Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Y'know, one thing they might consider is removing the drone program from the authority of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is perhaps the least trustworthy organization within the US federal government.

You know, with a law. Sometimes lawmakers pass laws, like this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Pinkerton_Act

They should take PMCs from the State Department while they're at it.
Complex Systems

The issue is that Eric Holder and President Obama have not defined rules of engagement for what exactly constitutes "engaged in combat." This is another reach around, and I was actually fairly disgusted with Rand today when he accepted this as an answer. This still leaves the ability for Obama to use (effectively) his own judgment to order a drone strike on American soil in "extreme" circumstances, that he promises he won't.

This wasn't an answer.

Or is it just not the answer you were wanting to hear?

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
Complex Systems

The issue is that Eric Holder and President Obama have not defined rules of engagement for what exactly constitutes "engaged in combat." This is another reach around, and I was actually fairly disgusted with Rand today when he accepted this as an answer. This still leaves the ability for Obama to use (effectively) his own judgment to order a drone strike on American soil in "extreme" circumstances, that he promises he won't.

This wasn't an answer.

The question was for the Obama administration to clarify the grounds under which it would carry out a military drone strike in the US. The Obama administration fed him a "maybe, maybe not," just as they had before.

Smoker

He's gonna get whacked, talking like that. People who ******** with the CIA get ******** with.

Smoker

Wendigo
Y'know, one thing they might consider is removing the drone program from the authority of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is perhaps the least trustworthy organization within the US federal government.

You know, with a law. Sometimes lawmakers pass laws, like this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Pinkerton_Act

They should take PMCs from the State Department while they're at it.

It takes integrity, self-sacrifice, and sincerity to stand up against the current government-versus-the-rest-of-us agenda as a politician. I know of no politician who possesses those qualities.
Complex Systems
Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
Complex Systems

This wasn't an answer.

The question was for the Obama administration to clarify the grounds under which it would carry out a military drone strike in the US. The Obama administration fed him a "maybe, maybe not," just as they had before.

Looked more like a "No" than a "Maybe" of any kind.

Liberal Genius

The Infamous Unami
Kudos to Rand Paul.

Eric Holder's revelation that this administration thinks such tactics are perfectly legal on US soil was alarming. Drawing attention to it is a excellent use the filibuster. Even if it is a filibuster doomed to fail.

Rand Paul: Do you believe that the President has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and without trial?

Eric Holder: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyes

Distinct Cutie-Pie

While I am a liberal at heart I do like Rand Paul's decision to actually use the filibuster as intended and talk it out instead for all 13 hours. I am very much for the reform that would require it to revert to the old school means of filibustering like this. And additionally while I understand the administration has said that they can't drone strike anywhere anytime the whole issue makes me nervous and calling more attention to it with a filibuster is not something I'm opposed to. I would prefer things be firmed up so that I can read it not just in some top secret document for someone else's eyes only. Transparency is always best imo.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Agent Thrax

It takes integrity, self-sacrifice, and sincerity to stand up against the current government-versus-the-rest-of-us agenda as a politician. I know of no politician who possesses those qualities.
Russ Feingold did, he didn't make it through the...whatever you want to call it, a few years ago.

ariaore
I am very much for the reform that would require it to revert to the old school means of filibustering like this.
I find the other kind difficult to wrap my head around.
I'm a huge Rand Paul supporter. I've never been concerned if whether the government believes it has the right to just go around killing Americans without trial. It's just silly. The amount of time it took to get an answer to such a simple and obvious question was frightening. I'm glad Paul is getting more attention and I hope it holds up to 2016.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff