Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Genius

This past weekend I was at the Ontario Liberal Party Leadership Convention. For all you party politics nerds, that means I had gone as an "alternate delegate", a someone who replaces the spot of a delegate. I campaigned for the fire-brand BAD-a** ********' candidate Sandra Pupatello, but I was fine if the super-nice Kathleen Wynne orCharles Sousa's sexy sports-announcer baritone had won. A Harinder Takhar or Gerard Kennedy win would have been a worst-case scenario for me and the party, as the former speaks extreme monotone and proposes far tougher austerity than we require, while the latter has no knowledge of economics and had bolstered an avid contempt for business and the free market in a conversation I had with him when I hosted him for a local fundraiser to his food bank. Yeah, my party's a weird mixture of left-wingers and right-wingers who happen to work together, so what of it?

Alas, Kathleen won, and is now slated to be the Premier of Ontario, to be sworn in by the Lieutenant-Governor this week, I presume.

Man, this weekend was awesome, and one of the few I think I will always remember. It was the first and last delegated party leadership convention I attended. Chances are, next year the Party's constitution will be amended to be one-member-one-vote and this voting will likely be done online by adopting the Liberal Party of Canada's system that will be implemented for April's federal leadership.

I digress though. I've met Kathleen on many occasions, and she truly is a genuine individual; a straight-talking fighter for social justice, strong public infrastructure, education reform, entrepreneurship, efficient government, and cutting the deficit. She really is a wonderful lady and above all, she gets it.

Oh, and she's openly a lesbian, leading the largest province in Canada, and my traditional nuclear family has yet to break apart.

One more nail in the coffin of social conservatism in Ontario, and in Canada. ******** the homophobes.

This was a race where the slate of candidates running were the most diverse. The two front-runners were both women, who collectively held more than 55% of the delegate count. Some amongst the latter were a gay man, an Indo-Canadian immigrant, a first generation Portuguese-Canadian. This is the happiest and proudest I've been of my political party.

[********] Yes.

Wynne Now.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I wanted to like this thread but you should be ashamed of that pun.

Ashamed.

Liberal Genius

Less Than Liz
I wanted to like this thread but you should be ashamed of that pun.

Ashamed.

From here on out I'm campaigning for the Wynne.
The Ontario Liberal leadership is no prize though, since the Libs are in third place in the polls.

Secondly, the prorogation was a bad idea (understatement!) and I'm not going to say anything good about Wynne until she admits that in public.

Liberal Genius

azulmagia
The Ontario Liberal leadership is no prize though, since the Libs are in third place in the polls.

Secondly, the prorogation was a bad idea (understatement!) and I'm not going to say anything good about Wynne until she admits that in public.

Polls mean jackshit. I'm sure you realized that looking at the elections in the past few years. Remember how the Ontario Liberals turned around a 10 point lag behind the PCs? Remember the Orange Crush? Remember when Wildrose actually DIDN'T win?

Running a leadership race WHILE you have a minority government in session is suicidal. Imagine an election being thrown on us while we're in a leadership race. Insane.

To Wynne's credit, she's resuming ASAP.
AnarchoPhiliac
Running a leadership race WHILE you have a minority government in session is suicidal. Imagine an election being thrown on us while we're in a leadership race. Insane.

There shouldn't be leadership races, either, to be honest.

Liberal Genius

azulmagia
AnarchoPhiliac

There shouldn't be leadership races, either, to be honest.

Because clearly, a last minute constitutional convention to change the OLP's constitution on party leadership, while convincing thousands upon thousands of members to support such a change, is far more feasible.

I get what you mean and understand where you are coming from though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff