Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Including for abortion providers.

Quote:
A Republican lawmaker from North Carolina is seeking a return to the days of public hangings, according to WRAL-TV.

Rep. Larry Pittman delivered an email this week to every member of the state’s General Assembly, describing that hangings needed to be reinstated as a “deterrent to crime,” including those who provide abortions.

“We need to make the death penalty a real deterrent again by actually carrying it out,” Pittman wrote. “Every appeal that can be made should have to be made at one time, not in a serial manner. If murderers (and I would include abortionists, rapists, and kidnappers, as well) are actually executed, it will at least have the deterrent effect upon them. For my money, we should go back to public hangings, which would be more of a deterrent to others, as well.”

Pitmman, whose radical position was driven by an inmate bragging about life in prison and delaying his execution date, said he intended the email to be sent to just one colleague instead of the entire chamber.

The last legal public hanging in America occurred in 1936 in Owensboro, Kentucky.

(H/T Think Progress)

I love it when news reads like a troll thread from ED.
Only in America!

And possibly in some Islamic countries...
Less Than Liz

Quote:
A Republican lawmaker from North Carolina is seeking a return to the days of public hangings, according to WRAL-TV.

Rep. Larry Pittman delivered an email this week to every member of the state’s General Assembly, describing that hangings needed to be reinstated as a “deterrent to crime,” including those who provide abortions.

“We need to make the death penalty a real deterrent again by actually carrying it out,” Pittman wrote. “Every appeal that can be made should have to be made at one time, not in a serial manner. If murderers (and I would include abortionists, rapists, and kidnappers, as well) are actually executed, it will at least have the deterrent effect upon them. For my money, we should go back to public hangings, which would be more of a deterrent to others, as well.”

Pitmman, whose radical position was driven by an inmate bragging about life in prison and delaying his execution date, said he intended the email to be sent to just one colleague instead of the entire chamber.

The last legal public hanging in America occurred in 1936 in Owensboro, Kentucky.

(H/T Think Progress)

Ever notice how during election seasons stupid takes steroids? Wow. While I have absolutely no issue with executing rapists, child molesters and a lot of murderers, hanging them up like unemployed Pinata's just doesn't appeal to me.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Side note: As a consequence of working in a huge-a** office during college, I hate people who use 'reply all' - like a seething, fiery hate - and think this guy completely deserves whatever flack he gets on that ground alone.
Less Than Liz
Side note: As a consequence of working in a huge-a** office during college, I hate people who use 'reply all' - like a seething, fiery hate - and think this guy completely deserves whatever flack he gets on that ground alone.

Strangely, I have an aversion to that button. I always select who I'm going to reply to individually so I make certain only the people I want get an email.
Less Than Liz

Quote:

(H/T Think Progress)

if we are going to go this far in hanging people who kill we should certainly line up any military people who have killed other people, and the politicians who voted for war, and the commanding officers who ordered murder.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Nuts, I hope he was gonna be an advocate for a shooting execution over the injection method as price cuts in tough economic times. emotion_awesome But this is more entertaining

Oh man, I can't imagine myself being able to stop giggling if I received that email. I hope people laughed in his face.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Less Than Liz

Quote:

(H/T Think Progress)

Ever notice how during election seasons stupid takes steroids? Wow. While I have absolutely no issue with executing rapists, child molesters and a lot of murderers, hanging them up like unemployed Pinata's just doesn't appeal to me.

Lovely sentiment. Why not execute all criminals?
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Less Than Liz

Quote:

(H/T Think Progress)

Because, outside of rapists and child molesters, I am adamantly against a one size fits all mentality.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Less Than Liz

Quote:

(H/T Think Progress)

Because, outside of rapists and child molesters, I am adamantly against a one size fits all mentality.

Murders, child molesters, and rapists, apparently. Seems like one sizing fitting a pretty wide array of crimes.
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Less Than Liz

Quote:

(H/T Think Progress)

Murders, child molesters, and rapists, apparently. Seems like one sizing fitting a pretty wide array of crimes.

I didn't say murders, did I? People can commit a murder as a crime of passion. They deserve punishment, but not execution. Rapists and child molesters? Nah. Those are willful acts that take some planning in advance and, thus, remove themselves from consideration of mercy.
Shoot 'em. hang em. Make them be test pilots for trebuchet's, I don't care. Just get rid of them. They're a blight and not worth the effort.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe

I didn't say murders, did I? People can commit a murder as a crime of passion. They deserve punishment, but not execution. Rapists and child molesters? Nah. Those are willful acts that take some planning in advance and, thus, remove themselves from consideration of mercy.
Shoot 'em. hang em. Make them be test pilots for trebuchet's, I don't care. Just get rid of them. They're a blight and not worth the effort.

Uh, unless I just imagined that, yes. Yes, you did.
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Old Blue Collar Joe

Uh, unless I just imagined that, yes. Yes, you did.

I said a lot of murderers, not all. Child molesters, I'd have to put in a case of a 22 year old that sleeps with a 17 year old as being a different issue as well.
But I have to retract the 'all' rapists as well. It would really have to be, and this goes for all crimes I am pro-death penalty on, irrefutable evidence.
So, between this, trying to repeal child labor laws, several whom seem to be trying to roll back the calendar on domestic violence, I guess it is true that Conservatives want to set us back a hundred years.

Which is great, as far as I'm concerned, because I get to use turn of the century slang.

Interesting Codger

2,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
With the exception of abortionists, I can't say I'd be particularly upset if his idea was put into practice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff