Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is New York's new gun control law a good idea?

Yes. 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Yes to some parts, no to others. 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 5 ]
No. It'll be completely ineffective. 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Bad legislation is bad. 0.3 30.0% [ 9 ]
Teh gubment gunna take our gunz! 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 30 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Knee-jerk reactions all around!

Restrictions on high-capacity magazines, yada yada yada... This is the part that bugs the heck out of me:

Quote:

"The one change that arguably will have the greatest impact is the amendment to Kendra's Law, which will permit closer monitoring of the mentally ill," he said.

That 1999 law grants New York judges the authority to require residents to undergo psychiatric treatment if they meet certain criteria.

The new measures extend Kendra's Law through 2017, expand outpatient treatment from six months to a year and require reviews before such treatment is allowed to expire.

New York's mental health professionals will also be governed by a new set of rules that require them to report their patients to the state should those patients exhibit behavior suggesting they could be harmful to themselves or others.

"We're opening up an unprecedented window into what goes on in the therapy room," said Dr. Paul S. Appelbaum, director of the Division of Law, Ethics, and Psychiatry at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.

"It would effect a major change in the usual presumptions of confidentiality."

So I guess people in New York with diagnosed mental illnesses/those who might be mentally ill don't deserve the privacy of patient-doctor confidentiality that normal people do. Can't wait to see if this will get dragged before the courts.

I've said this before on other sites, and I'll say it here right now: Knee-jerk reaction legislation is never a good idea.

Next up in the reactionary responses parade: Obama's possible gun control plans. Who knows how bad those could be.

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
METALFumasu
Knee-jerk reactions all around!

Restrictions on high-capacity magazines, yada yada yada... This is the part that bugs the heck out of me:

Quote:

"The one change that arguably will have the greatest impact is the amendment to Kendra's Law, which will permit closer monitoring of the mentally ill," he said.

That 1999 law grants New York judges the authority to require residents to undergo psychiatric treatment if they meet certain criteria.

The new measures extend Kendra's Law through 2017, expand outpatient treatment from six months to a year and require reviews before such treatment is allowed to expire.

New York's mental health professionals will also be governed by a new set of rules that require them to report their patients to the state should those patients exhibit behavior suggesting they could be harmful to themselves or others.

"We're opening up an unprecedented window into what goes on in the therapy room," said Dr. Paul S. Appelbaum, director of the Division of Law, Ethics, and Psychiatry at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.

"It would effect a major change in the usual presumptions of confidentiality."

So I guess people in New York with diagnosed mental illnesses/those who might be mentally ill don't deserve the privacy of patient-doctor confidentiality that normal people do. Can't wait to see if this will get dragged before the courts.

I've said this before on other sites, and I'll say it here right now: Knee-jerk reaction legislation is never a good idea.

Next up in the reactionary responses parade: Obama's possible gun control plans. Who knows how bad those could be.

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Same. It's going to have extreme consequences for NY.
I think it's funny that a part of the bill says it's allowed for a gun to have 7-10 rounds, but it can't be loaded with more than 7. Good Luck enforcing that one.
Wait a minute, let me get this right. After every gun massacre, including the latest one, the right wingers cry, "Don't go after guns, go after crazy people." Then they do so and there's a shitstorm.

******** 'em. confused

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
This will work, I'm sure.

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
I guess having screening to get guns is bad then? Mental screening for such things is a must in my opinion.

T'is not the gun nor the seller's fault the gun was used for wrong doing. It's the person behind the gun; the person holding the gun; the person deciding what to do with the gun who is at blame.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
THIS IS NOT KNEE-JERK.

Australia passed legislation within 12 days, by a conservative Prime Minister, to restrict weapons after the Port Headland Massacre.

You guys ain't got s**t.
CaeIeste
I guess having screening to get guns is bad then? Mental screening for such things is a must in my opinion.

T'is not the gun nor the seller's fault the gun was used for wrong doing. It's the person behind the gun; the person holding the gun; the person deciding what to do with the gun who is at blame.

So in other words, scapegoat the population with mental disorders and prevent them from access to guns?

Out of curiosity, how do you determine who has a right to get a gun based on a mental screening? Are there certain mental disorders that disqualify a person from being allowed to own a gun?

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
METALFumasu
CaeIeste

So in other words, scapegoat the population with mental disorders and prevent them from access to guns?

Out of curiosity, how do you determine who has a right to get a gun based on a mental screening? Are there certain mental disorders that disqualify a person from being allowed to own a gun?

Probably someone with a trigger personality. o 3 o
I would say psychopaths but then there are tons and tons of psychopaths in the world. (You're even speaking to one orz)

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Quote:

Not unprecedented.

Let us have a look:

http://www.power2u.org/articles/legal/malpractice.html

That, of course, goes for medical doctors in the mental health field.
i find it interesting that a decades long campaign to promote mental health care and encourage the normalcy of seeking psychiatric care is followed up by legislation treating the people who took that advice like the Monster from Shelley's Frankenstein.

Mega Noob

Most rich countries have this. At the point where a patient is deemed a danger to him/herself and others, the patient-doctor confidentiality is void, and more intrusive methods are considered. That's not communism, that's a psychiatrist coming to terms with the limits of his/her power.
Just erect a memorial to the people who were massacred, thanking them for their sacrifice for our freedoms. It's just the price you have pay for having such freedoms, and we should expect such. Every American should be willing to give their lives to protect the Constitution and all it means and if you aren't willing to do so, renounce your citizenship and go someplace else.
METALFumasu
CaeIeste

Depression would be a good start.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Totally Oblivious
Just erect a memorial to the people who were massacred, thanking them for their sacrifice for our freedoms. It's just the price you have pay for having such freedoms, and we should expect such. Every American should be willing to give their lives to protect the Constitution and all it means and if you aren't willing to do so, renounce your citizenship and go someplace else.
rofl
Noogie
Totally Oblivious
rofl

What's so funny? It appears to be the only solution you'll get any real support for. Patriotic Americans are always willing to sacrifice themselves (or more likely their fellow countrymen) for such ideals and freedoms. Look at how many of these people lined up to serve fighting for their county and its freedoms overseas. Such fervent patriots cannot be ignored. They earned the right through their actions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff