Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Mark Twain 100
So the far right is collectively losing its mind. In an insane attempt to circumvent the rights given to women through Roe vs. Wade, they have come up with a new tactic. Make a bill stating that abortions obtained by rape and incest victims will be considered a third class felony for "tampering with evidence"

Apparently a rape kit, positive pregnancy test, photos of injuries, testimony of attending physicians aren't enough evidence? Will little 11 year old Jenny be sentenced to juve for her mom caring enough to take her for abortion after being raped by her daddy/brother/uncle/cousin/step-father? Will the adult taking her be arrested and jailed for conspiracy to destroy evidence? Will the insanity of these far right pundits ever end?

It's s**t like this that makes one weep for humanity.

Stupid ******** Bill for Proof

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
And if you check in ED, there's an actual debate over whether or not there is indeed a war on women. Proposals like this seem to support that there is

8,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Steam Punk Adept
And if you check in ED, there's an actual debate over whether or not there is indeed a war on women. Proposals like this seem to support that there is

Saw that, haven't read it yet since I was putting this in there and here, but it amazes me the new lows humans can find to sink to with stuff like this.

Mega Noob

Classifying the fetus as evidence seems even less of a pro-life position to me. Where does it belong? If a man crosses the Rio Grande with cocaine condoms implanted in his abdomen, is it not standard operating procedure to remove it? Even if this absurd bill was to pass, I think the only one who's obstructing justice is the one who requires the evidence to not be produced before the passing of nine full months.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
********, I just imagined how long the thing would sit in an evidence locker pending trial.

Mega Noob

[********, I just imagined how long the thing would sit in an evidence locker pending trial.
It would require air conditioning at the very least. But they're more brazen than that. They would decide to treat the fetus as perishable evidence, in order to make an exemption; instead of carrying it to term, the uterus - as the most preserving medium - is leased pending trial, that the victim may experience an abortion and trial in quick succession. That's definitely in the same general league as some of the other disagreeable suggestions out there. "Kick her till she shuts it" season, it seems.
What I don't get is why these places don't just put a sin tax on abortions. A prohibitively high one. You could ban abortions without banning abortions with this. If you catch my drif
Robot Macai
What I don't get is why these places don't just put a sin tax on abortions. A prohibitively high one. You could ban abortions without banning abortions with this. If you catch my drif

Probably because whoever sponsored a bill placing a highly prohibitive sin tax on abortions would have women's rights groups and the pro-choice crowd riding their a** over it. Oh, and others might be screaming class warfare because a sin tax on abortions would make it harder for low-income women to pay for safe, legal abortions, possibly driving them toward getting unsafe abortions on the black market.

However, when I think about it, having a "sin tax" on abortion might not be such a bad idea in the long run. imo, treating it like cigarettes or alcohol is an approach that might actually work. Having a reasonable 'sin tax' on abortion might get people to think before they start hooking up like jackrabbits (Of course, I'm probably giving humans a lot more credit than they deserve when I say that).

Now if a state senator actually came out and proposed what Macai's suggesting, it'd certainly be interesting to see the national reaction.

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
METALFumasu
Robot Macai

Probably because whoever sponsored a bill placing a highly prohibitive sin tax on abortions would have women's rights groups and the pro-choice crowd riding their a** over it. Oh, and others might be screaming class warfare because a sin tax on abortions would make it harder for low-income women to pay for safe, legal abortions, possibly driving them toward getting unsafe abortions on the black market.

However, when I think about it, having a "sin tax" on abortion might not be such a bad idea in the long run. imo, treating it like cigarettes or alcohol is an approach that might actually work. Having a reasonable 'sin tax' on abortion might get people to think before they start hooking up like jackrabbits (Of course, I'm probably giving humans a lot more credit than they deserve when I say that).

Now if a state senator actually came out and proposed what Macai's suggesting, it'd certainly be interesting to see the national reaction.

I think you are giving humans more credit than deserved, darling.
I'm afraid if abortions became less available due to some sort of "sin tax" we'd have many more shows like 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom.
I mean for christ's sake, when I asked my friends why they didn't use a condom, the popular response was "because it makes it not feel as good." emotion_facepalm

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I'm not sure how a prohibitory sin tax would work under our current due process/fundamental right to privacy analysis. Anything that poses a significant burden on access to abortions will be met with much higher scrutiny than it ever would for alcohol and cigarettes. Laws have been struck down in the past on such grounds. The only thing such a tax would have going for it is that you could maybe find this court make-up slightly more inclined not to find a burden than under Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

Malevolent Firestarter

3,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • PvP 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
METALFumasu
Robot Macai

Why would we want to though? What business is it of yours if they hook up like jackrabbits and abortions are had?

Omnipresent Warlord

Why propose a sin tax when states are already making abortion clinics shut down by arbitrarily putting hurdles and restrictions with the sole purpose of driving clinics and planned parenthood out of business? Like mandating ultrasounds, do you think those things are free? They cost the patient money whether they want to see the fetus before they terminate or not.

This de facto ban movement of abortion has been at work for a long time since the supreme court keeps abortion legal. With enough luck, the abortion foes will make clinics and planned parenthood will keep up what they have been doing and remove abortion providers from many states in the South. Then you'll see the back alley abortions happen and people dying that way and the abortion foes will cheer and feel vindicated, I guess.
Ontological Empiricism

I'm afraid if abortions became less available due to some sort of "sin tax" we'd have many more shows like 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom.
I mean for christ's sake, when I asked my friends why they didn't use a condom, the popular response was "because it makes it not feel as good." emotion_facepalm

*headdesk*

You'd think that the condom industry would've solved the "it feels funny" problem by now. I mean, there's obviously a high demand for such a condom...

@Herald of Death: The line of reasoning was that if there was a sin tax on abortion, people might be more responsible with whom they do the horizontal tango, then the amount of unwanted pregnancies that end in abortion would go down, because people would have to consider the consequences of their actions for once.

....Yeah, I'm giving humanity WAY too much credit now. But like Liz said, the possibility of such a sin tax even happening is rather slim.

Magical Girl

Omnileech
Why propose a sin tax when states are already making abortion clinics shut down by arbitrarily putting hurdles and restrictions with the sole purpose of driving clinics and planned parenthood out of business? Like mandating ultrasounds, do you think those things are free? They cost the patient money whether they want to see the fetus before they terminate or not.

This de facto ban movement of abortion has been at work for a long time since the supreme court keeps abortion legal. With enough luck, the abortion foes will make clinics and planned parenthood will keep up what they have been doing and remove abortion providers from many states in the South. Then you'll see the back alley abortions happen and people dying that way and the abortion foes will cheer and feel vindicated, I guess.
[Angry]

I like to think they'll push a bit too hard and the Supreme Court will hand all of their asses to them so hard it'll take them another thirty years or so to be legitimate pains in the asses again.

Magical Girl

METALFumasu
Ontological Empiricism

*headdesk*

You'd think that the condom industry would've solved the "it feels funny" problem by now. I mean, there's obviously a high demand for such a condom...

@Herald of Death: The line of reasoning was that if there was a sin tax on abortion, people might be more responsible with whom they do the horizontal tango, then the amount of unwanted pregnancies that end in abortion would go down, because people would have to consider the consequences of their actions for once.

....Yeah, I'm giving humanity WAY too much credit now. But like Liz said, the possibility of such a sin tax even happening is rather slim.
[Annoyed/Angry]

People might be more responsible if schools actually gave out legitimate sex education courses and birth control was both free and easily accessed.

No other legislation is necessary.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces