Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
The only reason the US is reluctant to step in is over concern for alienating the few favorable dispositions we have been able to capture out of the Middle East. Oh, and oil, can't forget that nagging concern.
Vercingetorix VII
N3bu
France is probably one of the most militarised nations in the world, if not NATO and the West. Besides the obvious superpowers of Russia and China the only other country with a comparable military is Britain. Calling them Surrender Monkeys is just wrong.

Uhhh. Israel and both Koreas are far more militarized. Also a lot of the Persian Gulf states for that matter. Also, even if we're only talking military, I have a difficult time calling Russia superpower anymore.

Presumably we're also talking about countries outside of the US.

I meant in terms of gross spending.

I would still consider Russia to be the second strongest military in the world right now. Just because the USSR collapsed just mean their military spending went away.
You know that this is a largely known quantitiy, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Actually most experts think that China's spending more than what we know of.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
The trouble with Russia is that they're the biggest and most powerful nation that openly perceives hard military power and traditional expansionist methods as being the core of their position in the world. Even the US, which overwhelms all comers militarily, is easily an economic power first, and all other super powers and great powers of tomorrow likewise get there (hypothetically, I suppose I'm speaking) via economic power.

I want very badly for Russia to not experience a resurgence. If they stay relegated in the B-tier of nation states then I'm actually quite optimistic about the stability of the international system for this century. I expect there'd still be the odd catastrophe, but a renewed Soviet Union would ensure that things would be much worse.
Russian troops will be training with US soldiers under "anti terror" drills and a host of city wide situations.
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/foreign-policy/11655-russian-troops-coming-to-us-for-terror-drills-dod-confirms

Makes me ******** sick to my stomach.
Its like red dawn is happening...but the US government is openly inviting it. Whats next, red chinese troops working with the US military? How about Saudi troops too? We'll just have every psychopathic country be friendsies with us, under the 'war on terror' hoax

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
pockybot
Russian troops will be training with US soldiers under "anti terror" drills and a host of city wide situations.
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/foreign-policy/11655-russian-troops-coming-to-us-for-terror-drills-dod-confirms

Its like red dawn is happening...but the US government is openly inviting it. Whats next, red chinese troops working with the US military? How about Saudi troops too? We'll just have every psychopathic country be friendsies with us, under the 'war on terror' hoax
You dislike everything.
Camera Stellata
pockybot

You dislike everything.

There's a lot of countries I love. Theres just a few totalitarian ones(Sudan, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, China, Russia, etc) I happen to not think fondly of.
pockybot
Camera Stellata
pockybot

You dislike everything.

There's a lot of countries I love. Theres just a few totalitarian ones(Sudan, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, China, Russia, etc) I happen to not think fondly of.

Russia is calm compared to most of the ones that you posted in that list.

Seriously, I know Russia has its issues but ******** it's better than Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, etc.

Hell, I'm pretty sure it's better than Iran.

And Iran's not that bad (although it's pretty ******** bad).

Also, I think this is a good thing not a bad thing.

OMFG military cooperation with the Russians OH NOO!
More like Oh yes!
You do infact want military cooperation because I see it as a sign of trying to improve relations.
And there's nothing wrong with wanting to improve relations with the Russians.
Unless you have a Cold War mentality.
Wraith of Azrael
pockybot
Camera Stellata
pockybot

You dislike everything.

Seriously, I know Russia has its issues but ******** it's better than Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, etc.

More like Oh yes!
You do infact want military cooperation because I see it as a sign of trying to improve relations.

America has done cross training with other countries for awhile...but the whole 'anti terror drills' to me is just code word for something else. Sure in an emergency more boots on the ground helping people in a disaster relief the better. And weve seen the US military used for good(like in Haiti 2009) But if foreign troops were ever used to harass(or worse) US citizens...I can see a lot of people not taking too kindly too that
pockybot
Wraith of Azrael
pockybot
Camera Stellata
pockybot

You dislike everything.

More like Oh yes!

America has done cross training with other countries for awhile...but the whole 'anti terror drills' to me is just code word for something else. Sure in an emergency more boots on the ground helping people in a disaster relief the better. And weve seen the US military used for good(like in Haiti 2009) But if foreign troops were ever used to harass(or worse) US citizens...I can see a lot of people not taking too kindly too that

Damn you're paranoid.
Vercingetorix VII
pockybot
Wraith of Azrael
pockybot
Camera Stellata
pockybot

You dislike everything.

More like Oh yes!

Damn you're paranoid.

I recall Blackwater, racist cops, and others shooting unarmed black civilians and prying guns from grannies hands in Katrina ravaged New Orleans. Might not even take a disaster like that for the government and proxy PMCs or foreign UN troops to act as military police.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff