Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wendigo
Seems that the law is this here:

Section 13A-6-23 - Menacing.

(a) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by physical action, he intentionally places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(b) Menacing is a Class B misdemeanor.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2110.)

That class of misdemeanors carrying these penalties:

Class B Misdemeanor
Maximum jail time: Up to six months in jail (either a county or city jail)
Maximum fine: Up to $1,000

Doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not a deadly weapon was involved, although some places that'd turn it into a felony.

Agreed, but it still indicates that the officers can remove the weaponry. I am baffled as to why they hadn't done so.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Seems that the law is this here:

Section 13A-6-23 - Menacing.

(a) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by physical action, he intentionally places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(b) Menacing is a Class B misdemeanor.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2110.)

That class of misdemeanors carrying these penalties:

Class B Misdemeanor
Maximum jail time: Up to six months in jail (either a county or city jail)
Maximum fine: Up to $1,000

Doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not a deadly weapon was involved, although some places that'd turn it into a felony.

Agreed, but it still indicates that the officers can remove the weaponry. I am baffled as to why they hadn't done so.

I think the keyword in all of that is "Can"

Mega Noob

What will you pay the man who comes to confiscate firearms from a dangerous, paranoid lunatic?
Heimdalr
What will you pay the man who comes to confiscate firearms from a dangerous, paranoid lunatic?

Considering the fact they put him in handcuffs? At that time they get standard...wait...they're supposed to be police and their JOB is to arrest these guys.

Mega Noob

Old Blue Collar Joe
Heimdalr

Considering the fact they put him in handcuffs? At that time they get standard...wait...they're supposed to be police and their JOB is to arrest these guys.

It might not be that easy. Perhaps the cops value safety and figure it convenient to go to the donut shack today and confront Crazy Mr. Trigger Finger tomorrow, and the next day, ad infinitum.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
During what process preliminary to the hearing he skipped out on? All they had before this whole murder-kidnapping deal of his were allegations.

Plus, there's a good chance he's got better hardware than the police, small town like that. They probably never have to deal with screwballs like this normally.

Aged Lunatic

Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
I'm trying to figure out how in the hell his firearms weren't confiscated. ANY violent charge, especially one involving discharge of a firearm in this area (and we're Alabama's neighbor) they take all your firearms until the case is over.
I'm not all that familiar with Alabama law enforcement. However, the offense in question is apparently a misdemeanor with a possible six month jail term attached. Which sounds light to me, personally, since he was basically threatening his neighbors' lives. Maybe the state/county/city approaches this kind of thing with a point of view sympathetic to the discharger over the dischargee; I don't know.

From what I can find, they can take his guns.
I have no idea why they didn't.

Beat me to it. This guy's got red flags on him like quills on a porcupine. No business legally owning a firearm. I wouldn't trust this kook with a pocket knife.

Aged Lunatic

Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
During what process preliminary to the hearing he skipped out on? All they had before this whole murder-kidnapping deal of his were allegations.

Plus, there's a good chance he's got better hardware than the police, small town like that. They probably never have to deal with screwballs like this normally.

No SRT team in the region of that state tho? Even this podunk hole in the wall has a SWAT equivalent that can be called in when you have, I don't know, a kidnapper with a ******** arsenal.
GunsmithKitten
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe

No SRT team in the region of that state tho? Even this podunk hole in the wall has a SWAT equivalent that can be called in when you have, I don't know, a kidnapper with a ******** arsenal.

I don't know one podunk town down south were at the very least the police have some M-4's sitting in a locekr.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
GunsmithKitten
Maybe in the state. Of course, since he started this standoff, it's been up to the FBI negotiators to talk him down through an air pipe so he doesn't do something rash like slit the kid's throat.

Looks like the latest is he wants a reporter to descend into his bunker to talk.
Wendigo
GunsmithKitten
Maybe in the state. Of course, since he started this standoff, it's been up to the FBI negotiators to talk him down through an air pipe so he doesn't do something rash like slit the kid's throat.

Looks like the latest is he wants a reporter to descend into his bunker to talk.

Well, the FBI negotiators are a lot more skilled than local cops at talking to psychotic ********. It can be very easy to trip this loon over the line.
Although I would be loathe to send a reporter down in the hole.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Here's a better explanation of the guy's life:

Quote:
Government records and interviews with neighbors indicate that Dykes joined the Navy in Midland City, serving on active duty from 1964 to 1969. His record shows several awards, including the Vietnam Service Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. During his service, Dykes was trained in aviation maintenance.

Adams said that he, too, is a Vietnam veteran but that he never was close with Dykes. Adams said he recalls last seeing Dykes in the 1980s, when he drove a truck for a company that laundered uniforms.

At some point after his time in the Navy, Dykes lived in Florida, where he worked as a surveyor and a long-haul truck driver. It's unclear how long he stayed there.

He had some scrapes with the law in Florida, including a 1995 arrest for improper exhibition of a weapon. The misdemeanor was dismissed. He also was arrested for marijuana possession in 2000.

He returned to Alabama about two years ago, moving onto the rural tract about 100 yards from his nearest neighbors, Michael Creel and his father, Greg. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/03/16829819-slain-bus-driver-mourned-as-alabama-hostage-standoff-drags-on?lite

Apparently not real close to his family. Also, I gather he's a "Vietnam era" veteran, but he was actually stationed in Japan. (Not to say he couldn't have had traumatic wartime experiences all the same, but the experience would be different there than in Vietnam itself.)
GunsmithKitten
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe

I don't know the average size of a podunk in the US, but Midland has about 2000 people, probably the biggest residential area in a county of 50,000. I wouldn't expect much.
And now the ******** is dead!

...E nessuno di valore e perduto!
is survivalist really the appropriate term by now?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff