Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
A knight's basic role in society is to take out the hierarchy's wrath on peasants who disobey the law or don't pay their taxes. His ability to do as he pleases with the peasants otherwise is just a bonus.

Jeering Regular

Death Magnificent
I don't like that. The government can do anything it wants to do, and we are compelled to follow by threat of force.
I suppose if we were living in a dictatorship that might be true, though dictatorships tend to have a fairly short shelf life. You do realize we have the whole Madisonian checks and balances thing, right? The federal government is made up of people, has limited and enumerated powers, et cetera, et cetera. The U.S. government is the oldest modern government system, and has lasted so long specifically because it is relatively inoffensive. The fear you are expressing isn't really grounded in reality.

Death Magnificent
Interesting. They wouldn't let it happen twice, though.
Who is they and what won't they let happen? We're talking about a legal decision. People have a right to self-defense against unlawful police violence.

Of course, it has to be unlawful. If they have a warrant, announce themselves, et cetera, you're really better off surrendering and fighting the thing in courts.

Death Magnificent
I have so many grievances that listing them is too much goddamn work. I don't like how my government has been operating since its origination, so I'd like it replaced.
So, basically you just hate America, for unspecified reasons.

How very reasonable of you.

Death Magnificent
Ah, but wasn't it only for white men at first? I just like the idea of rights, and of not letting people ******** with them, so I suppose I'm really just inspired by that.
Indeed it was. But ******** with people's rights is exactly what has allowed for it to not just be white men. We had to remove the right to own slaves so that blacks could have their own rights. We had to dilute the voting rights of white men to extend the franchise to everybody. We had to limit the rights of property and business owners to stamp out segregation and discrimination and ensure equal protection of all people. For every harm, you either have a right to be free of that harm, to seek recompense or an injunction against such behavior, or others essentially have a right to harm you.

Death Magnificent
Some people tell those who're complaining about rights not yet recognised that they're entitled. They might have a point in that rights are not simply handed out just like that. There has to be unstoppable unrest.
Not really. The modern privacy right exists because Samuel Warren and Louis Brandeis (later Justice Brandeis) wrote an influential scholarly article. Frankly, a lot of what we think of as rights come from legal and policy decisions from people just thinking out a problem and deciding to set down a rule.
Synoxide
      Or at least the northern half of N. America.
      It was nice knowing you guys.

In other news: North Korea threw their annual pissy fit.

HOLY s**t WWIII IS STARTING TOMORROW! NICE KNOWING YOU GUYS!
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent
It is not smart to give one group all the guns. Simple precaution.

Elaborate please, before I'm forced to assume your argument.

I don't think the government should directly command all the decent firepower in the country, is all. I don't trust the government, they shot up a school in the 70s on some Boston Massacre s**t.

Indeed. Because your Assault weapons are going to help you stop all the Governments.... Tanks.... And Drones.... And Missiles.... And Air-Craft Carriers.... And Nuclear Submarines.

Is what I love about you "If it ain't for my Assault Rifle, The Guvment cud just walk in and take over." in your charming little Fantasy the Government is mentally handicapped and only sends a handful of agents with hand guns after people. Not, you know, tanks and jet-fighters and high tech stealth attack-drones, and far more effective s**t.
Death Magnificent

And yet, I don't see calls for private ownership of attack drones, tanks, aircraft carriers, and so on and so forth.

Because the year is in fact, 1775, we are communicating through a magical Quill and Parchment like device, and if the government bears down on you, one needs only his handy musket to fend off the full force of their strength.
Mimetic Hybrid
Instead of targeting the scapegoat and using gun control as a means to limit people's rights, instead Democrats and Republicans need to target the actual problem - a lack of supervision/detainment of mentally impaired. Normal, sane individuals do not contemplate not carry out plans of a mass shooting spree

Yes-suh, why, I'm only a simple man, know mosta you from the market, or church, but I say if the Government believes somebody to be mentally impaired, they should have the right to march into that persons house, arrest them. Now whadayall say? I muhself think giving the government the authority to arrest innocent people who have committed no crime, because the Government thinks they might some day commit a crime, sounds like a right dandy idea. I can't imagine any way such a power could be horribly misused to perform countless abuses upon the American people.

Because detaining a person who has committed no crime isn't limiting their rights. But taking away their guns? You better believe that is.

Magical Girl

Andy French
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent

I don't think the government should directly command all the decent firepower in the country, is all. I don't trust the government, they shot up a school in the 70s on some Boston Massacre s**t.

Indeed. Because your Assault weapons are going to help you stop all the Governments.... Tanks.... And Drones.... And Missiles.... And Air-Craft Carriers.... And Nuclear Submarines.

Is what I love about you "If it ain't for my Assault Rifle, The Guvment cud just walk in and take over." in your charming little Fantasy the Government is mentally handicapped and only sends a handful of agents with hand guns after people. Not, you know, tanks and jet-fighters and high tech stealth attack-drones, and far more effective s**t.
[Informative]

I thinks its more of an "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees" mindset as opposed to thinking they actually stand a chance.
HMS Thunder Child
Andy French
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent

[Informative]

I thinks its more of an "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees" mindset as opposed to thinking they actually stand a chance.

Hmmm. Fair enough.
Synoxide
      Or at least the northern half of N. America.
      It was nice knowing you guys.

Got proof?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Quit with the necroposting, -Soul in this universe-.
Andy French
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent

a fighter jet, an aircraft carrier, a subarmine, is exactly ******** useful for engaging an insurgency.

you also cannot occupy an area with fighter jets, you need boots on the ground for that, and semi automatic rifles will kill them just fine.
Tadpole Jackson
Andy French
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent

a fighter jet, an aircraft carrier, a subarmine, is exactly ******** useful for engaging an insurgency.

you also cannot occupy an area with fighter jets, you need boots on the ground for that, and semi automatic rifles will kill them just fine.

Insurgencies don't care about territory. The best way to get rid of an insurgency is with extermination and jets do a better job at that than troops.
So tell me what exactly can a resistance do against this?
God Emperor Akhenaton
Tadpole Jackson
Andy French
Death Magnificent
N3bu
Death Magnificent

Insurgencies don't care about territory. The best way to get rid of an insurgency is with extermination and jets do a better job at that than troops.

bull s**t they do.
God Emperor Akhenaton
So tell me what exactly can a resistance do against this?

Kill the pilot while he's on the ground and out of his jet.

Kill the mechanic who fixes it.

Kill the fuel truck driver who delivers the fuel it uses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff