Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is New York's new gun control law a good idea?

Yes. 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Yes to some parts, no to others. 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 5 ]
No. It'll be completely ineffective. 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Bad legislation is bad. 0.3 30.0% [ 9 ]
Teh gubment gunna take our gunz! 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 30 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wendigo
Totally Oblivious
It appears we agree that unless someone is in the public square making threats, or has a history of shooting people up, it's useless to rely on medical professionals to be able to point them out without violating their obligation to the patient.
No, they can make their threats privately, or become obsessive over violent acts, without actually having a history of violence, and still necessitate an intervention by their therapist. The Colorado shooter Holmes, for example, allegedly told his psychiatrist that he was "fantasizing about killing a lot of people," but would not have met either of those conditions prior to the shooting spree in the theater.

His doc is going to have so much fun with this ensuing litigation.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Less Than Liz
Wendigo
Totally Oblivious
It appears we agree that unless someone is in the public square making threats, or has a history of shooting people up, it's useless to rely on medical professionals to be able to point them out without violating their obligation to the patient.
No, they can make their threats privately, or become obsessive over violent acts, without actually having a history of violence, and still necessitate an intervention by their therapist. The Colorado shooter Holmes, for example, allegedly told his psychiatrist that he was "fantasizing about killing a lot of people," but would not have met either of those conditions prior to the shooting spree in the theater.

Sadly, signs point to her attempting to report and the school dropping the ball. Kinda like with Loughner rly.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wendigo
Less Than Liz
Wendigo
Totally Oblivious

Sadly, signs point to her attempting to report and the school dropping the ball. Kinda like with Loughner rly.

Which doesn't matter. She's still being sued and litigation is (obviously) costly in a number of ways. This new NY law will just continue to clog the courts and potentially lead mental health professionals to be especially cautious. Maybe it'll save lives, but more likely it'll add to the deterioration of trust between them and their patients.
Wendigo
Totally Oblivious

Plus, almost nobody could ever meet the "history of shooting people up" requirement and not already be in prison. Aside from the Jonesboro shooters, who are both out on their own recognizance (having been juveniles at the time), none comes immediately to mind.

And that backs up my assertion. Snitching on patients doesn't work.

Quote:
Quote:
Come to think of it, making threats in public isn't even enough to act on as I have seen many people do it on television without any serious repercussions. People like Ted Nugent, Alex Jones, James Yeager, etc.
There are laws which could be brought to bear for those guys. They don't seem to realize that, but it's true.

James Yeager, for example, had his gun permits revoked by the state of Tennessee. 'Cos he said he'd start killing people with the guns soon, of course.

Did they take away Yeager's guns? I don't recall "permits", especially for firearms, being addressed in the Constitution. Mr. Yeger has a right to have firearms, permits notwithstanding. In fact, i would daresay requiring a permit to have a firearm would be unconstitutional. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you need government permission to own a firearm.
azulmagia
Wait a minute, let me get this right. After every gun massacre, including the latest one, the right wingers cry, "Don't go after guns, go after crazy people." Then they do so and there's a shitstorm.

******** 'em. confused

Why can't we have a massacre without cries for random reforms in unrelated places?
Totally Oblivious
Just erect a memorial to the people who were massacred, thanking them for their sacrifice for our freedoms. It's just the price you have pay for having such freedoms, and we should expect such. Every American should be willing to give their lives to protect the Constitution and all it means and if you aren't willing to do so, renounce your citizenship and go someplace else.

I agree with this.
If I were more patriotic towards America, I'd be willing to die for it. But my loyalty already belongs elsewhere.

Hallowed Hunter

Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
Just erect a memorial to the people who were massacred, thanking them for their sacrifice for our freedoms. It's just the price you have pay for having such freedoms, and we should expect such. Every American should be willing to give their lives to protect the Constitution and all it means and if you aren't willing to do so, renounce your citizenship and go someplace else.
rofl

What's so funny? It appears to be the only solution you'll get any real support for. Patriotic Americans are always willing to sacrifice themselves (or more likely their fellow countrymen) for such ideals and freedoms. Look at how many of these people lined up to serve fighting for their county and its freedoms overseas. Such fervent patriots cannot be ignored. They earned the right through their actions.
They're ******** kids, mang. One got his face shot up. They weren't a sacrifice, they were ******** massacred. They didn't ******** give two shits about the United States of Assica, they were probably too caught up in what they were getting for ******** Christmas. Gun control works, Australia is proof of that. Meanwhile, you've had several hundred people die since.

Your second amendment is s**t, it was written in a time when drones and nukes weren't even twinkles in their grandpappy's eyes. Guns have their uses, but you guys need to fix up your education and health systems before you let every Tom, d**k & Muhammed think they're entitled to own one.

You don't sound American, so I'm sure that's why you don't understand. There is no country quite like ours and we are ferocious about protecting our freedoms, even if a lot of people, yes, even kids, have to die for it. They're Americans and died as such, protecting our Liberty and Freedom. I'm sure the teachers who died understood and should have died with smiles on their faces, knowing their deaths were not in vain. The blood watered the trees of liberty, and although it's sad they were called to do so at such an age, they are honored to do it instead of some horrifying death of illness or old age in a bed.

As for the children? At what age is it to be too young to be covered by the Constitution? I mean, we want to grant such Rights and Freedoms to the fresh union of an eggs and sperm, so these kids are well within that age bracket. They should have known what was asked of them as Americans, even if they might be too young to be able to read about it, unless Mommy and Daddy weren't patriotic enough to read them stories about what it is to be an American at bedtime before putting them to sleep.

Maybe that President can give them each a Presidential Medal of Freedom and name a special day to honor them. It can be a government holiday.

I'm sure everyone would be very glad if you were to be sacrificed.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
azulmagia
Wait a minute, let me get this right. After every gun massacre, including the latest one, the right wingers cry, "Don't go after guns, go after crazy people." Then they do so and there's a shitstorm.

******** 'em. confused

All depends on who is throwing the s**t I think.
Admiral Dardanos
Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
rofl

What's so funny? It appears to be the only solution you'll get any real support for. Patriotic Americans are always willing to sacrifice themselves (or more likely their fellow countrymen) for such ideals and freedoms. Look at how many of these people lined up to serve fighting for their county and its freedoms overseas. Such fervent patriots cannot be ignored. They earned the right through their actions.
They're ******** kids, mang. One got his face shot up. They weren't a sacrifice, they were ******** massacred. They didn't ******** give two shits about the United States of Assica, they were probably too caught up in what they were getting for ******** Christmas. Gun control works, Australia is proof of that. Meanwhile, you've had several hundred people die since.

Your second amendment is s**t, it was written in a time when drones and nukes weren't even twinkles in their grandpappy's eyes. Guns have their uses, but you guys need to fix up your education and health systems before you let every Tom, d**k & Muhammed think they're entitled to own one.

You don't sound American, so I'm sure that's why you don't understand. There is no country quite like ours and we are ferocious about protecting our freedoms, even if a lot of people, yes, even kids, have to die for it. They're Americans and died as such, protecting our Liberty and Freedom. I'm sure the teachers who died understood and should have died with smiles on their faces, knowing their deaths were not in vain. The blood watered the trees of liberty, and although it's sad they were called to do so at such an age, they are honored to do it instead of some horrifying death of illness or old age in a bed.

As for the children? At what age is it to be too young to be covered by the Constitution? I mean, we want to grant such Rights and Freedoms to the fresh union of an eggs and sperm, so these kids are well within that age bracket. They should have known what was asked of them as Americans, even if they might be too young to be able to read about it, unless Mommy and Daddy weren't patriotic enough to read them stories about what it is to be an American at bedtime before putting them to sleep.

Maybe that President can give them each a Presidential Medal of Freedom and name a special day to honor them. It can be a government holiday.

Things can only be considered a sacrifice when they have value. Otherwise, you're just taking out the trash.
Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
rofl

Kinda like the unalienable rights....

Hallowed Hunter

Old Blue Collar Joe
Admiral Dardanos
Totally Oblivious
Noogie
Totally Oblivious

Things can only be considered a sacrifice when they have value. Otherwise, you're just taking out the trash.

Very true.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Admiral Dardanos

Wow, an ad-hominem attack from the peanut gallery with backup from a bitter Southern White Boy. Gotta love it. Too bad neither of you have a patriotic bone in your bodies. If you're not willing to give your life to protect and defend the Constitution, you're each just a fraud and a poser.

You have to get a life to make it worth losing, boys. It seems those kids who died lived a fuller life than either of you two will. Besides Joe, aren't you late for a Klan meeting someplace?
Totally Oblivious
Old Blue Collar Joe
Admiral Dardanos

Wow, an ad-hominem attack from the peanut gallery with backup from a bitter Southern White Boy. Gotta love it. Too bad neither of you have a patriotic bone in your bodies. If you're not willing to give your life to protect and defend the Constitution, you're each just a fraud and a poser.

You have to get a life to make it worth losing, boys. It seems those kids who died lived a fuller life than either of you two will. Besides Joe, aren't you late for a Klan meeting someplace?

Done my tour doing just that. Not one issue defending the constitution.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Less Than Liz
Wendigo

Which doesn't matter. She's still being sued and litigation is (obviously) costly in a number of ways. This new NY law will just continue to clog the courts and potentially lead mental health professionals to be especially cautious. Maybe it'll save lives, but more likely it'll add to the deterioration of trust between them and their patients.
Mind, I meant that it was sad, not that it had a bearing on anybody's legal proceedings.

Totally Oblivious
Patriotic Americans are always willing to sacrifice themselves (or more likely their fellow countrymen) for such ideals and freedoms. Look at how many of these people lined up to serve fighting for their county and its freedoms overseas. Such fervent patriots cannot be ignored. They earned the right through their actions.
imo, this kind of thinking, however sarcastic its expression here, needs to take a hike. Our rights and privileges as US citizens have nothing to do with military service; one doesn't come from the other, lack of one doesn't remove the other. People who believe the opposite don't, in fact, believe in democracy as a system.
Wendigo

Totally Oblivious
Patriotic Americans are always willing to sacrifice themselves (or more likely their fellow countrymen) for such ideals and freedoms. Look at how many of these people lined up to serve fighting for their county and its freedoms overseas. Such fervent patriots cannot be ignored. They earned the right through their actions.
imo, this kind of thinking, however sarcastic its expression here, needs to take a hike. Our rights and privileges as US citizens have nothing to do with military service; one doesn't come from the other, lack of one doesn't remove the other. People who believe the opposite don't, in fact, believe in democracy as a system.

One doesn't need a uniform to be a patriot. None of those kids were in the service, yet they were more patriots than some people I could name here that claim to have worn a uniform. Their sacrifice for the Second Amendment should not be wasted, but remembered and celebrated. They are true heroes along with the six adults, especially the ones who stepped up and gave their lives to the cause.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff