking about countries outside of the US.

I should hope we are. The US is extremely militarized, we're like ancient Rome in that aspect (IMHO), we just can't seem to shake our tendency of violence and war.

EDIT: By the way, I love your signature. Chuang-Tzu was one of the best Chinese "philosophers" in my opinion. His writing always makes me smile. One of my favorites is the part about the 3,000 year old turtle shell ornament. "I prefer to drag my tail in the mud."
God Emperor Akhenaton

Im surprised Turkey isnt threatening military action, since literally Syrian forces are firing into Turkish territory to kill fleeing civilians.

Im against the Syrian government, the Islamist militants blending in with the rebels and the Western/NATO forces.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff